Meals without cooking/blending? Help!

Options
Hey guys! So I have a question and was wondering if anyone can give me some suggestions or advice.

My husband and I are recovering addicts (over 8 months clean) and are living in a couples shelter as a result of our addiction. This severely affects the way we eat and makes it so much harder to be healthy. The shelter serves 3 meals a day but more often than not, they are disgusting. Now, we do have our own room and own mini fridge so we do have our own foods such as oatmeal, cereal, granola bars, fruits, sometimes veggies and honestly, that's pretty much it. A lot of times we buy just what we're gonna have for the day because we are short on space with just a mini fridge.

We aren't allowed to cook which absolutely kills! So that by itself eliminates so many good, healthy meals. We also cannot have blenders (bye, bye homemade smoothies), hot pots, coffee machines (so depressing but I do buy coffee every morning outside but can't bring it in because we aren't allowed to bring in unopened bottles or fountain drinks! Insanity! They're so afraid that people will drink alcohol but they do it anyways, duh!) and we also cannot bring in cans, tins or glass bottles and like I said just a second ago, we also cannot bring in unopened bottles, fountain drinks, coffee, shakes or smoothies. So as you can imagine, it's tough to eat right, lose weight and enjoy your meals without spending a shitton of money that we don't have or else we wouldn't be living in a shelter.

So the question is: do you know of any good meals or foods that we can eat without cooking or blending? We can microwave but it is a bit of a hassle but I would definitely be willing of course.

We do have oatmeal, fruits, fruit salads, veggies, granola, but aside from a that, I'm honestly as a loss. I just don't know what else to make or have that isn't 1,000 calories per bite haha.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• harribeau2012
    harribeau2012 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Overnight oats are tastey low GI and are not just for breakfast.
    http://www.katheats.com/favorite-foods/overnightoats
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Tuna, salmon or chicken pouches
    Bread, tortillas, bagels
    Nuts, seeds
    Wasabi peas
    Summer sausage, jerky
    Deli meat
    Cheese
    Go-gurt
    Powdered milk
  • flagrantavidity
    flagrantavidity Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Soylent.com

Soylent powder which you can mix with a shaker is $1.54 per 400 calories.

Soylent drink comes prepared in 400 calorie bottles, it's $2.69 per 400 calories.

Complete nutrition.

• cpalumbo89
    cpalumbo89 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Omlettes can be made in a mug in the microwave. There are actually cook books out now for college students focused solely on microwaveable meals in mugs. I'd suggest you check it out! I'd also suggest getting a rotisserie chicken if your fridge is big enough. Potatoes or sweet potatoes are microwaveable, and go with just about any topping. I like mine with beans, which maybe you can get some from a salad bar in your grocery store? I know you said no cans. They also make soup in bags now, but idk if that would be allowed either. If you can heat up water I'd also suggest getting rice noodles and making your own ramen with tofu and ginger and garlic.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a library look for microwave or raw food cookbooks. A search on google for the same terms should turn up plenty of recipes as well.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Can you bring in something like a rotisserie chicken? You can get them precooked from a deli, strip it and put the meat in sandwich baggies. You can use that in salad or microwaved vegetables and/or pasta blends. Many of those can be steamed in the bag and if you tossed them with some chicken they would be a decent meal. Most uncooked squash can be stored without refrigeration so if you like things like spaghetti squash with spaghetti sauce you could eat it like that or add the chicken for protein. Acorn and butternut squash can also be microwaved. So can potatoes and sweet potatoes, both good with chicken. Shredded chicken with sweet potato and BBQ sauce is pretty good. The salad combos are endless.
  • xidejungle
    xidejungle Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much guys! I feel so stupid for not realizing all the things we could have been having haha

I love the rotisserie chicken idea to make other meals out of it!
  • ddeenniissee77
    ddeenniissee77 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    How about something like a bean salad? My grocery store sells beans in tetra paks (so cans can be avoided). I'm planning on making something like this tomorrow.
    http://www.obsev.com/food/how-make-trader-joes-awesome-balela-salad.html
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    in addition to this suggestion - any thought of talking to the shelter and volunteering to help with food prep (if they'll let you)/make healthier suggestions (if can be done for cheaper)
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Someone else mentioned omelettes - my mum always uses a microwave for scrambled eggs (no butter, just mush then ping) and poached eggs.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    That microwave can be really helpful.
    Seasoned rice packets, instant potatoes, macaroni and cheese
    Ramen (stop at the salad bar for some veggies to throw in there if your store has one - mushroom slices, spinach, shredded carrot, etc.)
    Baked potatoes (top with some black beans and salsa or cheese and broccoli for more of a full meal)
    Microwave/pre-cooked bacon or sausage
    Popcorn
    Shelf-stable meals (I think Hormel makes stews, chicken and rice, and a few others - come in a plastic container)
    Frozen veggies
    Frozen chicken or veggie patties to eat on sandwiches or crumble in salads - it sounds like you can get to a store somewhat easily, as you'd have to buy the frozen items in small quantities or the same day

No cooking or already prepared:
    Sandwiches or wraps - peanut butter or other nut butters, deli meats and cheeses, pouch tuna or salmon mixed with a little hummus and crunchy vegetables
    Rotisserie chicken
    Grocery store salad bars have cleaned and prepped veggies, nuts, seeds, beans, cheeses, olives, etc - you can get small amounts of certain items instead of buying larger quantities that waste space in your mini-fridge.
    Beef jerky
    Hummus
    Cheese sticks
    Hard boiled eggs
    Veggies and dip