Odd question

So I'm having a grilled chicken breast for lunch and I'm not exactly sure how many ounces it is. I don't have a good scale yet and I don't wanna log it wrong

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Google "serving size" and then look at the image results. You will get a lot of visual guides to help you estimate.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    you're never going to be 100% accurate, even WITH a scale. you may have to get used to guesstimating depending on the size.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Isn't the rule of thumb that 4oz is the size of a deck of cards?
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Isn't the rule of thumb that 4oz is the size of a deck of cards?

Or the size of your palm?
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,129 Member
    Don't worry about it it's a chicken breast it will be between the 4 and 5 oz as a whole.
  • Its_Haleeyy
    Its_Haleeyy Posts: 53 Member
    Some of the entries on here are saying a grilled chicken breast is 150-200 calories and others are saying closer to 300
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Most of the entries are bad.

If you had a package and it estimated a size use that for this time.

If not, use the USDA entry: https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/1202?manu=&fgcd=&ds=

(You can find it using the same words: Chicken, broiler or fryers, breast, skinless, boneless, meat only, cooked, grilled. and can recognize it since it will have lots of serving size options, including 100 g.)

Estimate the size as people mentioned. 4-5 oz cooked is probably safe (that makes it around 200 calories). Sometimes the way they are sold a whole chicken breast is crazy large, but sometimes not, and if it's skinless chicken breast it's not so many calories that it will make a big difference this one time.

Some of the entries are homemade ones including whatever marinade people used. Obviously if you added stuff like oil when cooking you'd add that separately.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    If it was a single you would know what it weighed before cooking, but sorry I don't know how much it looses in the process. Many meats are weighed raw, I think. You could take the packet size and divide the total by the portions. Hope this helps.