Exercising after ankle surgery/injury?

Options
Hi All, I am currently 5.5 months post op for a broken fibula. Am out of my boot, done physio and looking to pull off some of the weight I put on while recovering. Does anyone have any good ideas for workouts that are low impact for the ankle? I'm aware of the elliptical being low impact but looking for other ideas. I will also mention that I will be very diligent with my diet, as I may have to make up for the amount of exercise I can handle, at least to begin with!

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Swimming is low impact and has the potential to be quite intense, although clearly needs some technical competence to get the best from.
  • Jules_farmgirl
    Jules_farmgirl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Agree with swimming being a great option. Also biking! I have never had surgery like that, but have juvenile arthritis in my ankles and have sprained them so often I have my own crutches at home
  • Alisonswim46
    Alisonswim46 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'll be two years out from ORIF surgery in May. It's a long road! I was in PT for over a year as my goal was to get back into running. I started with aqua jogging and swimming, walking and riding my bike indoors on the trainer then very slowly progressed back to running. You can do it! Just take it slow,do your ROM exercises and keep seeing the PT if you can.

I'm now running! And running faster than I was before I got hurt! I guess it's because I have a bionic ankle now!

Good luck! Let me know if you have any questions.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Some form of yoga? I eventually took up DDP Yoga following my ankle surgery. It was virtually a life saver. I also agree that elipticals and biking are low impact (a little dull, but they work).
  • funkythreads2004
    funkythreads2004 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Aqua aerobics classes are brilliant. Very low impact as you are in water. Your body is supported. Great fun as well. You really feel you have worked out when you try to climb out off the pool after x
  • LBgetsfit
    LBgetsfit Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I fractured my tibia and had four other injuries to foot/ankle. I agree with swimming! Yoga is good too. And if you can get out for even shorter walks. I'm almost two years out and just now starting to do running. Good luck. It's hard work but you can get there if you stick at it!