LIQUID DIET????

Options
I hear some people talking about them and i want to know your opinion... good or bad?? why? would you ever do it? do u think its healthy? i havent done any research on them but i know someone that lost some weight when forced to go on one.

Replies

• shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I suppose my thought is that after you go back to solids, you would likely gain the weight back. "Quick fix" type diets rarely work long term. I mean they may get you to your goal, but won't likely get you through the long haul.
  • quitmakingexcuses
    quitmakingexcuses Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    There is no point in doing a 'diet' if you're trying to lose weight for the long run (and keep it off), because once you starting eating real foods again you're more than likely going to gain most of it back. This diet in particular won't really give you the proper nutrition that you need. Personally, I don't really see the point in doing it.
  • Pink_turnip
    Pink_turnip Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    if it's something your doctor recommends, yes. If it's something you decide to do on your own, I would say no.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I've considered it for the sake of re-training my stomach, which has been stretched with large meals as of late, to feel fuller on less food.
    It seems to me to be more for the purposes of cleansing and challenging oneself mentally than for prolonged weight loss... the prolonged part would come from that accomplished feeling of having been on a liquid diet and lived, making all other 'scant' meals seem sublime.

You would also want a strong support system, because it would require a complete alteration of eating habits--WAY out of your comfort zone. It's harder to do if roommates/family/friends don't support you during the transition.

These are just thoughts and ponderings that I've had, of course.
  • keiwilson
    keiwilson Posts: 4
    Options
    Dont do it girl...ive personally tried it and ur body feels like its starving and in a sence it is starving for nutrition. You can lose quite a few lbs on a liquid diet but as soon as you add solid food back into ur diet you end up gaining it all back like super fast. Its just not worth it
  • iguanaliz
    iguanaliz Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    You do lose weight very fast, but they are drastic and it's very difficult to stay on them. Plus, and I speak from experience, if you don't "wean" yourself back onto solid foods and relearn how to eat, you do gain everything back so fast it'll make your head spin. I won't say outright that they are bad, because they did help me lose enough weight fast to bring my blood pressure down until it could be controlled medically. But they definitely aren't a long term answer for anyone who has more than 20 or more pounds to lose. YMMV.
  • camille97
    camille97 Posts: 91
    Options
    Watch the documentary "Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead"
    I think a liquid diet is wonderful for detoxing your body, losing water weight, and getting healthier.
    Talk to a physician first.
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    A liquid diet will sustain life, and a medically supervised one may have it's place, but I see it as a last resort.
  • FL_Nettie
    FL_Nettie Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I did a liquid cleanse diet for one weekend after the holidays to try and flush out all the junk I ate. It was VERY difficult for me even though it was only 3 days. If you're considering do a longer term liquid diet, I highly suggest talking to a doctor or dietician first. You need to make sure it's healthy and your body will be getting the nutrition it needs. However, it doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I agree with Shydaisi in that once you start eating solid food again, you'll probably gain weight back quickly (and probably more than you lost).
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    I know someone who was on a crash liquid diet who passed out at the wheel of her car and nearly killed herself and her daughter. They absolutely are not healthy, and should not be undertaken unless under a doctor's care (and quite frankly the doctors who put people on these are often shysters looking to make money - unless it is an extreme situation where the person really has to get started losing weight very quickly for health reasons, and has a plan for real food in place once some critical percentage is lost). In addition, they do not teach you how to change your lifestyle and eating habits, so people on liquid diets go right back to eating the way they used to and - SHOCK- gain the weight right back... and then throw in the towel because diets don't work and it's just downright impossible for them to be thin because they're unlucky and the universe is conspiring against them.
  • sheffiej34
    sheffiej34 Posts: 91
    Options
    I cannot answer fully for or against the liquid diet. I was plateaued for 3 weeks and then I started Herbalife. I drink a shake in the am and one for lunch or dinner and eat healthy for the third meal. The first thing that amazed me is how full I feel after drinking one of them. I am a huge breakfast fan. I need to eat. The shake is a meal replacement plus extra protein. I am full and satisfied for several hours. A complete shock to me. Also, for the first time in my life I am ingesting my daily allowance of iron.

It's a little pricey so I'm not sure I'll stick to it, but it compliments my work schedule well. I have also lost 5 pounds since starting it. I am receiving adequate nutrition, I am full and not snacking at work, helps me to eat healthy with my work hours, and I am losing weight. However, I am eating. It is not a FULL liquid diet.

Only time will tell.
  • HopefulLeigh
    HopefulLeigh Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    It isn't healthy, safe or fun. It isn't good for long term weight loss. Generally it is only recommended by doctors when you are about to have surgery, have had surgery or just had extensive oral treatments - usually oral surgery. There's a good chance of you becoming malnourished during the period of liquid dieting, which is why you lose weight. It's nothing but a yo-yo and in the end you'll have gained the weight back, if not more, and have nothing to show for your suffering.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Ummm... No.
  • camille97
    camille97 Posts: 91
    Options
    Wow there are a lot of negative comments here, I don't think people have actually done research on liquid diets.
    A liquid cleanse in which you replace meals with juices packed with natural veggies and fruits is very healthy and will effectively clear your system of all the crap. A liquid diet in which you just only drink liquid is frankly a little dumb. It depends what you are asking about.
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Remember what happened to Oprah? She lost a red wagon full of weight (it was not just fat she lost) and then blew up bigger than ever. Don't do it.

There are no short cuts. You need to put the time and effort in and persevere.

Don't lose weight in a manner that is drastically different than what you need to do to maintain it the rest of your life.
  • HopefulLeigh
    HopefulLeigh Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Wow there are a lot of negative comments here, I don't think people have actually done research on liquid diets.
    A liquid cleanse in which you replace meals with juices packed with natural veggies and fruits is very healthy and will effectively clear your system of all the crap. A liquid diet in which you just only drink liquid is frankly a little dumb. It depends what you are asking about.

Actually, I have done my research. There is no evidence that "liquid cleanses" work to detox your system and with most liquid diets only giving the dieter 400 to 800 calories each day, they are incredibly unhealthy. They can cause loss of lean body mass due to a lack of sufficient amounts of protein and constipation due to a lack of sufficient amounts of fiber. Add in the potential for hair loss, dizziness, lack of energy, gallstones and damage to your heart due to lack of essential nutrients and you've got yourself a diet that is unhealthy and unsafe.
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options

We were asked for our opinions, We are not researchers or medical experts.

A short-term cleanse is different than a liquid diet. I don't think OP meant a cleanse.

If folks just want people to agree with them, then they shouldn't post and ask for opinions. People do what they want to do regardless... there's always a way to justify what you are determined to do.
  • elmobabie84
    elmobabie84 Posts: 112
    Options
    lol i never said i was going to do it... but someone i know was considering doing it and now i think i can talk her out of it. i earn my weight loss the hard way! :wink: