Looking for Substitutes for Sweets

Options
EternalSonataFan
EternalSonataFan Posts: 27 Member
I have an unrivaled sweet tooth (at least in my household), and I need suggestions for recipes that TASTE sweet, but don't use a ton of sugar. I need all the help I can get - cravings are nasty.

Please help~!

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I find that if you cut way back on sugary sweets they don't hold the same power, I know I don't crave them any more.

Anything I bake is always the full sugar version (I do sometimes cut sugar by 25% but that's as far as I take it) as I refuse to destroy perfectly good recipes. However I only eat baked goodies now and again so having them isn't a problem - its all about moderation in general.

Hoping you get some good feedback though to help you on your way.
  • jtintx
    jtintx Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    becky10rp wrote: »
    I don't know if this will help you - but I freeze grapes (red or green - doesn't matter) - and eat them as a snack after dinner. You get the sweetness - but not the guilt - as you're eating fruit.

Why do you freeze them?
  • NeuronsNeuronsNeurons
    Options
    On the whole I agree that the more sugar and refined carbs that are in your diet, the more you will crave them. But I also believe that if you totally deny yourself any indulgence that you will fail in the long run and not be able to maintain weight loss (it's best to train yourself to eat sweets in appropriate amounts in a controlled and mindful manner). With that said, if you're going to eat or drink sweet things know that things taste sweeter when warm rather than cold. For whatever reason adding freshly ground nutmeg to recipes makes them taste MUCH sweeter to me. Lastly, rather than baking with tons of sugar in something try sprinkling some on the top, because the sugar is the first thing to hit your mouth I use way less and get the same sensation as it containing a lot of sugar. I bake small thin sugar cookies for special treats and freeze them in a ziplock baggie, I can eat 4 for a total of 99 calories. They don't have a lot of sugar in them but I brushed them with butter and sprinkled sugar on top. In order to eat them I have to take them from the freezer and allow them to come to room temperature, the act of doing so creates a mindful eating habit. If they were within arms reach and easily accessible in a cookie jar on the counter I would burn through them. Alternately, wrapping them in 100 cal servings also seems to work for me psychologically in setting a "unit" measure in my mind--the snack has a delineated and visual beginning and end and as an added bonus is really easy to log!
  • marlysgirl
    marlysgirl Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    diet crème soda, cherry tomatoes, dark chocolate, high protein hot chocolate, vanilla lotion and candles... sometimes the smell is enough
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    There's a bunch of artificial sweeteners, take your pick.
  • 2b1fitmom67
    2b1fitmom67 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    http://cleanfoodcrush.com/chocolate-pb-muffins/ give this recipe a try, very yummy!
  • mandadavs
    mandadavs Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yea.. there are so many artificial sweeteners there, you could just choose one form them.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    I use overripe bananas when baking or making a mug cake. It's sugar in another form, but gives some potassium. When you have a craving try eating a small portion of nuts--sometimes that's do it, or chew a piece of sugarless gum.
  • jennice23
    jennice23 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I would recommend a grapefruit. Not the red one. If eaten at night after a good workout it's will burn some fat off. But u must get a big one. Cut it in half. And use a grapefruit spoon to eat it so u don't eat the skin where it's bitter.
  • BiomedDent
    BiomedDent Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    eaqp7l7f5z1q.jpg

Zero carb, zero sugar, low cal, high protein gummy bears are my go to.
    I have attached a pic (I made only raspberry ones as that's all I had in) They're super easy to make:

The recipe is assuming you're UK based. If in the US the proportions may differ as we have different jelly/jello.

Ingredients:
    1x sachet of sugar free jelly any flavour-I used hartley's raspberry sugar free jelly as I had it already.
    2x sachets of Dr Oetker gelatine powder (2x 12g sachets)
    125ml boiling water

Put boiling water in a mug, add the gelatine and jelly and stir like crazy until it's all dissolved and pippet into gummy bear moulds and place in the freezer for 20mins. Then pop them out of the mould and eat. Or put in a zippy bag and keep in the fridge/freezer.

I haven't tried keeping them out of the fridge/freezer. Other people have said they're fine and go a bit softer which they like. I personally like them hard
  • BiomedDent
    Options
    Also all the Atkins chocolate bars are low carb and low sugar, high protein, high fibre. The chocolate mint and the milk crisp choc are amazing. Not particularly low cal though. Approx 220kcal/bar
  • BiomedDent
    Options
    It won't let me add in the link for the gummy bear moulds but a pack of 3 with the pipettes are on amazon prime for £7.99
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Mio and Crystal lite water enhancers.

Vanilla flavoured Stevia drops.

Sugar free jell-o.
  • AvaWander
    AvaWander Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If you can wean yourself off foods high in sugar and refined carbohydrates your cravings will decrease by 90%. That's my experience anyway but heard the same from a lot of others too. Fresh or frozen fruit are a healthy alternative. Try freezing some grapes or get frozen bing cherries. You can also find a tasty protein shake that taste almost like a treat, add fruit or rum :D that ought to help.
  • TaorminaCK
    TaorminaCK Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Marks and Spencers Butterscotch drops or the Rhubarb and Custard drops they are sweets and amazing but only 7 cals a sweet.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Dessert-
    I like fresh berries topped with Reddi-Whip (can of whipped cream). The berries are a little sweet themselves, and adding 2 tablespoons of cream doesn't add many calories or a ton of sugar.

Chocolate chip clouds:
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/black-and-white-chocolate-chip-clouds/

Chewing a piece of gum or bubblegum might be a good option. You have the sweet sensation going for a long time, and it's fun to blow giant bubbles.

Snack -
    High fiber English muffin (or toast or crackers) topped with a little cream cheese + a little jam.

Breakfast -
    I'm not really a pumpkin fan, but these were pretty tasty and a little sweet from the maple and pumpkin. I froze some and re-heated them in the toaster:
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/whole-wheat-pumpkin-pecan-pancakes/

http://www.skinnytaste.com/chewy-chocolate-chip-oatmeal-breakfast/

Lunch/Dinner-
    Roast Brussels sprouts with a maple glaze or balsamic vinegar. Toss in toasted walnuts and dried cranberries to when they come out of the oven.

Lower calorie General Tso's:
    http://damndelicious.net/2014/05/23/lighter-general-tsos-chicken/
  • Domomallow
    Domomallow Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I've replaced sugar with Sweetleaf Stevia in my hot tea and coffee. It takes a little getting used to.. but at least it's natural. I don't like the idea of lacing my drinks with chemicals to make them taste sweet.
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    jennice23 wrote: »
    I would recommend a grapefruit. Not the red one. If eaten at night after a good workout it's will burn some fat off. But u must get a big one. Cut it in half. And use a grapefruit spoon to eat it so u don't eat the skin where it's bitter.

How does grapefruit eaten at nighttime after a good workout burn some fat off? Is it the good workout or the grapefruit that burns the fat off?