i'm normally not the one to judge...

Options
jujubean1992
jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
but i saw something that made me sad today... while walking through wal-mart i saw an over weight couple with a very plump little boy (no more than a year old i'd say) their cart was full of junk food and they were feeding the baby candy and he was screaming for more, the baby couldn't even talk yet! how is a little body supposed to develop on junk? i'm not saying they need to feed they're son pure organic food for him to be healthy or anything like that. my son is 18 months old and he's allowed to have sweets... in moderation, a marshmallow, four or five m &m's, a pop cycle, a couple bites of cake. but this baby was eating one after the other! just something i had noticed that bothered me... not to judge, to each their own, i just wouldn't give my son candy like they were.

Replies

• jmatthews75
    jmatthews75 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    its a shame. A child destined for failure because his lazy parents can't learn some self control. One more reason you should have to pass a test to have a child.
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Yep so sad. Child obesity is so terrible because of BAD PARENTING! Can't blame the kids when it's the parents giving them the crap!! Parents need to start being held accountable for their children's nutrition. Ugh, this REALLY gets my blood boiling.. it's just so unfair to the child.
  • Andythefitfamilyman
    Options
    its a shame. A child destined for failure because his lazy parents can't learn some self control. One more reason you should have to pass a test to have a child.

I agree, but to be honest I used to be that parent, give people a chance to change. I did. But I would have thought the same as the op sad indeed
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options

You said it!!! You need a license to fish or drive a car, but any one can have a child.. it's a shame!
  • jujubean1992
    Options
    it's just, even when i didn't eat the best, my son still ate very healthy, now we eat the same stuff. :smile:
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    :cry:
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    poor child doesnt stand a chance
  • GreenSkinnyJeans
    GreenSkinnyJeans Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Should be considered child abuse : /.
  • Songbird146
    Songbird146 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    That's like the whole using food as a bribe for a child to behave how a parent wants them to. Treats should never be used like that. I agree that not just the child obesity epidemic but a lot of other child related issues as well would be far improved upon if parents to be were required to take classes on parenting and all related topics prior to having a kid.
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    you have a good right to judge!
    when iw as little my mum did a similar thing with me.
    and even tho i was smart anoth to know not to eat all this crap, i still have a strained relationship towards food because of it..
    like il always resort to junk food when i skim the fridge and theres nothing in, etc..
    and i have to say i resent my mum a little for it... well a lot. it wasnt fair that when she had control over what i ate she made me eat the same as her..
    not only that but she use to make me adult size portions and go mad if i couldnt finish my whole plate... portions that i would struggle to eat now.. another reason y i dont have a good relationship with food...
    perants should realise what there doing to there kids!! And how it will effect them for the rest of their lives. =[
    Its just not right!
    =[
  • Andythefitfamilyman
    Options
    I'm just wondering if most people would still have judged if it was a normal weight couple and a normal weight kid but everything else was the same.
  • beccau_20
    beccau_20 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I'm just wondering if most people would still have judged if it was a normal weight couple and a normal weight kid but everything else was the same.

Good point. Or even have noticed.
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options

Good point. Or even have noticed.

I dont think we would realise...
    but then if we knew them.. and we were round there house and we saw it happening we'd be a bit like, should ur child be eating all of that..?
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    i see this everyday in my ER
  • jujubean1992
    Options

YES! i see a chlid younger than my 18 month old having his faced stuffed with candy i'm still going to be offended a little it's just more so because it was obvious that it was the norm to them.
  • kanonxbou47
    kanonxbou47 Posts: 265 Member
    Options

^that
  • jujubean1992
    Options
    i see this everyday in my ER

horrible! the closest thing my son gets to candy on a regular basis is fruit snacks, real juice fruit snacks.
  • margo36
    margo36 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    That child will be joining us in 20 yrs time
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options

would have probably still raised an eyebrow, but not as much, as id be more likely to assume it was occasional rather than regular if they didnt have a massive weight problem.

We look at whats going on around us and clues in our environment, and we ALL make judgements based on what we see.
    If we see an obese couple with an obese child eating lots and lots of sweets, then unless you dont know how to add two and two, then youre going to think they eat too much crap and they feed their kid too much crap.
    If you see a normal weight couple with a normal weight child eating a few sweets, you probably wouldnt even notice, or youd just assume it was an occasional treat. Depending on what it was though, id still judge. No matter the weight of the parents, if i see parents giving their children coke, i really hate it

Obesity is just the outward physical symptom of the damage you do to your body by consistent overeating. If someone is that big on the outside, then you can be quite sure their arteries are hardened, their heart is not healthy, their liver is fatty. Its a crying shame for people to inflict that on their children, even if they have made the informed choice to be obese for themselves as adults.
    Its not hard and You dont have to be a food nazi to give your kids a balanced diet with sensible child sized portions
  • dayglo4
    dayglo4 Posts: 18
    Options
    That child will be joining us in 20 yrs time

so true