How to stay patient

Options
I've been very diligent about logging calories for the last 50 days and have lost about 13 pounds, but I feel SO frustrated when I go a few days being hyper-vigilant about my diet and then step on the scale to see not a single ounce lost--in fact, some days, I see a gain. I know this is all normal and could be down to anything: water weight, my muscles adjusting to a new workout, whatever. Yet I find it so discouraging! So, successful losers, how do you find the patience to stay with it when you KNOW you're working hard and the scale just won't budge? Do you focus on other markers, like inches? Do you find yourself "cheating" out of frustration or can you hang in there?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day as well. What I do is log the numbers in a weight tracking app (Happy Scale for iOS, Libra for Android, and web-based Trendweight are the most popular choices). That helps me look past the fluctuations and see that even if I'm up a pound today, I'm still down from a month ago.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I focus on the process and I put my focus on health and wellness and fitness...not so much on the scale.

Also, understand that weight loss is just one tiny part of a much larger process...people tend to have this notion that they hit a certain weight and, yay...done...nope...you're just getting started.
  • namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    You have lost 13 lbs in 50 days! CELEBRATE THE VICTORY!!!!!!!!!! Now,weigh yourself less but keep doing what you are doing because it obviously is working. Weight loss is not linear!
  • sarajenivieve
    sarajenivieve Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I do measurments your results are usually more accurate than weight also though make sure you are weighing yourself the same day every week and same time , i prefer morning you will get a lower weight because you havent eaten at least as much but also its more accurate because its not being affected by any other factors like intake,bloating,swelling, etc
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    ^^^This.

I will add for me this is a lifestyle. I will have to watch my weight forever. I also know that it will take a year to get to my goal weight so I have other goals as well, fitness related (e.g. running a 5k, lifting).

I also look at it as a learning experience for when I get to maintenance. What foods keep me satisfied, what foods I should only eat occasionally.

Now that doesn't mean I don't have my moments I was up 2lbs today and I had just a moment of "uggg" BUT yesterday I ran .89 for the first time since grade school and so I'm pretty sure I'm retaining water.

These past 6 months so far have taught me the scale goes up and down but it trends down.

Settle down for the long ride:).

ETA - it's a mind game:).
  • katorihanzo
    katorihanzo Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Monthly measurements and non-scale victories. Maybe you can do more push-ups than you could 50 days ago? Or fit into pants you couldn't fit into? Focus more on these non-daily accomplishments. I weigh myself monthly as well but if I had a problem seeing the oz fluctuations I'd probably switch to weekly.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I can't weigh daily or I would go crazy. To answer your actual question. If I know I am doing everything I should be doing at I am not losing then I just keep doing it. What I have really found though, is that if I am not losing anything for a few weeks, then I adjust how much or what I am eating.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,883 Member
    Options
    I focus on other things entirely.

Like ... my progress with walking, running and cycling, and in particular, training for the next event. Or like my university courses and other projects I'm working on.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I stay patient and stick with it because the alternative is an unhealthy unfit uncomfortable life.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I stay patient and stick with it because the alternative is an unhealthy unfit uncomfortable life.

Yes. It IS frustrating sometimes. I feel like I've done my time, now give me my reward. But I stick with it because the progress, though slower than I'd like, is happening, and because it because it beats the alternative.
  • katorihanzo
    katorihanzo Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Monthly measurements and non-scale victories. Maybe you can do more push-ups than you could 50 days ago? Or fit into pants you couldn't fit into? Focus more on these non-daily accomplishments. I weigh myself monthly as well but if I had a problem seeing the oz fluctuations I'd probably switch to weekly.

Sorry, meant to say I weight daily
  • Arizona_C
    Arizona_C Posts: 1,476 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    I weigh every day as well. What I do is log the numbers in a weight tracking app (Happy Scale for iOS, Libra for Android, and web-based Trendweight are the most popular choices). That helps me look past the fluctuations and see that even if I'm up a pound today, I'm still down from a month ago.

I follow malibu927 on this one, its a great advice and what helped me when loosing weight.

My weight has been steady for a year or two, still I keep on weighting in every morning. With time, I have learend to read those digits; to know when waterweight is going up or down, and why.

Simple things like salty foods, harder work outs, being before a period, etc, make the body retain water, and explain why weight can be up.

Not drinking enough the day before or sweating during night can make weight go slightly down.

For you there might be more or other reasons; if you stay attentionate to yourself and the little daily changes, you changes in your weight might be easier to understand and make it easier to accept
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    13 lbs in 50 days is great! You say you know whsts happening now is normal so why get discouraged? Consider tracking your weight daily in a trending app like Happy Scale or Libra so you can learn the FACTS about your patterns and fluctuations. You need to re-educate yourself about how weight loss works and learn to work with it rather than fight against it and try to change reality.
  • jaxonzhole
    jaxonzhole Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    And.....in 190 days you will have lost 50lbs. Not sure what you want to lose but you r headed in the perfect down direction! Keep up the good work and remember slow and steady wins the race
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Yo can go by measurements and how your clothes fit as well. Set some other goals. Maybe a healthy food goal, water intake or fitness related? Ex: I used to try to do 100 pushups/day when losing.
  • birdtobe
    birdtobe Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for such solid advice. @DancingMoosie, I will definitely set a fitness goal, as I have started weight-lifting at home. @Lorrpb and @Malibu927, I really appreciate the apps recs. I absolutely want to learn about how it really works--not just the stupid myths I have been taught!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It took me 2.5 years to lose 148 lbs. When I felt frustrated about how long it took, I thought of the success stories I'd read on here from people who lost even more and took even longer.
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I get discouraged easily too, but I try to focus on how much better I feel after working out. I also tend to think about other people's success, and tell myself that will be me one day. Another thing which helps me is taking notice of other positive changes - like eating less, drinking more water, walking longer, etc.

You're doing great so far, though - keep it up!! :)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Diet fatigue is real - of course we want the weight off - but this is just a short phase. How will you manage to stay patient in maintenance, when you're being hyper-vigilant and NOT going to see a loss at all?

Consider whether you are working too hard. Losing weight is really simple, it's just about eating less than you burn, and doing it consistently. Are you eating less than you have to? Are you depriving yourself of foods you like? Are you eating something you don't like, or at a schedule that's difficult for you, because it's supposed to be "healthy" or a "weight loss aid"? Are you "killing yourself" in the gym? None of these things are necessary, in fact, that's what usually leads to failure.

If you cheat, you are only cheating on yourself. Don't do that.