Food Swaps to Lower Calories

Options
Just wanting to get some ideas on easy food swaps/substitutes for either lowering calories, or just making them more nutritionally sound. We're trying to eat a bit healthier, so I'm just looking to get ideas on cutting calories while still feeling satisfied and full.

All I can think of right now is things like spaghetti squash to replace pasta, cutting back on oils, and breads, and things like that, :)

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    No one else can tell you, since no one knows how you eat.

What I'd recommend is logging for a bit (or logging a past few days if in a hurry) and look it over to see what you are spending a lot of calories on. In many cases it may be obvious how to reduce them, but if there are some things you think you might want a substitution for we might have ideas.

I didn't end up substituting really, I just found I was eating stuff where I could cut back on things like fat, pasta portion, or bulk up with more vegetables. I also found mostly my meals were fine and I needed to avoid mindless snacking.

I build meals around protein and vegetables and consider the rest extras to fill out calories and taste, although I certain end up with a wide variety of other foods included.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    I am horrible at consistently logging... but as a background, If cooking at home, I eat a lot of quick to cook dinners. Like tuna and pasta, spaghetti, or just steak and veggies/ and or rice. Just general family cooking I suppose? If going out, it's cheeseburgers, Chinese or Mexican food. I guess I was just looking for things you could reduce/ or replace in generic cooking meals like dinner. I know a few such as reducing the amount of oil/ fats you use, replacing potatoes or rice with cauliflower... Just wanting to get an idea of what modifications people make to classic dinner recipes to make them a bit healthier or lower in calories. Hope that helps...
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I often use ground turkey instead of ground beef for burgers, pasta, chili. Ground chicken burgers are tasty, too.
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    best way I found to cut calories/replace foods is to shop from the outsides of the grocery store. basically, buy raw meats and fresh vegetables - frozen veggies work and any beans are great too.
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I rarely ever use oil when cooking anymore. I prefer cooking spray. Yes it still has calories but you use a lot less spray than oil. When making steaks at home, go for the leaner cuts. Rib eyes and New York strips are amazing but they have a lot of fat in them. I usually go for tri tip steaks, less fat so less calories. I often sub ground chicken for ground beef but make sure you're getting the reduced fat chicken.

In general just compare the nutrition info on things. Ask yourself would you rather have 4oz of X for 380 calories, or 4oz of Y for 220 calories?
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash is life (I love the sweetness). Spiralized zucchini and carrots also make pretty good pasta alternatives. I also really like cauliflower "rice" (it's easier on my blood sugar, and I can eat a lot more than if I had plain rice). If I don't have the calories for ranch dressing or really need to up my protein, I like mixing ranch-flavored popcorn seasoning (or dry ranch seasoning) into some Greek yogurt.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I am horrible at consistently logging... but as a background, If cooking at home, I eat a lot of quick to cook dinners. Like tuna and pasta, spaghetti, or just steak and veggies/ and or rice. Just general family cooking I suppose? If going out, it's cheeseburgers, Chinese or Mexican food. I guess I was just looking for things you could reduce/ or replace in generic cooking meals like dinner. I know a few such as reducing the amount of oil/ fats you use, replacing potatoes or rice with cauliflower... Just wanting to get an idea of what modifications people make to classic dinner recipes to make them a bit healthier or lower in calories. Hope that helps...

People have very different ideas about what a classic or generic dinner is, I think.

For me it's something like pasta (tip here, stick to the serving size and bulk out with the other ingredients) with a meat sauce (lean ground beef is low cal, I add a lot of vegetables like zucchini and peppers and spinach, as well as some onions and the tomatoes, you don't really need any fat other than a tiny bit for sauteeing). Or, more often, because faster, I make toppings for the pasta with lean meat (often fish or shrimp, but also chicken) sauteed with vegetables (whatever is on hand) in a little olive oil.

Sauteed meat and veg with rice = stirfry, again control calories with how much rice you eat, how much fat you add, choose leaner meat, lots of veg to bulk.

Other common dinners -- prepare fish, pork chops, steak, chicken (I like breast with skin and bones or to roast a whole one, but obviously that adds a few calories), prepare starchy side (just not too much -- I roast potatoes and sweet potatoes with just a little oil a lot), prepare vegetables and make them about half the plate.

I might make a sauce like with apples and onions and sauerkraut for the pork or something like that.

Stews are another option.

All of this is reasonably low cal, which is why I say it's helpful to log for a while and see where the extra calories are coming from. You might be eating high fat (so higher cal) meat choices or larger servings of starch sides than you realize or using more oil or added cheese or some such than you need, or if you do fat/cream based sauces, that's a source of calories.

Sure you can save some calories by using cauliflower or winter squash or root veg (other than potatoes) in place of a starchy side, but often that's not needed, you can be careful with portions. Fish, potatoes, and green beans plus some cauliflower is going to be reasonably low cal unless you add a bunch of extras or eat a whole lot.

I found figuring out where I got the extra calories helped me eliminate many of them without really feeling like my diet changed that much (I ate a reasonably nutritious diet, though).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I don't really sub or swap...

If I want pasta, no amount of spaghetti squash is going to cut it...not that I don't like spaghetti squash...I do...but it's it's own thing.

Don't get me started on cauliflower substitutions...I enjoy cauliflower, but not as a pizza crust or replacement for potatoes.

I definitely cook with oil...just not the copious amounts that I used to. Dietary fat is a very essential part of a nutritious diet and I get a good bit of my healthy fats from cooking oils as I saute or roast most of my veg.

I personally tend towards a diet that is high in plant foods...that's not just veg and fruit, but also things like lentils, legumes, rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, etc. My protein is largely lean sourced and comes primarily from eggs and egg whites, low fat dairy and we also ea fish (mostly salmon and cod) a few times per week and some chicken...we eat beef on occasion namely because I prefer fattier cuts so I'd just rather splurge on that once in awhile over having tasteless lean beef more regularly...lean ground beef would be the exception.

At any rate, you have to come up with what's best for you.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I often use ground turkey instead of ground beef for burgers, pasta, chili. Ground chicken burgers are tasty, too.

What % of fat is your ground turkey? For the same fat content, there's really no difference between ground turkey and ground beef. 85/15 is 85/15...93/7 is 93/7 regardless of the animal...
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I swapped ranch dressing for bolthouse greek yogurt dressing - 45 cal 2 tbls.
    I use flat out pizza crust - 120 calories
    Low carb flour tortilla - 80 calories

I think those were my biggest lower calorie swap outs for my go to foods.

Is this what you are asking?
  • Skimo60
    Skimo60 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am a snack master. I love them, more than sitting down for dinner. I live alone now, so I really don't like to sit at my kitchen table. WHEN I was doing well at losing, I ate smoked almonds, just mixed it up a bit with the flavor choices. Rice cakes, Old Wisconsin Turkey Bites (that I also treat me dog with :) Boiled eggs or a couple slices of bacon. I can do protein pretty well. I have a wicked sweet tooth, so Italian Ice and Fruit Outburst (?) I fell off the wagon hard and am slowly trying to crawl back on.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    There are a lot of easy swaps. I will use unsweetened apple sauce in place of oil in some baking. Avocado in place of mayo (either just slices on a sandwich or if making tuna salad do avo abf maybe just a tsp or so of mayo). I use whole grain anything in place of white ave 9/10 it works perfect. I switched to non dairy milk because it was lower calorie and had less sugars, and lo and behold my body doesn't handle lactose very well, so that was a positive discovery. Greek yogurt is a good sub for sour cream as a dip or topping, not as good for cooking with though.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I use several low calorie options but I don't know if OP would consider them 'healthier' (which is such a subjective term that makes my eye twitch a bit :p ). But these substitutes really help me hit my calorie targets and since I'm in excellent health and several years into successful maintenance they must not be killing me yet :D

-I now drink diet soda instead of regular coke (huge calorie saver!)
    -low calorie ranch and Italian dressings instead of regular (the Italian dressing I now use only has 15 calories per 2tbsp!)
    -'skinny' multi-grain bread instead of bagels-two pieces (comes together like a bagel) is 100 calories and I use this toasted or for sandwiches
    -light cheese spread (comes in packaged triangles)-25 calorie per triangle and I use this instead of regular cream cheese
    -light canned soups instead of regular (love Progresso Light ones)
    -100 calorie Greek yogurt instead of higher calorie ones
    -Lean Cuisine, Chilis and Boston Market frozen entrees instead of things like Hamburger Helper, Hot Pockets and 900 calorie pot pies that I used to eat for lunches

And I eat out quite a bit and now chose lower calorie options most times/split portions. One example-I go to Subway every week and have changed my order to a foot long oven roasted chicken sub on the 9 grain bread with cheese, lots of veggies and light mayo. This comes in at around 850 calories vs the over 1,000 calories that made up my old order with different bread, meat and condiments. And I no longer get a bag of chips to go with my sub, which I used to-150ish calories saved right there!

And then I still eat a lot of regular things but I'm careful to measure out correct portion sizes-rice, oats, dried fruit, nuts, cookies, chips, pastries, ice cream/other desserts etc.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    This gives me some inspiration . Thanks guys!
  • ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Fage greek yogurt instead of sour cream.
    Wraps instead of sandwiches. (Most tortillas are 100-120 kcals, bread for two slices is almost always around 200.)
    I really like the Smartbalance mayo instead of the full fat mayo.
    Halotop icecream! Most flavors are pretty good.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Fage greek yogurt instead of sour cream.
    Wraps instead of sandwiches. (Most tortillas are 100-120 kcals, bread for two slices is almost always around 200.)
    I really like the Smartbalance mayo instead of the full fat mayo.
    Halotop icecream! Most flavors are pretty good.

There's actually quite a few low calorie breads out there-some starting at 45 calories a slice. I use this for sandwiches and also instead of bagels (you get two slices for 100 calories)
    https://www.brownberry.com/products?category=31
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of substitutions. I prefer eating smaller or fewer portions of the foods I like.

This ^ .......mostly

Squash (or other stringy veggies) are not a substitute for pasta (for me). So it's far better to learn proper portions instead. I won't eliminate bread, but I do choose lighter varieties.

There are lots of substitutions but whether they can really go the distance (lifestyle change) is up to you.
  • NeuronsNeuronsNeurons
    Options
    apple sauce subs for oil at a 1:1 ratio in baking
    Putting spices on everything makes everything good without the fat
    Bethany Frankel aka "skinny girl" has launched an empire out of swaps and subs in recipes. Just watch any of her youtube videos.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I didn't do much swapping either. Low cal french dressing for my salads. And no sugar added pudding cups. Think that was it.

I did start changing a few things. When making homemade pizza, I make it thin crust now. Cuts calories about 100 a piece. We already ate lean cuts of meat. But I did bulk up a lot of our regular (protein, starch, veggie) meals with more veggies. I also added some egg whites to my scrambled eggs in the morning to bulk it up for only a little extra calories.