whey protein

Options
Is the whey protein powder mix do you just mix it with water or milk? And what is the best brand to buy and I am also on a budget I am just asking because I want to start drinking protein shakes for breakfast as a replacement

Replies

• unit6676
    unit6676 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It says your choice either there water or milk. Pretty sure you can add to food too. I found Walmart to be the best price .
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    If I am replacing breakfast I use milk. It comes in between 300-350 calories and I feel more satisfied. I usually use Muscle Pharm Combat Casein rather than whey for a meal replacement. The body absorbs casein more slowly than whey so I don't need to eat again until lunch.
    Good luck!
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Milk tastes much better. Personally, I use cashew milk which is very low calorie. As for brands, just watch out for the ones with a bunch of added sugar. Also, as a meal replacement, I would consider muscle milk which has a lot of added nutrients.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    As a meal replacement I would suggest blending up your protein powder with extra ingredients - some fruit, maybe greens, maybe oats, and fat (nut butter or avo works well). You can add Yoghurt, use milk of any sort, or just water - what you add will depend on your calorie allowance.
  • jpvliet86
    jpvliet86 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I use it with water, but the taste is better with milk.
    I also use it in yoghurt, greek yoghurt, soft curd cheese and coffee
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    It depends on what your macronutrient and calorie goals are. Water is obviously the lower calorie option.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I ferment whole milk to make kefir, and I also ferment milk to make yogurt. I've mixed each of these with 50 g of chocolate flavored whey protein.
    The kefir-whey mixture, with 4 oz of kefir and also additional ice and water for texture, blends together into a very tasty shake which I have each workday morning. The yogurt-whey mixture is something I use on weekends.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I use water when supplementing. If I want more long term satiety I add fruits/veggies as well.

Also consider Casein instead of whey as stated above. Casein digests slowly and will (should) keep you full longer.

edit: Just as an aside - protein powder uses aren't restricted to just shakes. Quite a few folks here also bake/make desserts etc with it. Good stuff :)
  • sarajenivieve
    sarajenivieve Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    if your replacing a meal I'd recommend vegaone instead because it has all your nutrients not just protien i can handle it with just water but most people cant so i recommend using it with other things like smoothie.