mint water

Options
I've discovered the only thing that makes water at all appealing to me - mint! The problem is that I can't get it. I've used all my neighbor's mint, who had a lot growing since she is a botanist. If something is green and alive and grows, I will find a way to kill it, so me gardening for myself is out. I've resorted to putting in the tiniest amount of peppermint schnapps (3-4 drops) in one glass of water. That's less than like 1/16th of a teaspoon, right? Still I know there has to be a better way to get mint water than schnapps. Does anyone have any suggestions? And buying bottled water is a no go. I know there is bottled mint water.

Replies

• Lily0013
    Lily0013 Posts: 28
    Options
    I buy fresh mint at the grocery store in the produce section. Hope that helps.
  • Katlyn665
    Katlyn665 Posts: 1
    Options
    They sell mint extract (liquid) at the grocery store near the vanilla extract. You could also use creme de menthe liquor. At my local organic co-op, they sell mint leaves in small bags, but they are very expensive.
  • ting001
    ting001 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Target and most of the other grocery chains sell mint with the fresh herbs. If you mix it with cucumber, lemon and ginger it makes sassy water (google the recipe) which is delicious and a diuretic.:drinker:
  • inkedlala
    inkedlala Posts: 20
    Options
    Try mint extract.
    It'll be a buck or two for a bottle, it'll be in the baking section.
    You'll probably only need a drop because the flavor is strong so it should last you a while
  • GregBaker87
    Options
    I know some stores sell Mint Extract. My Wal-Mart sells it in the Baking Goods section. Near the Orange, Cherry, and Vanilla Extract. One drop should do the trick.
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Never mind. Didn't see your post at first about not wanting bottled water.
  • FL_Nettie
    FL_Nettie Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I never thought of mint to flavor water. I'm going to have to give it a shot. Like others said, you can buy mint extract at the grocery store in the baking section where the vanilla extract is. I use it at Christmas to make mint cupcakes. You don't need a lot to get the mint flavor.
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Mint is my absolute favorite and I have tried everything to get it. I've done the mint extract before. The problem is it has an oily film on top of the water. The best I've found it MyWater flavoring. It doesn't have artificial flavoring. One bottle makes on average 20 liters of water and the package comes with 3 bottles. That's 60 liters for $10. Love it.

http://www.amazon.com/Sodastream-MyWater-Flavor-Essence-3-Pack/dp/B00404HDC0/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1310872572&sr=8-5
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Mint grows literally like a weed. It's taking over my whole back yard!

Good thing I like mojitos. :drinker:
  • sue26
    sue26 Posts: 412
    Options
    I got a big bag of dried mint leaves from my local health food store. I use it to put in fruit cous cous and its delicioous :smile:
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Mint is virtually impossible to kill if you plant it outside. Or, as mentioned, buy it.