When do you work out? (Best Time)

Options
I'm kind of at this plateau where I can't seem to budge below 130 lbs. It might just be me because I'm constantly weighing myself, but I think it might have to do with a plateau. I tried upping my calories this week because I've had problems eating too low and getting inadequate nutrition - and nothing happened. If anything, my weight might increase, which I do not want. Now I'm eating a little higher, getting twice the amount of nutrition. I'm starting to think it might be my exercise routine. I'll eat, wait about an hour, and then work out, usually 30 minutes on the treadmill. Then, I'll eat lunch, and then swim for 35 minutes straight. I'll eat dinner, and then finish the day off with an 8 minute ab workout. I'm trying to implement one last snack in too.

Maybe the treadmill after dinner would be the best because it burns the most calories?

When do you work out or what seems to work the best for you?

Replies

• bschutt
    bschutt Posts: 8
    Options
    What exactly are you doing on the treadmill? Have you tried changing up your workout routine at all, like by doing interval training? It sounds like everyday you're doing the same thing. What about weight training? Lifting weights is the best thing you can do for your metabolism- lean muscle burns more fat :)
  • Terryoke
    Terryoke Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? 130 lbs seems fine unless you're less than 5'2". The best time to workout for me is before I shower when I'm getting ready. I work it into my "get ready" routine for the day. You can get through a plateau by dropping all carbs (bread, pasta, etc.) and eating only meat, fish, eggs, cruciferous vegetables, leafy vegetables, (no beans or tubers), and drinking at least eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day. Try lifting weights if you can instead of doing aerobics too, and don't eat before you work out. You burn more fat if you workout on an empty stomach.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I workout in the morning.
  • crystalmichelle82
    Options
    What exactly are you doing on the treadmill? Have you tried changing up your workout routine at all, like by doing interval training? It sounds like everyday you're doing the same thing. What about weight training? Lifting weights is the best thing you can do for your metabolism- lean muscle burns more fat :)

i agree you need more weight training, muscle burns fat... the cardio only burns calories while you are doing it. Drink tons of water b/c when you start to feel thirsty you are actually already dehydrated. you need to drink tons to keep your metabolism up.

I workout at 5am- ChaLean Extreme. Heavy weights, fewer reps. Its freaking awesome. I do ab workout before i go to bed too.
  • CatharinaC
    CatharinaC Posts: 32
    Options
    I read somewhere that 1st thing in the morning was the best time for a person to exercise, I'll be honest I am no expert.. lol My lifestyle has me dividing my exercises between lunch and evening .. I look forward to seeing what everyone thinks...

Muscle weight more than fat ... my baby-steps and you all are an inspiration
  • KayaSamantha
    KayaSamantha Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Strength training is a great way to bust through a plateau! I love to get my cardio over in the morning before work and then do weights before dinner. Good Luck!
  • mprando
    mprando Posts: 1
    Options
    I would try working out first thing in the morning gets metabolism going. Try eating 6 times a day keeping up calories just less fat intake.Body might burn fat better.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Timing doesn't matter as far as calorie burns go... it varies from person-to-person. I tend to do my best when I workout in the mornings, since later in the day I don't have to eat to 'fuel' myself (and therefore I eat less).
    Looks like you do plenty of cardio. Where's the strength training? If you really want an effective calorie burn, build that strength. At my skinniest, I only did bodyweight workouts (pushups, situps, burpees, jump-lunges/squats) and weight lifting workouts... so I don't want to even hear the cliche'd 'but it makes you bulky...' excuse.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    I just looked at your food diary and you are still eating way too little food, and there is no way you are getting the nutrition you need - you say you've increased it, but looking at this past week there were several days where it is was in the 7-800 calorie total (not net) range, which is serious undernourishment territory - the only people who should be eating this little are extremely obese people under a doctor's care. You are seriously messing up your metabolism, and changing around the time of day you work out isn't going to help - it honestly doesn't make that big of a difference. You need to start eating a healthy, balanced diet, and let your body adjust to that, and once it does, it will start to function normally and you'll be able to lose weight if you are actually overweight.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    there really is no time of the day that burns more or less calories. and dont listen to this uneducated dribble about starvation mode.

its simple..our bodies adapt and they adapt fast. they like to be in a state of homeostasis. so it constantly works towards that. if you are at a stall it could be many reasons.

remember the smaller you get, the less you weigh the harder you have to work at losing weight. when i was around 125 lbs I wasnt losing very fast. i had to up my exercise, and take a fat burner. I also did all those little metabo boost tricks..like green tea etc. i finally started to move and got down to 118 or so. and remember too..doing the same thing everyday makes you stall too. you have to change things up. like the above poster said, try lifting some weights..but you wont build muscle because to build muscle you need to eat to build and lift heavy. its takes a LOT of conscious effort to build muscle and time..years.

but lifting is a different type of workout that could help break that stall..you'll just have to wait longer to see results..the smaller you are thats what happens. also you could try taking a break, eat at maintance, do very little exercise or none for a few weeks and then get back into it..it should shock your body back into weight loss.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I second the weight lifting suggestions. You could also incorporate other cross-training, like lunges, squats, etc., because those will work different muscles, and help you build your metabolism. I do not do the same thing every day. I run every other day, and do my resistance bands or plyometrics on my off-days. It helps keep my muscles fresh, because they can't adapt to doing the same thing over and over.
  • colbiegirl
    colbiegirl Posts: 138
    Options
    there really is no time of the day that burns more or less calories. and dont listen to this uneducated dribble about starvation mode.

its simple..our bodies adapt and they adapt fast. they like to be in a state of homeostasis. so it constantly works towards that. if you are at a stall it could be many reasons.

remember the smaller you get, the less you weigh the harder you have to work at losing weight. when i was around 125 lbs I wasnt losing very fast. i had to up my exercise, and take a fat burner. I also did all those little metabo boost tricks..like green tea etc. i finally started to move and got down to 118 or so. and remember too..doing the same thing everyday makes you stall too. you have to change things up. like the above poster said, try lifting some weights..but you wont build muscle because to build muscle you need to eat to build and lift heavy. its takes a LOT of conscious effort to build muscle and time..years.

but lifting is a different type of workout that could help break that stall..you'll just have to wait longer to see results..the smaller you are thats what happens. also you could try taking a break, eat at maintance, do very little exercise or none for a few weeks and then get back into it..it should shock your body back into weight loss.

Thanks. This really clears things up. I think the green tea might actually work. I used to drink a lot of green tea, usually a cup at breakfast and 2 or 3 around dinner, and that's when my weight seemed to be going down.
  • colbiegirl
    Options
    I just looked at your food diary and you are still eating way too little food, and there is no way you are getting the nutrition you need - you say you've increased it, but looking at this past week there were several days where it is was in the 7-800 calorie total (not net) range, which is serious undernourishment territory - the only people who should be eating this little are extremely obese people under a doctor's care. You are seriously messing up your metabolism, and changing around the time of day you work out isn't going to help - it honestly doesn't make that big of a difference. You need to start eating a healthy, balanced diet, and let your body adjust to that, and once it does, it will start to function normally and you'll be able to lose weight if you are actually overweight.

I understand this too, and thank you for taking the time to look at my diary. When you're trying to transition from eating so little to getting back into a healthier mode, it really isn't easy. Your body adapts to eating the lower calorie things and feels sick when eating the higher ones or more of the lower calorie. And about actually being overweight, yes, I was. I'm only 5'4 and started dieting at 180 lbs. My highest was 198 lbs. I think I need to relax a little now that I'm where I should be, but I wouldn't mind a few more pounds, then to tone up and gain a few back from muscle.
  • lmaharj
    lmaharj Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Change your workout. Interval training works great. Also things like push ups and sit ups work well, too. Free weights are pretty awesome
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options

I understand this too, and thank you for taking the time to look at my diary. When you're trying to transition from eating so little to getting back into a healthier mode, it really isn't easy. Your body adapts to eating the lower calorie things and feels sick when eating the higher ones or more of the lower calorie. And about actually being overweight, yes, I was. I'm only 5'4 and started dieting at 180 lbs. My highest was 198 lbs. I think I need to relax a little now that I'm where I should be, but I wouldn't mind a few more pounds, then to tone up and gain a few back from muscle.

Maybe try doing the reverse - as you gradually try to increase your calories to a healthier level, focus on that, don't worry about losing, and try experimenting with weights or different forms of exercise to change things up - focus on maintaining what you've already lost, toning and building muscle, and then once your body has adjusted to an increased calorie level and gotten back where it should be metabolism-wise, then work on losing that last 10 lbs.
  • Terryoke
    Terryoke Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Congratulations on your weight loss! That is an awesome accomplishment - one which you should be very proud of as long as you are healthy and feel good. Way to go, Girl!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Keep adding the calories. A week isn't enough time to see any difference. If you think you are about where you want to be with weight change your MFP goal to maintenance, and gradually work to get up to that number. You might gain a few pounds doing so but once your body gets used to the correct amount of food, and you increase your strength training, I bet those pounds will come back off again.
  • colbiegirl
    Options

Maybe try doing the reverse - as you gradually try to increase your calories to a healthier level, focus on that, don't worry about losing, and try experimenting with weights or different forms of exercise to change things up - focus on maintaining what you've already lost, toning and building muscle, and then once your body has adjusted to an increased calorie level and gotten back where it should be metabolism-wise, then work on losing that last 10 lbs.

Alright. I'll try it. I'm not too sure what to do for strength training because I don't go to a gym, but I do attend weight training for field hockey mostly twice a week where there's equipment. I'm sure there are some good videos online that I can use with my hand weighs to build muscle. Also, my ab video might help.