Will this weight loss strategy work?

Options
2»

Replies

• fivestarsw
    fivestarsw Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    @SingingSingleTracker, @jmp463 : Yes, 5 lbs isn't much but it's a lot when cycling and I've spent thousands of dollars for lighter carbon wheels and even upgraded to a lighter carbon bike frame to go faster. But the cheapest and biggest improvement is to reduce my own freaking weight and belly fat!!

Yes, believe it or not, I eat pretty much what I want (as a habit I already eat fairly healthy: whatever my wife cooks) and pig out on weekend buffets.

I'm just trying to break out of this constant weight and go down to another constant weight.

Thank you for all feedback and advice!

I will try what was suggested... Cut down on portions and increase exercise. It sounds like I will need to keep up that new habit, not pig out as much, in order to stay at the new weight...

I was hoping to just drop the weight as a SPURT then it'll stay that way without changing my habits.

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    As an avid cyclist I can't imagine that considering an extremely restrictive, low cal diet like all smoothies or Nutrisystem would be aligned with your exercise routine...
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if you cut back just a little you will be good. Less pigging out, more mindful eating.
  • fivestarsw
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    What is the "normal lifestyle" that you are so eager to preserve, and why do you think that would be markedly different than 5 lbs lighter?

Do you exercise?
    What is your typical diet like?

I have a sedentary occupation but do exercise regularly and eat healthy on a regular basis which is probably why I can pig out on weekends and still get away with it. My ratio of exercise and calorie intake is why I've kept the weight.

I was just thinking how to reach my ideal BMI, cut down some weight and reduce changes to my current eating/exercise patterns...

There's no "quick fix". It sounds like a slight change to eating portions and volume of exercise "from now on" is the surest way to sustaining a new lower weight...

• courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Skip the weekend buffets and I bet you'll drop those 5 pounds. No need for extreme measures.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    fivestarsw wrote: »
    @SingingSingleTracker, @jmp463 : Yes, 5 lbs isn't much but it's a lot when cycling and I've spent thousands of dollars for lighter carbon wheels and even upgraded to a lighter carbon bike frame to go faster. But the cheapest and biggest improvement is to reduce my own freaking weight and belly fat!!

Yes, believe it or not, I eat pretty much what I want (as a habit I already eat fairly healthy: whatever my wife cooks) and pig out on weekend buffets.

I'm just trying to break out of this constant weight and go down to another constant weight.

Thank you for all feedback and advice!

I will try what was suggested... Cut down on portions and increase exercise. It sounds like I will need to keep up that new habit, not pig out as much, in order to stay at the new weight...

I was hoping to just drop the weight as a SPURT then it'll stay that way without changing my habits.

Well, you still have to manage what goes in, and how much is burned (just like a financial budget, retirement plan, investment plan, how much gas you can put in the car's tank, etc...). Have you read Matt Fitzgerald's book Racing Weight? It's a great book that helps you zero in your ideal weight range for your on the bike best performance.

After I read it, I cut from 180 (where I had raced for quite some time) down to 165. When I did my first race at 165, I couldn't believe how easy it was to go up the climbs compared to before. Anyway, if you've got 5 pounds to shed in the abdominal area - I highly recommend it. You will notice it on the bike.

I've found that I need 2348 calories a day to maintain my weight at 170. I only need 2295 at 165. Not a big difference, but it is what it is.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, you'll have to cut below 165 so after you are done cutting, the bounce back from the water loss and glycogen stores after eating at a deficit will bounce you higher once you start eating at your new maintenance. I'm in "cut time" right now as it is off season. Usually, when I hit 165 in March or April every season, and I switch to maintenance - I spring right up to 167-168. This year I'm shooting to go a bit below 165 to account for that bounce back hoping that I have learned something from the prior few seasons.

All the best.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    fivestarsw wrote: »
    @SingingSingleTracker, @jmp463 :

^^^ That is the magic everyone wants... 5 pounds or 100 pounds.... but we have to do the work.
    Good luck! You know how, when you want it enough those last pesky ones will be gone.
    You probably have a lot of muscle too, so only you know what you really have to "lose"
  • fivestarsw
    Options
    For the past 4 days, I've achieved my goal of being UNDER my weight goal!

I took the advice in this post and stick with it.
    It's not a huge goal but for me, it seemed like a tough one when you don't have a set plan.

It's when I started tracking calories with this app that I tried to portion my meals more. I still ate or splurged one day on the weekend.

I also switched to a breakfast protein drink smoothie. My other meals remained the same.

Another thing I changed is regularly did BJ Gaddour's Metashred programs. Not only 3 days a week , but my off days I mixed in other 30 minute hiit cardios. I haven't even been cycling much due to cold weather.

I feel stronger, more fit, and so glad to finally have a good way to lose weight without changing my diet much!