Trans Fat Conundrum

Options
I've recently become very motivated to being watching what I eat. As I'm sure many of you can relate - I have a very busy life! And often finding the time to prepare a healthy meal just isn't possible.

Unfortunately this typically happens every Friday night when I get home from work- the babysitter runs out the door. And I start going crazy trying to fend off hyperactive overly hungry children. My wife, knowing this routine, picked up an economy size package of Marie Calendar chicken Pot Pies.

While they fit very nicely into what I should be eating (calorie wise) and is an idea meal that the baby sitter can throw in the oven before I get home, I'm concerned that I lists 2g of trans fat. The office rumor is that trans fat goes straight to your gut and becomes fat. So naturally I'm very concerned that eating this simple little pot pie could lay to waste all my efforts.

I'm I being overly dramatic about the trans fat? Does it really turn into fat? If this pie fits into my over all calorie intake for the day - is it terrible that it contains trans fat? Or should I snub the whole box of pies and let my wife and kids enjoy them? :huh:

Replies

• Cresco299
    Options
    I've recently become very motivated to being watching what I eat. As I'm sure many of you can relate - I have a very busy life! And often finding the time to prepare a healthy meal just isn't possible.

Unfortunately this typically happens every Friday night when I get home from work- the babysitter runs out the door. And I start going crazy trying to fend off hyperactive overly hungry children. My wife, knowing this routine, picked up an economy size package of Marie Calendar chicken Pot Pies.

While they fit very nicely into what I should be eating (calorie wise) and is an idea meal that the baby sitter can throw in the oven before I get home, I'm concerned that I lists 2g of trans fat. The office rumor is that trans fat goes straight to your gut and becomes fat. So naturally I'm very concerned that eating this simple little pot pie could lay to waste all my efforts.

I'm I being overly dramatic about the trans fat? Does it really turn into fat? If this pie fits into my over all calorie intake for the day - is it terrible that it contains trans fat? Or should I snub the whole box of pies and let my wife and kids enjoy them? :huh:
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Options
    Both trans fats and saturated fats increase your bad cholesterol levels and your risk of heart disease. However, since trans fats may also decrease your HDL (“good”) cholesterol (and may have other harmful effects), some experts believe that trans fats may be somewhat worse for you than saturated fats. That doesn’t mean you should eat more saturated fats, or that you should substitute saturated fats for trans fats.

Very small amounts of trans fats occur naturally in some meat and dairy products, so eliminating trans fats to zero is impractical. The Heart Association recommends limiting the amount of trans fats you eat to less than 1 percent of your total daily calories. For example, if you eat 2,000 calories a day, that means less than 20 calories (less than 2 grams) of trans fats a day – and that’s a very small amount. For practical purposes, this means avoiding foods which contain or are prepared with partially hydrogenated vegetable oils.
  • ken7
    ken7 Posts: 46
    Options
    All I know is ....TFA's (Trans Fatty Acids) are not in your favor. They creep into cells & occupy space that could be the good fats your body needs. They are in everything thats prepackaged. For example, cookies, crackers, dougnuts, muffins, chips, pancakes on a stick, instant oatmeal ...ect. You really have to watch the labeling. They are also disguised as "partially hydrogenated vegetable oils" Hence fast foods are the enemy. An average meal from McDonald's, for instance, contains three grams of trans fats. French fries are a NO NO!!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    simply put, trans fats do not exit your body, instead they stay in and clog your arteries up and it has been decided by the scientists that first said hydrgenated products were better than natural now say we should have none at all.

There are a lot of ways to prepare your meals ahead of time. I do mine with my husband on Sundays and that way it only takes an hour or so and then the rest of the week we just need to heat the food up. Another option is a crock pot, you can throw any kind of meat with some veggies in there and wala, instant dinner, plus the house smells yummy when you get home. Pre packaged salads, while a bit more expensive do make it easy on us parents to throw together a salad with some grilled chicken.

It is a new process for you and many others and it takes time but you will figure out ways to make fresh healthy meals that satisfy you and the kids and your time crunch.
  • themonkeybear
    Options
    you're not being overly dramatic... I mean the data's out there and well supported right?

Trans fats are bad.

If I handed you a soft drink with arsenic in it, albeit just a trace amount... would you want to drink it?

In my family unit we've taken to simply referring to Trans-fat as "poison"... an exaggeration?

Not really - have you watched any TV advertising lately?

There's a whole construct out there that spends more money than you or I could ever imagine making on perpetuating your pre-existing (often installed by our parents) expectations about what food "is".

it's soooooo oooo o o o ooooo hard - and I'm no yoda - but have learned a lot.

I can tell you all this stuff starts in your head - and little games like the one I mentioned above ("calling them poison") - is no less a mind game than having some red haired clown show you a picture of a hamburger and printing "I'M LOVIN' IT™" across it.

so... you'd be surprised once you simply just start saying... "huh.. can't eat that... that's poison..." Then suddenly you'll start finding other stuff to eat... We're resourceful little ape descendants! We wouldn't have made it this far were we not..

Instead of rooting around in the forest for nutritious grubs - we're simply rummaging through piles of food-like CRAP now a days.

Anyway - back to that whole "what food is" expectation thing.

Not every meal *can* be a sit-down, wholesome, hot out of the oven experience.

We *are* too busy.

But thankfully we've got great technology available that enables you to have stuff like out of season produce in your refrigerator and there's companies putting out minimally processed foods.

or - like mnbarnum illustrated - you "find" solutions like a crock pot and pre-cook some meals.

You'll find a system... it helps if you start with the voluntary self mind-F#$@.

Then that good ole primate brain of yours will kick in and you'll find ways to feed you and your family... safely.

best of luck
  • Cowboy
    Cowboy Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    What most zero trans fat advertisements fail to mention is that so-called "healthy" oils such as soy oil, salad oil and in particular canola (rapeseed) are highly processed to stabilize them because in their natural state vegetable and seed oils are extremely fragile, vulnerable to light, heat and oxygen. The stabilizing process involves high heat and often chemical deodorizing as part of the refining process. In the process the good nutrients are lost, free radicals and trans fats are formed (this begins to happen at 320 degrees...anyone who has ever fried anything knows that for food not to soak up the oil it has to be at least 350 degrees to fry in). and taste more or less disappears entirely. These oils depress immune functions and in particular canola oil has been implicated with fibrotic heart lesions, negative changes in blood plateles and vitamin E deficiency. Because it is also known to retard growth, the FDA does not allow it to be used in infant formula (but does allow soy oil which is 50% trans fat...go figure!)
    In addition, in most restaurants where these oils are promoted as health preserving, they are often used multiple times (for instance in a deep fat fryer that is on for sometimes 18 hours at a stretch and fries many batches of foods), which further breaks them down until almost the entire fat is a trans-fat.
    If you want to avoid trans fats use coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil and nonhydrogenated peanut oil instead.
    And yes, I did say coconut oil. Coconut oil is probably one of the healthiest oils on earth for you. A furor arose in the early 1980's over thes so-called "tropical oils" which are indeed saturated fats, but it was backed and promoted by...guess who...the American Soybean Association, who lobbied congress and opened hearings on the subject of the dangers of tropical oils. Dr. George Blackburn of Harvard testified that there was nothing wrong with tropical oils, Surgeon General C. Everett Koop called the whole thing "foolishness" but the tropical oils lost and the American soy agri-business lobbies won, and tropical oils were all but banished from the American food supply and replaced with soy oil which is 50% dangerous trans fat.
    So here is the truth about coconut oil: It is a low-fat fat, several calories fewer per gram than all other fats. It has zero cholesterol. It increases metabolic rates. It is an excellent source of fiber. It is used for energy, not easily converted to body fat. It protects against heart disease and cancer. It is naturally organic. It is the safest cooking oil. It contains lauric acid, the protective substance in mother's milk to support the immune system. It has strong antiviral activity: it's effective against herpes and Hepatitis C. It's antimicrobial, antibacterial, antifungal and anti inflammatory. It is full of antioxidents.
    I made a deal with my doctor when I was diagnosed with diabetes that I would eat according to her "rules" regarding carbohydrate intake etc., but that i would eat REAL food...real butter, real cream, real cheese, coconut oil (saturated fat) and that if after six months she felt that my cholesterol or other indicators were poor, THEN I would eat her low fat crap. The bottom line is that I have a total cholesterol of 147. My good cholesterol is above 40, My triglycerides are well below her target...and I lost 60 pounds in the process. Needless to say. I am still eating REAL food and she has changed her mind about much of what passes for nutrition information. The sad thing is that most nutritionists, who should know better, are taught by the special interests who subsidize the text books etc. Food is one hot political football.
    Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox now, but I wanted you all to know.
    Cowboy.
  • betterme
    betterme Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I don't think you are overreacting, rather, under-reacting... if I found out something I was feeding my children had 2 grams of trans fat it would be in the trash no matter what I paid for it. That's just me. I would get that junk out of my house and not let my kids eat it either. Your wife might not be on a diet, but if she were to research trans fats I doubt she'd want to give it to the kids anymore either. Just my 2 cents.
  • Cresco299
    Options
    Wow, all very good information. I appreciate everyone's input. And I agree with you Betterme, I think I'm going to put them in the garbage.

Thanks everyone