Has anyone avoided getting access skin when losing 50-75 pounds?

Options

Replies

• MalkinMagic71
    MalkinMagic71 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I went from 388 to 185 in a little over a year. I have minimal loose skin. I'm 33, about 6ft tall. I have some around my stomach, but I think incorporating resistance training along the way helped alot.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I envy those who have no loose skin! I have lost 71 pounds and have lots of excess skin. Having said that I am still way happier. It took me a year to lose that much. Note however that I have been fat my whole life and I am 60. I also had two 9 plus pound babies which didn't help alot. I am hoping that the next year or two will see things firm up a bit.
  • newgirl57
    newgirl57 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I feel so much better about this now. I have also noticed that I go for a long time with virtually no change on the scale, then one morning I get on the scale and surprise. I have to do it again just so I can see that new number again.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I've lost 70 pounds (220 to 150) while getting plenty of cardio and heavy lifting. I would say that what I have is more flab than skin. My arms look pretty good, still some droop in the belly, but my legs from my butt to my knees are "saggy". I'm going to drop to 135 and ramp up my lifting to see what happens. Whether it stays or goes remains to be seen, but either way--I look and feel tons better.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Age is not always a factor. Youtuber ObeseToBeast lost 100+ lbs and has lots of loose skin even though he was in his early 20s and did lots of weight lifting.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    Age is not always a factor. Youtuber ObeseToBeast lost 100+ lbs and has lots of loose skin even though he was in his early 20s and did lots of weight lifting.

Just because it didnt favor him doesnt mean age didnt play a factor :P Age 100% is a huge factor in skins elasticity
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Arizona_C wrote: »
    Hi, I'm not sure which factors are to take into account for excess skin.

I'm 44 years old, have had three children, reaching 189 lbs with my last pregnancy in 2013.

This is now, at 123 lbs; skin less tight but just a little

vxdb3t2h7475.jpg

3 kids....44...? Jesus rock that flat tummy, Its tighter than mine will likely ever be LOL great job
  • jordyngiulio
    jordyngiulio Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 70 pounds at this point (240 to 170) and I do have some loose skin, specifically on my upper arms and stomach. None of it is really too bad; my belly button is the worst of it and it just kind of looks like it's "frowning" (turned down at the outer corners). The looseness of the upper arm skin is probably only noticeable to me. For reference I am 5'8" and 26 years old. I was either overweight or obese for over a decade, so I do feel that the long period I spent heavier contributed so some of the skin issues. I still have about 15 pounds to lose and I am hopeful that the skin situation won't be too horrible.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I'm 50f down 40 lbs so far (75 to go) and I'm seeing the "chicken wings" or whatever they are called under my arms.

Honestly if I have to wear sleeves to cover I'm cool with that. It the price to pay yeah?
  • ohthesorrow
    ohthesorrow Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I lost about 80 pounds (220-140) in about 8 months the first time I dropped weight. I never had any loose skin but that could be due to genetics and history. I've always been about 180-190 in high school and gained the last bit within a year or so, so I wasn't at my heaviest for long.
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I went from 182 to 115 pounds and I don't have any loose skin. I do have a stomach pouch that annoys me because I work so hard with fitness and nutrition that I wish I didn't have it. I am hard on myself, but I know it's not awful. I don't have loose skin anywhere else. I wasn't overweight the majority of my life. I gained a lot over a 2 year period. It came off pretty quickly when I got serious about losing it. I also focused on getting lean and tightening up, not just dropping weight. Overall, I don't have any excess fat but I do have an annoying poochy stomach left.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    garber6th wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    One will never know till they do it. Genetics and age play an important part and losing too fast MAY not let the skin retract back as quickly as the weight loss. You'll just have to do it to find out.
    The reality is is if you do get loose skin, you have a couple of choices: accept it or get surgery to remove it.

Pretty much all of this. Everyone is different. I went from 386 to 180. I do cardio, strength, and yoga. I look great with clothes on, but clothes off - I look like I am melting. That said, I didn't lose weight for vanity, and my good health and the fact that I feel amazing definitely outweighs the loose skin, no pun intended. Maybe some day I will have skin surgery, I am still undecided, but I would much rather have excess skin than a whole bunch of excess weight that is bad for my health.

ETA - I am 53 years old and I was overweight most of my life. Things are not likely to bounce back on their own in my case.

Congratulations to you! I do not know what loose skin is. I am sure I have some but I don't know what it is. Maybe I am in denial.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    I went from 388 to 185 in a little over a year. I have minimal loose skin. I'm 33, about 6ft tall. I have some around my stomach, but I think incorporating resistance training along the way helped a lot.

Wow, 200 pounds, quite an achievement!

For those of you with minimal loose skin:

A. What was your exercise program when you lost weight?
    1. Cardio
    2. Strength training
    3. Both

B. While you were heavy, were you active or sedentary?
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I went from 388 to 185 in a little over a year. I have minimal loose skin. I'm 33, about 6ft tall. I have some around my stomach, but I think incorporating resistance training along the way helped a lot.

Wow, 200 pounds, quite an achievement!

For those of you with minimal loose skin:

A. What was your exercise program when you lost weight?
    1. Cardio
    2. Strength training
    3. Both

B. While you were heavy, were you active or sedentary?

I incorporated resistance/strength training into my routine as well and still have loose skin, so like others have said, it's basically a crap shoot.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,869 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    newgirl57 wrote: »
    Wait, wait, wait....I've always known about the baggy skin thing because I watched The Biggest Loser, but the marshmallow phase? Machka9 - tell me about the marshmallow phase?

The marshmallow phase took me by surprise.

I was busy losing weight and then all of a sudden everything kind of sagged and seemed to get really mushy ... like loose dough, if you've ever made pizza dough from scratch and it's just a bit too watery.

It looked and felt so bad, I actually debated about putting the weight back on again.

And no, it wasn't accompanied by a "whoosh" ... I've never experienced a "whoosh" in my weight loss. Mine has always been as steady and consistent as can be.

I stayed all dough-y/marshmallow-y for several months, and all the while, I kept losing weight. But I did feel some disappointment at the way I looked and felt.

And then one day, that mushiness seemed to go away, and I was left with loose skin ... bat wings!! Plus wrinkles around my abdomen, upper thighs, and butt. I started weight lifting, but knew that it would just take patience. About a year later, the loose skin is much better.

Maybe I should add that I was 48 when I lost all that weight. From what I understand if you lose the weight when you're younger, it is easier to avoid loose skin. But on the other hand, I was only overweight for just a few years, and from what I understand, if you haven't been overweight for very long, it is easier to avoid loose skin.
  • afort001
    afort001 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have lost 50 pounds in 5 months, I don't have any loose skin. Maybe because I didn't lose it too fast? I'm not sure. I think genetics plays a role toooz6qn4xzt07m.jpeg
  • btodd304
    btodd304 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Went from 300.2 to 240.2 so down 60lbs in 8months and so far no loose skin. I do a mix of cardio and weights in hopes to tighten as I go and has worked thus far. I think it depends on your genetics too. Some people's skin just doesn't bounce back and can just depend on how long it was stretched out I imagine. Best of luck.