Meal Planning

Options
Hello, I am a 23 year old college student who lives off campus. I will be away from home from 830am-11pm Most Mondays and Fridays unless a class gets out early. I want to avoid fast foods, and on campus foods. I work on campus and there for have access to a fridge and microwave to keep my foods cool and warm them up. I was wondering if anyone had any healthy meals I could make a few days ahead of time and not go bad because I won't have much time to cook except Sunday nights and possibly Thursday/Friday. I'm not a fan of read meats. Turkey and chicken are okay as well as fish-if there is a way to keep them fresh.

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    From the looks of it, you'll be prepping your meals on Sunday and freezing them. Just don't forget to take 2 to school with you each day. A 1 quart container can hold enough poultry, starch, and vegetables for a single meal.
    If you want glutinous bread, you might find it easier to make burritos, again with the poultry, starch, and vegetables you want for a meal. More variety takes more time, so plan carefully.
  • debbysatit
    debbysatit Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Pintrest has some skillet meals that you could whip up and divide into containers for meals. One pan sour cream enchilada chicken skillet, mongolian beef and ramen noodles and one pot chicken burrito bowls are a couple favorites. I do the chicken burrito bowls and use it with shredded lettuce and diced tomato. Also the salad in a jar would be a good option too. They hold up about a week in frig. The dollar store has those condiment containers with lid and I just measure out a weeks worth of dressing. Also measure out in small baggies tyson frozen diced chicken cubes. And cheese and bacon bits in a seperate bag. Makes a great chicken bacon ranch salad. You can do some crackers on the side or a roll. You grab the baggies and a salad jar and that could be lunch. I also love baked oatmeal. I have a recipe I make in a 9x9 pan. After it cools I slice it in portions and put on a wire rack in freezer. Once frozen I put in a tupperware container with wax paper between. Then you could take a portion out in am and a small container of mild to top it. Reheats in microwave beautifully. Crockpot meals that you could portion out would be a good help too..again pintrest...slow cooker asian glazed chicken, crockpot chicken and stuffing. Portion out. I also have made rice and noodles and frozen in portion bags to take out and reheat.
    Good luck! When you get going it can really help...my problem is sticking to it and doing it weekly.
  • Jules_farmgirl
    Jules_farmgirl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Cook up a chicken or pork roast (which ever you prefer or both) and then freeze in 3-4oz bags... this is what I use and add to my salads! Waaaay more cost effective than getting the pre portions protein packs at the grocery stores.