Zertec and weight gain

Options
I have been trying really hard to lose weight. I have been walking a lot and watching what I eat. The pounds are coming off slower that I expected.

So, I started thinking about what I was putting in to my body besides food. I am using Zyrtec fro allergies. I decided to research it to see if it made it harder to lose weight if your on it . I was surprised to see that it does affect your weight.

It is an anti histamine. The histime helps control appetite, When you use an anti histime , you get hungrier, because your not getting any histime.

Has any body else noticed that it seems harder to lose weight when your on certain allergy meds with anti histimes in them?

Replies

• newman84
    newman84 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    i've been on it for a few years now and i have put on and lost weight on it.
    remember the healthiest way to loose weight is slow and steady.
  • slenderwoman
    slenderwoman Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've been taking Zyrtec now for about eleven years. Not only have I gained weight while taking it, but I've also lost weight too. My doctors don't seem to be too concerned that the weight gain that I did have was caused by the Zyrtec so much as it was my food and lifestyle choices back then. Hope this helps. :)
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I take Zyrtec as well, and can not see any appreciable gain from it.
  • nimbi
    nimbi Posts: 27
    Options
    If you're watching what you eat and exercising and the weight isn't coming off as expected it's not something that may or may not be controlling your appetite that's the problem. It doesn't make you gain it makes you want to eat more, so control that desire to eat more.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    i take zyrtec and zyrtec d alot never notice a diffrence, either way not going to stop. kinda like breathing
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I take Zyrtec and Allegra (basically what I can get cheap with coupons lol) and Ive lost 50lb being on here since.. Maybe I could have lost more if not on it, but I also take allergy shots and if I don't take my meds, Im in trouble lol.
  • 38Gigi38
    38Gigi38 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I take zyrtec as well. My weight loss has been very slow, with ups and downs. I also take other medications for my blood pressure that when I researched I found...one is a beta blocker which causes your metabolism to slow and one is a calcium channel blocker which causes weight gain...so I'm fighting harder to lose what I do, but I have been losing even if it is slower. To me that is better than gaining even if I am having to work harder. I do agree that things we take affect our ability to lose normally though.
  • gettinghealthy777
    Options
    Wow, i did not know that beta blockers can cause your metabolism to slow down and calcium channel blockers cause weight gain...Thanks for that information. Researching your meds is always a good thing.
  • 7SlotFever
    7SlotFever Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have been losing weight at a steady 2lbs a week since February.
    and began taking Benedryl for allergies at night before bed. Over the last two weeks my weight loss has come to a complete stand still with the last week a firm plateau.
    After doing some thinking about what I had changed, this was the ONLY thing. I am doing everything as well as I was in the past and have been especially contentious about my diet.
    I did some research this morning and found that not only does Benedryl slow your metabolism, so does Zyrtec.

I, for one, will figure out another way of dealing with my allergies or just tough it out. I've worked too flipping hard to have this kind of thing trip me up. It makes me feel angry and I was feeling discouraged by my lack of progress.
    I'm going to talk to my pharmacist and see what he can recommend first but by golly, I'm not going to lose this battle because of a stupid little pill.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I take high doses of Zyrtec every day and have for a very long time. I have not noticed any appreciable weight gain from the Zyrtec - my weight gain was due to poor dietary and exercise habits.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    i take zyrtec and zyrtec d alot never notice a diffrence, either way not going to stop. kinda like breathing

Yup. I will take the obstacle in losing weight over horrible quality of life due to allergis and sinus problems that result.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I take Zyrtec, and I haven't gained weight on it. But it also hasn't helped my allergies any.......
  • dleddy95
    dleddy95 Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi!
    I've always taken allergy medications for my seasonal allergies and just started to notice the effects of Zyrtec on my body. Before going on Zyrtec, I was roughly between 110-114 pounds on any given weigh in, which was normal for me. After I started taking it regularly from late March into early April, I saw my body was changing a bit though I hadn't changed the foods I ate or my exercise level. Now after a month and a half, I'm weighing in at 120-123 pounds which makes no sense to me! It's frustrating, but I'm sure the weight will come right off once I stop having to take it. Helps with my allergies, however! No doubt that what you searched up online is completely true.