Will this weight loss strategy work?

Options
I've been 170 pounds, give or take a pound or two, for 10 years. I want to be at 165 lbs and stay that way eating what I've been eating for the past 10 years.

Can I go on a strict smoothie diet or some nutrisystem type of diet to lose 5 pounds and then just go back to regular eating to stay at 165?
I need a solid way to lose 5 pounds and then go back to my normal eating lifestyle since I've already been successful at maintaining a regular weight.

Thanks
Rob

Replies

• SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    fivestarsw wrote: »
    I've been 170 pounds, give or take a pound or two, for 10 years. I want to be at 165 lbs and stay that way eating what I've been eating for the past 10 years.

Can I go on a strict smoothie diet or some nutrisystem type of diet to lose 5 pounds and then just go back to regular eating to stay at 165?
    I need a solid way to lose 5 pounds and then go back to my normal eating lifestyle since I've already been successful at maintaining a regular weight.

Thanks
    Rob

Rob - you'll have to eat at deficit. Please, forget Nutri-System and just do your regular normal eating lifestyle (at lower calories). In other words - eat the same stuff you always do, but less of it to reach your goal weight. As you lose, a lot of the loss is glycogen and water, so you will have to go below 165 by possibly around 5 pounds for it to settle in at 165 once you go back to maintenance eating. To stay at 165, you can still eat your normal eating lifestyle, but will have to at a bit lower calories than you were at maintaining 170 (probably about 60 - 90 calories less with my WAG). Tons of calculators available on line for you to help figure that out for yourself. MFP calculators included.

Or, here's another one I like to use: http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html

However, to get there - you need to eat at a deficit (CICO). Set your goal of dropping whatever it is - 1/4 pound per week, 1/2 pound per week, or maybe as much as losing a pound a week until you hit your goal - well, actually below your goal to account for the glycogen/water that will increase your weight once you switch back to maintenance eating.

• Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Your calorie balance is to maintain 170 lbs. If you lose 5 lbs with any diet and go back to eating/burning the calories to maintain 170 lbs then you're going to go back up to 170 lbs.

Once you hit your goal you're still going to have to eat a little less and/or move a little more than you have been for the last 10 years in order to achieve an energy balance that maintains 165 lbs.

You could set up your MFP goals to maintain but put your goal weight as your current weight if you want. Weight loss will be slower than more drastic measures but it's only 5 lbs and you'll know what life maintaining at 165 will be like from the get go.
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Ditto what everyone above has said.
    Just getting out of bed, walking across the room, climbing stairs, or any kind of movement like that will burn fewer calories when you weigh 165. That's why MFP recommends re-evaluating your calorie intake to a slightly lower number as you lose.
    Won't take much of a reduction from your current intake to maintain at 165.
    I've been maintaining since 2011.
    Best wishes to you in your endeavor.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    If you lose weight you will need to eat fewer calories to maintain that new weight. With just 5 lbs the difference will be small.
    You can eat the same food as you have for 10 years to lose 5 lbs and maintain the new weight but you have to change portion sizes.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    For just 5lbs I'd either ramp up my cycling or decrease some "fun calories" such as booze (or a bit of both) for a while rather than go through needless deprivation eating meal replacements.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Personally, for a mere five pounds I would just eat normally and either knock off a couple hundred calories per day or increase my activity a little...

I'm going to be dropping about 10 Lbs that I put on over the last six months while injured...maybe 15...all I'm doing is reducing my beer consumption during the week and now that I'm healed up, I can get back into the weight room full time and start knocking out the miles on my bike again...EZPZ

I like that! EZPZ.
  • fivestarsw
    fivestarsw Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    @queenliz99 , @sijomial : So if you exercise much more to burn more calories to lower the weight to your desired weight, then go back to my normal lifestyle that I've had for past 10 years at my current weight, it'll stay at the lower weight from now on? They is awesome :smiley:!

I wasn't sure if my body is going to automatically adjust my metabolism and try to go back to what it was used to instead of keeping the weight off. Obviously, I am not going to try to eat more calories to make up for it but try to continue to be mindful of what I eat.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    What is the "normal lifestyle" that you are so eager to preserve, and why do you think that would be markedly different than 5 lbs lighter?

Do you exercise?
    What is your typical diet like?

In general, people who approach weight loss as a short term means to an end, then plan to go back to old ways (same quantity of food, stop exercising, etc) usually gain the weight back, and sometimes more.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    You need to be in enough of a caloric deficit to lose weight, lose those 5 pounds, then eat at maintenance calories for your new weight.

Maintaining at 5 pounds less than before will require slightly fewer calories eaten per day or slightly more calories burned.

If you go back to what you were eating before exactly and same activity level you will eventually gain back the 5 pounds.

If you go on a smoothie diet you're likely to just lose muscle not fat. Try just eating normally but just slightly less.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    Well you'll burn less at 165 than at 170, so to maintain you'd either have to eat less or exercise more if you intend to eat the same. If you ate the same as you did at 170lbs, you'll get back up to 170lbs.
    A lower weight automatically reduces your metabolic rate.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • jmp463
    jmp463 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Are you kidding??? No way this post can be real. So -- you have maintained a good weight for 10 YEARS -- by eating what you want it sounds - but you want to give up all food to lose 5 POUNDS???? And what exactly will this extra 5 lb loss do for you??? Unless you are under 3' tall no one will notice - you wont even notice other than seeing a number on a scale. No way this is real. But if it is - then I am sorry for my doubting you - and I would just say - since you have done great for 10 years - do what you think is best - your judgement cant be that bad with regard to weight.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    If you go back to doing exactly what you do now, you'll go back to the weight you are now. That's how it works.

To maintain a 5lb loss, you'll have to eat slightly fewer calories than you do now or exercise a little more (or a bit of both). The difference for 5lbs will not be huge, but you do need to be cognizant.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    jmp463 wrote: »
    Are you kidding??? No way this post can be real. So -- you have maintained a good weight for 10 YEARS -- by eating what you want it sounds - but you want to give up all food to lose 5 POUNDS???? And what exactly will this extra 5 lb loss do for you??? Unless you are under 3' tall no one will notice - you wont even notice other than seeing a number on a scale. No way this is real. But if it is - then I am sorry for my doubting you - and I would just say - since you have done great for 10 years - do what you think is best - your judgement cant be that bad with regard to weight.

It's very real - in terms of potential performance improvement - in the competitive field of running and cycling (power to weight ratio). It doesn't matter if it is amateur or professional competition. The mere change of 5 pounds can improve one's performance.

Not saying that is the OP's goal, just saw the OP's picture with a bike and figured as much that was the reason to cut a bit in search of an ideal race weight.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    fivestarsw wrote: »
    @queenliz99 , @sijomial : So if you exercise much more to burn more calories to lower the weight to your desired weight, then go back to my normal lifestyle that I've had for past 10 years at my current weight, it'll stay at the lower weight from now on? They is awesome :smiley:!

I wasn't sure if my body is going to automatically adjust my metabolism and try to go back to what it was used to instead of keeping the weight off. Obviously, I am not going to try to eat more calories to make up for it but try to continue to be mindful of what I eat.

5lbs difference in bodyweight is going to make a tiny difference to your maintenance calories.
    Unless you have a ludicrously accurate way to track calories in and out it's insignificant compared to varying activity, exercise and food levels.
    Methinks you are over-thinking this massively!

I maintained 30lbs overweight for 20 years and now probably eat more than I did when I was a chubster - I also exercise an awful lot more than I used to. Nothing really stays the same: age, activity, job, lifestyle, food choices, exercise etc. etc.

You don't forget how to maintain weight just because you have a period of being in a deficit.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    5lbs isn't much to lose so you wont have to adjust your calorie intake down by very much nor do you have to do anything much different than what you have been doing as you've maintained your weight for years as it is... you could aim to lose 0.5lbs a week which means having 250 calorie deficit each day - a few changes here and there to your food intake will sort that - that could be as simple as cutting out one snack a day or reducing your portion sizes just a fraction. Or you could just do some workouts in the week to burn off the same amount of calories...