After work snacks

Options
leannepat42
leannepat42 Posts: 28 Member
edited January 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi, any suggestions for healthy after work snacks? I find this to be the most difficult time of the day.

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i call it dinner.
  • leannepat42
    leannepat42 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    i call it dinner.

No, not dinner. It's too early for dinner. It's the time between when I come home from work and before I start preparing dinner for my family.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    A boiled egg, fruit, raw vegis, nuts, tuna, avocado
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    Typical late afternoon snacks for me include: carrots + hummus, nuts, dried fruit, popcorn, pita chips (sometimes with hummus) or a piece of toast with almond butter and honey.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I make tea in my travel mug in the late afternoon. I nurse that until dinner is ready.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    You wouldn't want to get too full or use too many calories so I'd go for a piece of fruit, snack pack of crackers, raw veggies or olives, hard boiled egg, small cup of yogurt.....
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Just before dinner is hardest for me too. I have my afternoon snack about an hour before I leave work. I pick something that is macro balanced for satiety. I then can make supper without snacking.

A typical snack will be about 100 calories like half a protein bar, edamame pods, or a small portion of peanuts.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    For me, a good cup of coffee or tea. I tend to rely on protein bars, lowfat cheese sticks, popcorn, apples, and jerky.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    protein shake!
    veggies, fruit, yogurt, cottage cheese
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I struggled with this, too. I finally came to the conclusion that the afternoon snack was just a habit in my brain left over from childhood, and it wasn't really about hunger. I started afternoon coffee break. Every day when I get home from work, I have a large cup of coffee with Splenda and Half & Half (this makes it a treat because I normally drink my coffee black). I relax in my comfy chair and sip and savor it and make an event out of it. This has really helped me kick the afternoon snack habit, and it holds me over until dinner.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Late afternoon is also my hangriest time of day. I've found that popcorn is my favorite go-to snack. Pistachios are also good. If I don't eat something right before my commute home, I am much more likely to overeat at dinner.
  • mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this would work but I saw my aunt do this with kids who didn't like veggies. She let them eat some of their dinner early but just the veggies. I have done this before with roasted brussel sprouts. I don't love them but I will eat quit a pile of them if I'm really hungry. I put them out with toothpicks when the whole family is helping to cook and we all snack quilt free.

Also, I always carry extra fruit in my lunch box. If I'm STARVING I will eat it. It is surprising how often I feel like I'm hungry but don't really want to eat that apple. I tell myself that if I'm not hungry for that then I'm not REALLY hungry
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Tea/coffee & an apple, maybe a few olives if I'm craving something salty! What I should do is just go to the gym (like I always say I'm going to do!!)... OK, today I will :-)

I don't really love apples, but that way it's more about nutrition than just stuffing my pie-hole.
  • rs604
    rs604 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    it's tough one! try to keep yourself busy with something you have planed for when you get home. I like to up date my food diary
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Premier protein shake or a Muscle Milk 100 calorie shake mixed with black coffee for a high protein latte.

Cereal and half cup almond milk

60 calorie Activia light and fruit or veggies

Lunch meat and veggies
  • FLBeachluvr
    FLBeachluvr Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Wrap some string cheese in a couple thin slices of turkey.
  • RandiNoelle
    RandiNoelle Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I like a piece of frozen Dove Dark Chocolate (45 calories). I stick in my mouth and let it melt during the drive from the office to home.

Popcorn is also good. I just picked up some white cheddar Smartfood popcorn. A small, pre-popped bag is only 80 calories.
  • szkodzt
    szkodzt Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    My go-to right now is a 70 calorie pack of tuna (sometimes a flavored one, but those can be higher calories) on a piece of low-carb toast. Helps to reach my protein macro and is very filling.
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    3 oz of non-fat greek yogurt with 1 oz of fruit add in and a pack of stevia - 12g of protein for ~80 calories should hold you over until dinner :) or a babybel cheese, its between 50-70 calories depending on which one you get for 6g of protein. or an apple, 5g of fiber which usually lasts me about 1 hr.