I need new supersets

Hi

I had a trainer a while ago and successfully lost weight using weight training supersets. I currently do one gym session a week upper body, one lower body and abs and one cardio. I like this as it's simple but I need to take my routines up a notch and switch them about to boost weight loss now.

Are there some good websites I can get a load of supersets off of? I don't know which go well together other than the ones I currently do.

I like using the gym machines, barbells and dumbells.

Thanks

Replies

• not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Focus on calorie deficit for weight loss, workouts will be secondary to this.
    Are you doing a circuit training style of workouts, more cardio focused?
    I "super set" when I'm training 2 or more muscle groups. Like a dumb bell row and dumb bell curl. Or leg extension and weighted cable crunch. When I want to up the intensity I add more weight or a few more reps. If I want to "boost weight loss" I buckle down on my eating and logging.
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    edited January 2017
    I agree supersets won't help you lose weight. They will add a cardio component to your strength training, which is always good, but it shouldn't be your main focus if your goal is to achieve weight loss.

That said, supersets are typically used for muscle groups that oppose each other. (Such as chest/back, biceps/triceps, quads/hamstrings and glutes).

Not knowing what you've already done, examples for me would be:

Squats/deads.
    Curls/cable pushdowns or skullcrushers.
    Bench/Row.

I'm not crazy about the example above using a row and curls as you will torch your biceps long before your back even gets any work.

Sorry I'm not answering your actual question but I'm sure someone will be along!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    I agree with what other said- a calorie deficite is what makes you lose weight.

but the best supersets are the simple ones: push ups, pull ups, lunges, body weight squats.
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    All my workouts consist of supersets. Mondays are back & chest, Wednesdays are arms & Fridays are legs & shoulders. Just pick two exercises you like to do & pair them up. One brutal one I do is DB incline fly, then immediately into DB incline press & then pull ups. Not a traditional superset, but it does a number on the upper chest.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I superset some secondary and accessory upper body lifts.

Example:
    • Chest supported row (done on its own)
    • Overhead press (done on its own)
    • Bench press and underhand pulldown superset
    • Skullcrusher and hammer curl superset

I don't tend to use supersets as much with lower body. The one lower body superset that I love are barbell hack squats and heavy lying leg curls. Other than that, I stick to lightweight or band or bodyweight movements for lower body supersets. Examples: leg extension/x-band walks, banded hip thrusts/dumbbell split squats, calf raises/band abduction exercises.
  • Bisherbasher
    Bisherbasher Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks for all comments

I am calorie counting and creating a deficit using MFP as well but just wanted to shake up my gym work so it's still effective. I do increase the weight whenever it gets easy or increase the reps but just wanting some new exercises so I don't get bored and work slightly different muscle groups.

I'm still relatively new to weight training so if there's any blogs or websites that could give me an idea of weight routines or supersets that's what I ideally want.

I currently do exercises like
    Deadlift
    Squat with barbell
    Lat pull down
    Lateral and front raise
    Bridge raise
    Sumo squats with weight
    Few body weight exercises
    Bench press
    Overhead press DB
    Woodchop
    Tricep dip
    Underarm row
    Abs - Russian twists/reverse crunch/cycle sit ups/ side plank

Probably have got a lot of terms wrong there. Thanks in advance
  • Bisherbasher
    Bisherbasher Posts: 3 Member
    I also do cardio once a week as mentioned and a small bit of HIIT after my weight routines