Body Aches....

Options
slieber
slieber Posts: 765 Member
I know, I know.... I do a lot of exercise. I dance 22+ hours (ballet) a week right now and I'm, well, a somewhat overweight middle-aged female probably entering menopause.

So, I can't sleep often due to my body just aching and aching. I mean down the legs, the ankles, toe spasms (yes, I do pointe work), hips. My back seems fine and my shoulders really only hurt when I do weights (which is now, of course). I have, somehow, acquired "tennis elbow" which is not going away.

I take a load of supplements all designed to deal with things like this, plus doctor-recommended doses of naproxin.

I know about cinnamon and ginger for inflammation and do put it in the coffee. I drink loads of water.

Anyone know of any other possible ways/supplements I can use to treat this without asking the doctor for anything stronger? I do NOT like taking the few medications I'm now on and don't want to increase that if at all possible.

Thanks for any input.

Replies

• fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I've heard that Red Onion's are good for muscle tissue regeneration.

Another recommendation from athletes are cold or ice baths after intense workouts.

Obviously make sure you stretch both before and after the exercise.

Hope it helps and good luck.
  • slieber
    Options
    I hadn't thought of cold baths. I've been doing a hot shower and/or jacuzzi. I'll try that and see what happens.
  • bschutt
    bschutt Posts: 8
    Options
    I'm a big fan of the chiropractor :) Whenever anything feels off, I go in for an adjustment. When I started seeing him, I think the worst pain I was having was in my hips and knees, and he got it all straightened out.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    have you tried asking your doc about fibromyalgia? you probably have some sort of inflammatory disorder. get checked..there is blood work that can check this.

it could also be neurological..lyrica is a medication to help with nerve pain.
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I use homeopathic anti-inflammatories (primarily for IT Band Syndrome):

Traumeel - for ongoing maintenance, post-hard workouts.

Myo-Med - for more acute pain (this also has some pain relief in addition to anti-inflammartory).

Best of luck.
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Tumeric is also a great anti-inflammatory. It's used mostly as a color to make things more yellow-- like "Mexican" rice-- but is generally flavorless. It's easy to add to anything savory that you don't mind being yellow, and some things (like tomato sauce, soups, etc.) won't really be altered in terms of color or flavor because of it.

I hope this helps; good luck!
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Do you use compression stockings?
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar situation, have found that glucosimine (sp?) supplement is good for joint health, but wonder if it's more psychological than physical. I'm pretty apprehensive about taking any meds, but there were some supplments mentioned on Dr Oz's show that I may look into.

I firmly believe that balanced, clean eating can go further to helping your health and attitude than any supplement.
  • christyjoyjr
    Options
    I'm a big fan of the chiropractor :) Whenever anything feels off, I go in for an adjustment. When I started seeing him, I think the worst pain I was having was in my hips and knees, and he got it all straightened out.

I agree. I've been dealing with a slow healing knee injury for the last year and a half. None of my doctors helped me as much as my chiropractor. I actually have a couple of pain free days a week now.
  • slieber
    Options
    I use homeopathic anti-inflammatories (primarily for IT Band Syndrome):

Traumeel - for ongoing maintenance, post-hard workouts.

Myo-Med - for more acute pain (this also has some pain relief in addition to anti-inflammartory).

Best of luck.

I use Traumeel, as well. I hadn't heard of Myo-Med. I'll check that out at my local natural food store.

I rubbed down with Vicks Vaporub last night and managed to sleep this time. I'm still sore, though. I have 2.5 hours of class this morning.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I know, I know.... I do a lot of exercise. I dance 22+ hours (ballet) a week right now and I'm, well, a somewhat overweight middle-aged female probably entering menopause.

So, I can't sleep often due to my body just aching and aching. I mean down the legs, the ankles, toe spasms (yes, I do pointe work), hips. My back seems fine and my shoulders really only hurt when I do weights (which is now, of course). I have, somehow, acquired "tennis elbow" which is not going away.

I take a load of supplements all designed to deal with things like this, plus doctor-recommended doses of naproxin.

I know about cinnamon and ginger for inflammation and do put it in the coffee. I drink loads of water.

Anyone know of any other possible ways/supplements I can use to treat this without asking the doctor for anything stronger? I do NOT like taking the few medications I'm now on and don't want to increase that if at all possible.

Thanks for any input.

If you are not a professional dancer, then wouldn't the most logical solution be to not dance for 22 hours per week? This sounds like classic overtraining. So don't overtrain!
  • slieber
    Options
    I also generally get massages and use the chiropractor, though I haven't done that this time around, as yet. It's only since stepping up the exercise and classes. I keep hoping my body will get used to it, but I wonder if that's possible at my age.

I'm noting the turmeric. I hadn't known about that. I use joint supplements already. It's all over, not just in the joints or just in the legs. In addition to the Vicks rub, I put on one of my foot/leg braces to keep one foot from moving. I wonder if that made a difference as well (it's for plantar fasciitis although I don't use it for that, since I don't have plantar issues).

Please keep the ideas coming. I'm going to check out that Myo-Med.... thanks!