Running at night?

Options
Does anyone run at night? If so, where (street, track etc)? Where I live, street lights are infrequent and my clumsy self worried about tripping and spraining my ankle.

Replies

• dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Try running or walking a set route during the day several times a week. Once you're used to the nooks and crannies, you can graduate to running at night with more confidence about your footing.
  • Caite_S
    Caite_S Posts: 42
    Options
    I find that I run better at night, but I'm also very clumsy and took a bad fall while running one night and got pretty banged up, since then I try to run around 7:30 p.m. so that it is still light out and I can see where I'm running. When I did run at night I ran in my neighborhood just on the sidewalk or the street depending on where I was (some of our streets don't have sidewalks)
  • sharonus
    sharonus Posts: 102
    Options
    I don't run at night because I'm concerned about safety. It is going to get hard as winter comes on though, as it gets dark very early here. If you are running in the dark, make it in a very populated area and don't wear headphones. You need to be very aware of what is around you and that's hard if you're distracted by music.
  • Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Try running or walking a set route during the day several times a week. Once you're used to the nooks and crannies, you can graduate to running at night with more confidence about your footing.

Good Idea!!

Or if you're like me.. Run/Walk during the day but somewhere scenic, a park, the beach, in the foothills. It might be more enjoyable even if it is during the day. (recovering from a broken ankle 3/21/11 and it's no picnic)
  • laursey
    laursey Posts: 307
    Options
    My husband has a headlamp. It's just like a headband, but has a battery operated light on it. But I agree, get used to the run during the day, then venture out at night.

6143704.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I used to run at night primarily. My time was around 11pm, and there were several runs where I wouldn't get back until around 1am. It was glorious. I lived in an area where the streetlamps were decent, and it wasn't a problem finding enough light to run. There weren't any people out, no idiots honking their horns or whistling at me.. I loved it. Absolutely loved it.

And then I had a baby, and I have to work my running around both of their schedules. Which means night running is definitely out, so I now run in the evening or early morning, depending on how it works out.