Weighing

Options
rjel78
rjel78 Posts: 102 Member
What kinda of foods do you use the food scale for?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    All solids should be weighed when you can.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    The calorie dense stuff like peanut butter, fruit, oatmeal and bread.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    When I first started out, I used it for anything that wasn't liquid. Now that I've been doing this for a few years, I only regularly use it for calorie dense foods that I eat often, or portioning out bulk cooking into single servings. Every once and awhile I'll use it for everything for a couple of weeks to keep my ability to determine a portion size sharp, like continuing education :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,934 Member
    Options
    Pretty much all of them.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    All solids
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    All solids and any semi-solids or liquids that specify grams in the nutritional info.

I'll also weigh some liquids or semi-liquids with the nutritional info in milliliters (such as salad dressing) for the sake of convenience but with the understanding that I'm getting a rough estimate since the only liquid that can be counted on to have 1 gram = 1 milliliter is water.
  • a_candler
    a_candler Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Everything! Weighing foods equals accountability
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    When I'm logging I find it easier to weigh than estimate so tend to weigh everything solid (putting things on the scale after chopping and before cooking is just a natural part of the cooking process for me, and though it makes no difference calorie-wise being able to put down 116 g broccoli vs. uh, about a cup is just less fuss and seems pleasantly exact). The exception is that I personally have never found it useful to weigh stuff like a single serving cup of yogurt or Kind bar or some such.

When I'm not logging I still sometimes use the scale so I can weigh out a serving of pasta or ice cream or something else high calorie where I have an amount in mind I want to eat and am suspicious of my ability to eyeball.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Pretty much everything here too.
  • indiacaitlin
    indiacaitlin Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Pretty much everything, I have wet and dry scales so use them for milk when I'm making breakfast/coffee etc as well.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Everything, except for fluids, I use measuring cups for those.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Mostly rice, oats, veggies, dried fruit, chips, cheese and meat.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,387 Member
    Options
    Anything solid, and any liquids for which I can find good data in grams. Weighing food is just so much quicker & easier than measuring, and darned near as easy as guessing (and way more accurate).
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    pretty much everything
  • stephmph16
    stephmph16 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I use my scale for everything. Zero it with a bowl/plate, put down the solids and weigh them, re-zero, then weigh the liquids/etc on top.