Confusing weight gain

Options
Hello

So this past weekend, i went out with friends. I made sure to accurately put in everything that I had eaten this weekend. I even added in a some serious cushion calories for the two items I wasn't sure about their exact calorie count. So I ended up eating about 400 calories below maintenance for me.

I know I didn't get enough water for my weight but I still ended each day with at least 8 cups of water.

Except I got on the scale Monday morning and it said that I was 3 pounds heavier than I was on friday. Which is mind boggling because there was absolutely no way with how meticulous I was this weekend to have gained 3 pounds.

So I am at a loss. Any ideas?

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Time of the month, salty food, lack of sleep. All manner of things, wait a few days and it should come off.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Restaurant foods usually have a ton of sodium. Its water weight. Drink water and it will come back down over a few days.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Hello

So this past weekend, i went out with friends. I made sure to accurately put in everything that I had eaten this weekend. I even added in a some serious cushion calories for the two items I wasn't sure about their exact calorie count. So I ended up eating about 400 calories below maintenance for me.

I know I didn't get enough water for my weight but I still ended each day with at least 8 cups of water.

Except I got on the scale Monday morning and it said that I was 3 pounds heavier than I was on friday. Which is mind boggling because there was absolutely no way with how meticulous I was this weekend to have gained 3 pounds.

So I am at a loss. Any ideas?

Get your head out of the scale! I get that it feels good but it's so detouring when you see a gain.

Most likely not from the weekend and could be water if everything you are saying is accurate and you've been constantly tracking and eating under maintenance for the last 3-4 weeks. if that's not the case then think back 3-4 weeks ago and that's what you're seeing if it is in fact an actual gain.

Is your period coming? (well are you even female?) than it's water for sure!

Don't get caught up in the scale game, check once a month... once a week and nothing more!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Most people can fluctuate from 0-5 Lbs day to day...body weight isn't static. You were eating out yes? Restaurant food is loaded with sodium...sodium = water retention.
  • Aliteralballofsunshine
    Options
    Thanks guys. I will definitely be upping my water intake from now on. Its just all the constant peeing. I just keeping telling myself the walks to the bathroom are aiding my step goal.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,686 Member
    Options
    If you are drinking 8 cups a day, you are probably drinking more than enough water. It's just a matter of accepting that some days your body will retain water more than other days. Restaurant meals are obvious. A hard workout will also do it. So will a high fiber or high carb meal, especially if you don't usually do that. Go back to your usual eating and weigh yourself again in a few days or a week. Chances are you'll see that not only have you lost the 3 pounds, you've lost more.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I will definitely be upping my water intake from now on. Its just all the constant peeing. I just keeping telling myself the walks to the bathroom are aiding my step goal.

Nope, you have missed the point - understand and accept your weight fluctuates rather than try and micro manage and control something that is completely normal.
    You will have a really miserable and stressful time when you try and maintain at goal weight if you continue the way you are.
  • Aliteralballofsunshine
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Nope, you have missed the point - understand and accept your weight fluctuates rather than try and micro manage and control something that is completely normal.
    You will have a really miserable and stressful time when you try and maintain at goal weight if you continue the way you are.

I haven't missed the point. The point everyone was making was salt affecting as well as not stressing myself about numbers on a scale. While I can't help the number fluctuating. I can help with the amount of water that I am taking in to help out with retaining water. I am well aware that weight can fluctuate. This isn't my first weight loss rodeo. This is however the time when I am attempting to do it right.
  • Aliteralballofsunshine
    Options
    If you are drinking 8 cups a day, you are probably drinking more than enough water. It's just a matter of accepting that some days your body will retain water more than other days. Restaurant meals are obvious. A hard workout will also do it. So will a high fiber or high carb meal, especially if you don't usually do that. Go back to your usual eating and weigh yourself again in a few days or a week. Chances are you'll see that not only have you lost the 3 pounds, you've lost more.

I have researched a lot online and with my wellness coach. Everything I've read and everything she's stated is that because of my weight I need a higher amount of water intake. Definitely more than 8 cups a day.

I've recently joined a gym so I'll try some of their workout classes.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Have you been to the bathroom since eating?

I have researched a lot online and with my wellness coach. Everything I've read and everything she's stated is that because of my weight I need a higher amount of water intake. Definitely more than 8 cups a day.

I wouldn't stick to what a website says about water intake. Listen to your body and go by your urine color. If your urine is always clear, back off on the water consumption and aim for a pale yellow/straw color which is optimal water consumption for you at that very moment.
  • Aliteralballofsunshine
    Options
    Have you been to the bathroom since eating?

I wouldn't stick to what a website says about water intake. Listen to your body and go by your urine color. If your urine is always clear, back off on the water consumption and aim for a pale yellow/straw color which is optimal water consumption for you at that very moment.

okay. I will shoot for that.
  • shelltree82
    shelltree82 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Me personally my weight fluctuates according to my cycle. I didn't find this out until I controlled every calorie going in my mouth and after 9 weeks of strict calorie counting there was a pattern. At first I couldn't understand why after eating the same meals and doing the same exercise every day each week was resulted in this weird pattern. A 3-4lb loss, 0-1lb loss, 3-4lb loss, 0-1lb loss for 9 weeks. A few web searches later and other women were saying the same - mother nature. I mean you expect it around the usual lead up to the time of the month but when you ovulate? And now I know this pattern I have it helps me control the panic when I weigh myself and see an increase for no justifiable reason I just reach for the calendar to make sure. I just wish I'd known my body did this all the year's before when I used to sit in either weight watchers or slimming world classes and feel utterly useless as I'd thought I'd eaten healthy that week and you maintain or gain and you just couldn't understand why. I get all women are different etc but this is my story and after a few searches other women's too.