Lost at the gym?

Options
Every time I go to the gym I stick to Cardio.. half of the reason for this is because I have no clue what I am doing when "trying" (if you can even call it that) to lift. I would love to lose weight and gain muscle. NO IDEA HOW TO. Would love some tips/ support group

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    There are several stickies about lifting for beginners. I'm on my phone or I would link.
  • indigouk
    indigouk Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It might be worthwhile seeing if your gym offers free fitness programmes. I know mine does and the instructors will tailor it to your ability and run through it with you to make sure you are understand and safely perform all the exercises.
  • lovexlexi
    lovexlexi Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    There are apps in the App Store that can help you show proper technique through pictures and videos. Try looking up the "Workout: Gym personal trainer & workout tracker" this app has helped me out a lot, as I am also a beginner.
  • joshnotsofit40
    joshnotsofit40 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Do you even lift?
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I felt this way too. A lot of folks on here are able to set up a program by following videos etc.

I got an online personal trainer to design a program for me because I'm 50 have a bad knee and I wanted to make sure I'm doing it right.
  • indiacaitlin
    indiacaitlin Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    It's a bit daunting when you want to start with weights, the bodybuilding.com app has some really good break downs of which machines/exercises work out which part of your body and it includes diagrams of how to do the lifts too :smile:

I think it also has some actual plans on there as well so you can basically choose a beginners plan, look over all the exercises and kind of get a feel/idea for how to do them before you actually go to the gym! A lot of the time the fear is that you'll do something wrong so prepping like that might help :smile:
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    I think www.bodybuilding.com might be a great place for you to check out
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i still feel really awkward lifting weights even though i've been doing it for a year - i think it just heightens my self-consciousness (i don't notice it on the cardio side of the house)...

i found doing some one videos (fitness blender is a favorite of mine) - helped me to figure out how different exercises fit together
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean - I asked at the gym about weights and they said to get used to the other equipment first. It's all too complicated and I forget which way to sit in the weight machines so look like a fool squinting at the instructions every time.
    Are there people working there? My gym is at the local leisure centre and the people working there will help but you have to build up the courage to ask. Which I hate. Makes me feel very stupid. And fat. But just tell yourself to buck up and do it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Get a trainer, even just for a couple of sessions. Videos and all can show you the exercises. PERFORMING them correctly is another thing.
    I see a lot of people trying to show friends they bring to the gym how to squat. Most of them don't even have the bar placed correctly on their upper backs. Then you hear "ow, that hurts my neck".
    Many trainers will give you a free intro session (I do all the time).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    The gym I go to offers 1hr free PT when you join. You might check to see if yours does.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    This is where I started: https://stronglifts.com/
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    This is where I started: https://stronglifts.com/

Yep, Me, too. Loved it!
  • Ben_there_done_that
    Ben_there_done_that Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Great idea using an app or getting some tutorial before attempting the weights. Mimicking what you see others doing at the gym is a recipe for disaster.
  • Flyeaglesfly8630
    Flyeaglesfly8630 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Check out YouTube and search buffdudes. They have videos for woman and men looking to build muscle. What I'm getting a at is the have videos on how to do workouts they show you proper form and such.
  • griffgirl
    griffgirl Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was going to second checking out bodybuilding.com, there are some great instructional videos & programs on there... but then I saw the two posts about stronglifts.com and thought I'd check it out. This site looks amazing! I've been absent from the gym for 3 months and came here seeking motivation. I think I've found it! I'm going to download the app now & check it out when I start my routine back up next week. (No, I don't work for stronglifts or anything like that... I just think it looks like a great site, and lacks all the "bro factor" that I find myself constantly dodging on bodybuilding.com). I felt bored/burnt out by the routines there too, so I'm excited to try out this 5x5 thing on the other site. Plus, it seems super cut & dry, which is exactly what I want.
  • DarrelBirkett
    DarrelBirkett Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    First, do it! Lifting weights has so many benefits. Also consider:

Nutrition for fat loss
    Cardio for cardiovascular system health
    Weights for body aesthetics

The other thing you might also know but worth repeating. Say you burn 200 cals on a bike. That's 200 done. But while you might burn 150 cals doing weights, you might go on to burn 100 more after as your body repairs the muscle.

To build muscle, you essentially over use it so it's damaged (not in a bad way). The body repairs and adds new fibres (why we need protein/amino acids) bringing growth. But this doesn't just strengthen the muscle but connective muscles and bone.

If you like reading I'd strongly (pun!) recommend the book "Thinner leaner stronger" by Mike Mathews (or guys reading "bigger leaner stronger". It's excellent starting material and reference.

If you are starting, there is an awful lot of learning to do but don't be put off by that, progress at the start is exciting and rewarding. Happy to help any questions you have and can't find answers to.

5x5 is a good system. The two important things with it are I) use compound exercises (ones that mechanically use a number of muscle groups per lift) and Ii) lift heavy!

You start light while working on form but want to progress up as you gain confidence and add weight to the bar. It's important to get form right though. Lots of videos available about form. Also notice reps are done slowly. There's no benefit in blasting 5 reps etc but each one is controlled, prepared and executed. Sorry, going on too long