Cycling mishaps

Ride a bike long enough and something is bound to happen. It can be something as simple as the bike falling apart on you as you ride away from a Wal-Mart to having your bike snap in half as you ride straight into a Wal-Mart you didn't see. Both are true stories by the way. Please share some of your cycling mishap and I shall share some of mine.

Replies

• becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Maybe stop cycling to Wal-Mart.........lol
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    How do you not "see" a Walmart? I quit riding a bike when I crashed into a parked van. I zoned out and for some reason I was staring down at my tire, and SMACK, right into the back of a parked van.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    I was going to say the same thing - how does one not see a Walmart? LMAO
    My son's chain fell off his bike when the gears just fell apart while riding on Long Beach Island NJ.
  • Racouol
    Racouol Posts: 53 Member
    Run_Fit wrote: »
    How do you not "see" a Walmart?

The simple answer would be I got distracted by a bird. Behind that Wal-mart there was a heavily forested area with a few small clearings. I entered that trail system from a residential area on the other side of that forest. As I got near the Wal-mart end in one of the clearing a blue heron startled me as it suddenly took flight near me. I guess at that point I zoned out and didn't notice the forest ending and the asphalt beginning. I realized what happened when I rode straight into the building. To be fair this was the back of the Wal-mart and there wasn't much distance between the woods and that building. Thankfully I didn't have to walk all the way home carrying both halves of the bike. I classmate saw me and gave me a ride.
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Racouol wrote: »

The simple answer would be I got distracted by a bird. Behind that Wal-mart there was a heavily forested area with a few small clearings. I entered that trail system from a residential area on the other side of that forest. As I got near the Wal-mart end in one of the clearing a blue heron startled me as it suddenly took flight near me. I guess at that point I zoned out and didn't notice the forest ending and the asphalt beginning. I realized what happened when I rode straight into the building. To be fair this was the back of the Wal-mart and there wasn't much distance between the woods and that building. Thankfully I didn't have to walk all the way home carrying both halves of the bike. I classmate saw me and gave me a ride.

I just realized you're the same guy who caught his leg on fire while making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich! Poor guy, you can't seem to catch a break.
  • Racouol
    Racouol Posts: 53 Member
    Racouol wrote: »

I just realized you're the same guy who caught his leg on fire while making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich! Poor guy, you can't seem to catch a break.

I am somewhat accident prone. Thankfully I usually do not get too seriously injured from these accidents.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    I have not had too many mishaps. The biggest I had was having the wheel of my mountain bike go off the side of the road where they had not properly back filled. The drop was about 5 to 6 inches and the pavement caught the tire wall stopping it dead. I flipped over the handle bars and landed on the pavement. I was fairly shook up but dragged myself and my bike off the road. Id had several abrasions, cracked my helmet (although I am not sure if that was from the crash or from actions afterward, broke my hand, and the front wheel of my bike was toast. Thankfully my phone was not damaged so I could call my wife to come out with the truck and pick me up. It was only later that I really started to notice the pain.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Thankfully no big mishaps here. I have the occasional forgetting to unclip when I come to a stop. Of course EVERY time this happens someone is there to witness it. :|
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,069 Member
    Very true statement. I had been commuting to work by bike for 1.5yrs before I got hit by a car. Partially my fault. I entered the intersection on a stale green light and it was 5 lanes wide. Light turned yellow for the stopped cars as soon as I passed first lane, but I was already committed at that point. Turned green for them RIGHT as I got in front of the 5th car. He didn't see me and started going. Luckily he had just accelerated so barely any speed. Knocked me off of my bike onto his hood. Thankfully no injuries other than some bruising. Bike tire was a little out of alignment, but was able to get it good enough to get me to work and home. I didn't tell my husband for 3 weeks and just wore long pants/socks to hide the bruising.

We live near downtown of a car aggressive major city and my kids ride their bikes to school. Your post is exactly what scares me...ride a bike long enough and something is bound to happen. Luckily so far the worst to happen to them is their rack coming loose and their school books getting spilt on the road.
  • murph155
    murph155 Posts: 116 Member
    I'm not a cyclist, but had an odd incident happen YEARS ago. It was when they first started having the bike-a-thon in Central Park (I told you it was years ago. LOL!) I was standing in line with my brand new bike waiting to register, when an out-of-control horse carriage came flying by, catching the rear wheel of my bike and bending it in half. Wound up having a shouting match on Central Park West with the owner of carriage a week later so he'd pay for my bike to be fixed.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I was about 20 miles into a training ride for my first century and I didn't realize that my front tire had gotten a little low...I went around a corner and the rubber peeled off the wheel sending me over the handlebars at about 18 MPH. I fixed the tire an foolishly road the last 10 miles when I should have just called my wife for a pick up. Once the adrenaline wore off, it was very apparent that I had done something pretty bad to both of my shoulders and had road rash from hell.

It turned out that I had badly sprained both of my rotator cuffs and would require some PT as well as time off the bike. I ended up doing a 1/2 century due to losing so much training time...my injury occurred in March and I was still in quite a bit of discomfort at the end of May for my ride. It took about 6 months for me to feel "normal" again.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    I drove all the way to Twisp (more than 200 miles) to ride over Loup Loup Pass, and forgot to bring socks. There's nowhere to buy socks in Twisp at 5:30 pm. I wrapped my feet in napkins and did the ride.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1269592821

The way back down was on dirt roads, and the surface was badly washboarded in places, so I had to ride the brakes pretty hard a lot of the way down. That's when I learned that you can overheat braking fluid and contaminate your brake line, on a bike.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    My cheap Walmart bike fell apart on a trail in rural Virginia. That was the last Walmart bike we ever purchased.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    I had about 10 miles to go in a 40 mile tour, had gotten separated from my group, & my pedal snapped off. I finished anyway, using just one pedal (& met my group at the end).
  • megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    edited January 2017
    I cut my big toe off when I was 4 in the teeth of my cousin's bike...Well I blame my older brother as he was driving.

To make matters worse my gma had just walked past us and said "Mickey you shouldn't be doing that."

Broke my left wrist when I flipped over backwards on my bike when I was 10..Either that or later that night when I was jumping bed to bed in my sister's room and fell and hit her headboard..

So ended my cycling days....
  • I was bit by a neighborhood dog. Now I'm terrified to ride past homes with dogs. I do it but I really don't like it!!
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Lol, a gruesome fest! @megemrj seems to be in the lead with losing her big toe. I have only road rash tales, just ground off a fingernail badly enough that it never really came back. Not even in the running.
  • dfc4
    dfc4 Posts: 109 Member
    I used to race the spings classics here in Europe.......my worst race was Paris Roubaix back in 1989.
    Just before the finish line my equipment gave up on me and my handelbars broke off.
    I did a perfect foreward summersault as i crossed the line....best finish i ever did in a race