Women over 45 Support/Motivation for 2017-Happy New Year!

Options

Replies

• Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I want in. I have 10 weeks until my 50th birthday & a goal to lose 10 more pounds & tone up so I look good in a bikini.

I never had a problem with my weight. I was about 125 my whole life until I hit 40, then the pounds started creeping up. My 45 I was pushing 160 & miserable. I hadn't changed my lifestyle too much so the weight gain was maddening. It really is different after 40.

I'm 59 and need to lose over a hundred lbs. The healthy eating part I understand and know what to do. What I a having struggles with is the exercise. I have arthritis in my back, hips and knees so movement can be a problem. Does anyone know of a gentle exercise cd or website that I can start slowly with?

Do you have access to a pool? Anything done in water would be ideal.

Also try yoga focus on the breathing & the stretching.

If not, can you walk, even a little? Small steps on a flat surface will help. Gentle impacts not harsh stomping.

I used to do chair exercises with my mom when she was in her 80s. Sit in a straight hard chair. March -- lift your legs like your walking but don't get up. Do leg lifts-- Swing your legs up so they are straight in front of you & back down. Do ankle circles. Bend from side to side. Twist to look behind you. Raise your hands over your head in all directions. Add weights if you are able, even two cans one in each hand adds some resistance.
  • newgirl57
    newgirl57 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I am 59 now, and after a car accident last year I gained a lot of weight. Only managed to lose 8 pounds in 2016, and gained back 4 over the holidays. Hrumpf. I need a support group to make this work! Please add me!
  • BeBe4evr
    BeBe4evr Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Im interested. At age 48 I find myself to be a yo-yo exerciser. Its been a couple of months since i gave up and here I am again. Gained 15 lbs that have me moving feeling slugish. Looking for support and motivation. Add me if you want support and motivation...Id like the same.
  • breezybeem
    breezybeem Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Count me in!!!
  • bwnsug2596
    bwnsug2596 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm in!! Just turned 60... On a mission to lose a good bit of weight.. My son is getting married in Aug and hoping for my first grandchild in 2018!!
  • mollyizzy
    mollyizzy Posts: 9 Member
    Options

newgirl57 wrote: »
    I'm in! I am 59 now, and after a car accident last year I gained a lot of weight. Only managed to lose 8 pounds in 2016, and gained back 4 over the holidays. Hrumpf. I need a support group to make this work! Please add me!

I also was in an accident last year - struck by a car as s pedestrian. I'm thankful to be so much better now, but the weight piled on while I was restricted (broken leg and concussion) and then I got in sedentary habits. Yoga has been incredibly helpful in my physical and mental recovery.

• meliwai
    meliwai Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'd like to be in! I just turned 50 last June. I have an arm injury and had to stop lifting in August. Also have gained a couple of pounds during the holidays! Would love to get back to normal. I'm also trying to change some habits.
  • msfutureskinnyminnie
    Options
    I just turned 46...I just started my journey ....please feel free to add me
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I will be 47 next month. It took me all of 2016 to lose almost 20#'s. I'm finding myself in an emotional place right now and where I was doing well with not eating emotionally, I am struggling again. I'm going to pick Beck's book back up (The Beck Diet Solution) and go through it again, but it's frustrating to find myself back in this spot. And yes, it IS more difficult to lose after 40. I am hypothyroid, have primary pituitary damage (which means less hormones produced), PCOS, massive insulin resistance, and peri menopausal hormones. :persevere: Yep. It's frustrating. My goal for 2017 is to lose 40#'s. In the end, it will take me 3yrs to lose what I need to total (about 90#'s from the beginning). I keep telling myself as long as I'm going down, then I'm not staying in the same place I'm in right now. If I can keep brainwashing that into myself I might make my goal this year. Maintaining a tight deficit is absolutely critical for me, even with a lot to lose, because of the hormone issues. I find I have to be about 300 calories lower then MFP states for me. That puts me at 1200 if I stick to the minimum. That is sooooo hard to hold. I lift heavy which helps, but it's not a perfect fix.
  • FLBeachluvr
    FLBeachluvr Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 lbs. in 2011 when I was 49. It was hard especially as I was already post-menopausal at that age. Now I've gained about 30 lbs. back as I've been overeating and not exercising. I literally have about 5 outfits that I can squeeze into out of a closet stuffed full of cute clothes so I know it's time to do something. I know it will be even harder now that I'm 54 and being short and having a desk job doesn't help with the amount of calories I can eat to be in a deficit. That being said I'm ready to make changes! Feel free to add me if you want.
  • andyphin
    andyphin Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am in as well! I am 48 and starting all over again. Would love to lose 30 lbs but for now going to concentrate on losing 10 as my main goal. I have done a lot of running in the past but have not been active at all over the past year. Will be starting with walking this week and hopefully running again in about 4 weeks.

My other main goal is to not let real life stress derail my routine and efforts. The minute something stressful happens I find myself abandoning all my routines, when I need them the most! I am committed to making 2017 better for my health, mental and physical!

Feel free to friend/message me.
  • Mili_2017
    Mili_2017 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Morning Everyone! Happy New Year!
    I am start tracking today...I know I do not lose weight easily due some common factors due age, gender and medical condition and I know it is hard to have the discipline to track everything everyday....but...here I am challenging myself. Will do for myself and for people in my life. If I don't see weight loss....I will remind myself that INSIDE I will be looking better...and probably this part is the most important one...your sugar levels, colesterol numbers, your circulation etc, energy...a better heart a better me.

Love to you all and a happy journey! We can do it!

:)
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    I'm 49 and having a lot of success. At the same time, health issues definitely have crept in. The biggest issue, really, is my hypothyroidisim. Being perimenopausal adds some craziness. I still lose weight when I restrict my calories - no problem there. But additional challenges can happen. My challenge this year for my "final 30" is to stay focused and not make excuses. I got 50 down last year and feel I can do this. You can do it too! Stay strong and good luck!
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    I'm 59 and need to lose over a hundred lbs. The healthy eating part I understand and know what to do. What I a having struggles with is the exercise. I have arthritis in my back, hips and knees so movement can be a problem. Does anyone know of a gentle exercise cd or website that I can start slowly with?

Have you asked your doctor? I have found Pilates to be amazing with my back issues, BUT the issues aren't arthritis and my movement isn't really restricted. Rather, I deal with constant back pain since my first son's birth 30 years ago that no doctor has really been able to touch (or any chiropractor). I have an old DVD, I think from the 90s originally, with Jennifer Kries (sp?) - it's wonderful, at least for me. Have you considered Pilates or Yoga? Again, provided your doctor gives her say-so as I don't know your issues exactly and I'm not a doctor myself. :)
  • meganac69
    meganac69 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year to all! I would love to join you. I am 47 (for about 6 more weeks) and have about 50 pounds to lose. In my experience, while losing weight has been a struggle, keeping it off has been a bigger challenge. I have set a lot of goals for myself in 2017, including completing a sprint triathlon in June and some 5K and other events between now and then. While I do not expect to lose all the weight by June, I know that it will be substantially easier if I have made a significant dent by then.

I am thrilled to find a group of like-minded (and aged) people to share the journey with. :)
  • jcpwag
    jcpwag Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Please count me in. I'm 45, and looking to lose 30 pounds as well as general improvement in my fitness level. Tired of my 'fat' clothes, lol.
  • serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I'm 45 and have always managed to maintain my weight, but I have lost a lot of muscle mass over the years. Now I am lifting heavy to try and get it back.
  • fmcasady
    fmcasady Posts: 1 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I'm 46, mother of two energetic boys and I have 100+ lbs to lose this year. Lost 76 in previous 2 years, stalled the last 3 months or so. Ready to get started & stick with it this year. Food is not really a big issue for me anymore, lack of motivation/activity is at the heart of it at this point. I've been sedentary for so long, the "want to" get off the couch or chair needs major help. Being in the first stages of menopausal doesn't help either, lol.
  • drjodihowell
    drjodihowell Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am 47 years old, and would like to lose 65 pounds, which is how much I have gained over the past year- ugh.. I am currently at my heaviest weight (even heavier than during each of my pregnancies). I have never had such a hard time losing and keeping the weight off. I am menopausal, but there are likely so many other contributing factors.. I'm hoping to take it one day at a time, and utilize support in a variety of forums.. Glad to be here!