Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Question about water retention

For the past two days I've eaten approximately 2,800 mg of salt each day. Roughly 500ish mg over what I'm used to. Could this cause me to retain water temporarily? I'm a female and I'm a little more than 2 pounds heavier today. Thanks!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Yes, of course...
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,730 Member
    Absolutely. I've learned to be careful when I weigh myself. Never weigh after eating out; restaurant meals tend to be really high in sodium.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,745 Member
    Yup.

Also if you have eaten more carbohydrate than usual, that will make you retain water as well.

If you have eaten more food than usual, the food itself will make you weigh a little more for the 24-48 hours it is in your system.

And there are all sorts of other reasons you can weigh more temporarily, such as hormones/menstruation, exercise, illness or injury. So if you see a spike in the scales, don't let it worry you.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Probably
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Absolutely, especially if your potassium intake happened to be lower than usual as well.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Sure, and sometimes you can retain without any immediately obvious cause. I have my "tight ring" or "up two pounds" days that I can't trace to anything specific.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Many things can make you retain water including but not limited to exess sodium, creatinine, heavy strength training, hormonal change, medications, renal function, dehydration etc etc

If you went up but say 2 kg in a day and heart or liver failure and/or swelling of extremities then see a doc.

Otherwise, daily fluctuations in weight are quite normal. For women, particularly around ovulation or menstruation which is basically 2 weeks of the month already.
  • dotwilldoit
    dotwilldoit Posts: 53 Member
    If I don't watch the Salt...weight goes up a little bit. Monday's are typically not the best day for me for that reason. Weekends can be a challenge. Part of life. FRidays, howwvere, have been my best days after 5 days of really watching the salt...
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,745 Member
    lizery wrote: »
    Many things can make you retain water including but not limited to exess sodium, creatinine, heavy strength training, hormonal change, medications, renal function, dehydration etc etc

If you went up but say 2 kg in a day and heart or liver failure and/or swelling of extremities then see a doc.

Otherwise, daily fluctuations in weight are quite normal. For women, particularly around ovulation or menstruation which is basically 2 weeks of the month already.

I've gone up as much as 6lb in one day due to exercise related water retention - that's 3kg. The exact size of fluctuations depends on the person.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    lizery wrote: »

I've gone up as much as 6lb in one day due to exercise related water retention - that's 3kg. The exact size of fluctuations depends on the person.

Sure, but do you also gave heart or liver failure or swollen feet? Cause that's what I wrote in regard to when you might want a medical opinion.

Also, you might have had a big poo on there too, so a one of sudden changed reading can be a bit misleading.

6lb = 2.7kg anyhow, but that's kinda irrelevant to my post.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    yep...