Basic strength training over 50

Options
I am 54, peri-menopausal with about 20 pounds to lose. Got off track on the exercise routine in 2016 with two separate surgeries. I admit I have always been better about cardio than strength training but I need to re-commit. I have a FitDesk bike at my office and very basic weights and resistance bands, etc at home as well as a vintage flywheel Schwin exercise bike. I also belong to a gym but renovations there and the surgery has allowed me to get out of the routine. I also travel for work A LOT but almost always to places where I have access to at least basic exercise equipment.

My fitness tracker reflects 10-12k steps in an average weekkday without any "exercise". We usually do one, sometimes two 5-7 miles walks/hikes over the weekend.

Cardio is easy for me to add back but what I would like are recommendations for a starter strength training routine, something that I could potentially do at the gym, at home or on the road.
Appreciate any advice or suggestions...

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I like exercise videos. It's typically DVDs for me - Kelly Coffey Meyer is my favorite: http://www.collagevideo.com/collections/kelly-coffey-meyer

YouTube is popular - check out a site called Fitness Blender. Bands and on-line workouts are great for travel.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Im 52 and same thing here. No surgeries though. Get yourself some dumbbells, 5, 10 and 15 lbs for now.
    You can do all sorts of stuff with those. biceps, shoulders, back, legs. Also, add in pushups and sit-ups. Lots of walking as you already do. AND...learn how to do burpees. You can go on line and look up exercises using the things I mentioned.
    Good luck.
    Eat right too. That's the biggest component.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    "You are your own Gym"

The app was $4.99 on ipad for me.

You could also consider a TRX or one of the knockoffs like the WOSS, which I understand is very decent.

I use both the above by the way, 57.

edit: I'm thinking primarily of your time traveling here.
  • risottogirl
    risottogirl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Looking into all suggestions. I have bands and I used to take them with me... need to start that again. had to look up burpees :)
  • ALLENFLO
    ALLENFLO Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I suggest the strong lifts program. Compound weight lifting that works many muscles per exercise. On top of all of the gains you will make, you will also get the benefit of being a bad *kitten* for doing those lifts. Good luck
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    If you travel via car, consider Kettlebells.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Lots of people on MFP have specific lifting programs they like. Strong lifts, 5x5, etc. Personally, I've always used Bill Phillips Body for Life lifting method. It has worked well for me in the past and I'm doing it again at 46. I don't do his eating program (I can't stand it), but the lifting is easy to remember (for me), progressive, and works. If I can ever figure out strong lifts I may give it a try b/c I like the idea of compound lifting vs. isolated muscle groups (if for nothing else but the time differential).
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    no equipment necessary: https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/kb/recommended_routine can be done in a hotel room.
  • truelight_photo_craig
    Options
    I like to use my resistance bands as part of a HIIT circuit. Side lat raises, curls, standing rows, and triceps extensions, together with 4 core exercises. 45 seconds work, 10 seconds rest/moving to the next exercise. I do 5-6 sets. Sometimes I do that same HIIT circuit, then do 10-15 minutes on the treadmill, and repeat 3-4 times.