why cant i get below 80 kg?

Options
I dont know if this has happened to any of you? I never seem to get below 80kg. I have been on mfp for 100 days, consistently. I lose weight, then when i get to 80 i begin to add weight again , i get discouraged, stop exercising, then get to 85kg, then start to lose again down till 80. Last week when i got to 80 again, i put in all the efforts i could and ate right, but alas, just checked again this week, i am still 80 kg. any advice from anyone who had difficulty in breaking through a wall?

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Since I'm from the US, I'm not quite sure how much is 80kg. But, there are a couple reasons why you may not be losing anymore:

A) You aren't eating enough. You have to eat to lose weight. By severely restricting your calories, your body will lose weight initially but after awhile -- the weight loss will slow down or even stop. When that happens, try upping your calories for a few weeks to see what happens.

B) It is time to switch up your workout routine. Our bodies get used to what we're doing and when they do? They don't burn nearly as many calories as it did when the workout was new. Switching things up regularly confuses the body.

C) You may be at the weight that is ideal for your body. I truly believe we ALL have an ideal weight and when we reach that weight our bodies are comfortable there. Sometimes you'll have to do something extreme to convince it to lose more weight. This is when you have to decide whether to try and figure out what it wants or be happy and content with where you are.

(I know that I could drop another 5lbs and be 140lbs, but in order to do this? I know that I have to consume 3000 NET calories a day for it to drop the weight and keep it off. Since I am NOT interested in eating 3000 calories a day - I will be happy and content with 145lbs).
  • cowpacino
    cowpacino Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    you don't break that plateau because you get discouraged and stop exercising, For the longest time I could never get below 205 lbs, and now I'm at 190
  • Cilenia
    Cilenia Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I you need to stick at it, Sometimes a body needs some time to get adjusted to a weight before it is ready to loose weight again. Dont loose hope. You will start loosing again.

It might be an idea to fill in your diary so we can see what you eat and assist you more

ps. 80 kg is 176 lb for people who want to conversion ;)
  • mgram2
    mgram2 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Make sure that you are readjusting your caloric intake for your new weight and not have it based on your old weight. When you lose weight, your body doesn't need as many calories to function at the same levels. This is why many people have that plateau effect.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    You need to track your food if you want to really know what's going on. It's hard to guess what you might be doing if we don't know what you're eating to offer advice. Start by trying to be really diligent about tracking your calories and see if that alone doesn't help.