Breakfast? Do you eat it or skip it?

Options
I am a morning person. However, I am NOT a...get up and eat right away.....person. This means that I don't usually eat until after I leave for the office. I find breakfast hard. I find it hard because if I'm going to eat breakfast at my desk then it doesn't leave for a lot of options. Muffins are calorie-dense....most breakfast things are just flour and sugar crap foods. And I do NOT like those cold egg "muffins" that many people make.

Also, I am finding that if I skip breakfast I only have to be hungry for an hour or so before lunch AND it's much easier to meet my daily calorie deficit if I skip breakfast.

So, what do you do for breakfast? Or do you skip breakfast?

Replies

• RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    ugh, me either. Makes me nauseous if I eat right away. I eat a toast 'sandwich' (two pieces of toasted put together) with a tablespoon of PB, a tablespoon of Nutella, and a cup of coffee at my desk about 1/1.5 hours after I get up.
  • ProteinMilkshakeBar
    Options
    Definitely have brekky - sets your metabolism up for the day! Do a smoothie mixed with 1tsp of melted coconut oil. The combination of protein and fat will keep you full and it's easier to drink breakfast than eat since it's quick, portable and you don't need to chew (perfect when you're not hungry anyways)!
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I do 16:8IF most days and break my daily fast somewhere between 11am-noon.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I skip. I also do IF 16:8 (this means skipping breakfast). I did IF for years without realizing its a thing.

Come join us breakfast skippers...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/49-intermittent-fasting

Here's some good reading about its effects on your metabolism.... (tldr short fasts actually increase metabolism)

https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/fasting-a-history-part-i/

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I eat, sometimes I don't. Most of the time it's something "light" - Fibre 1 bar or Nutri-Grain bar.
  • buxomeblonde
    buxomeblonde Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have egg whites and kale with salsa when I get to work. 9:30 ish
  • SeagalDeeDee
    SeagalDeeDee Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Terrible at getting my breakfast in. It's sometimes noon before I actually eat a meal. I will drink a juice or coffee then I am out the door.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    No breakfast here, unless you count the breakfast food I make on weekends around 12:30PM after lounging around with coffee. I love weekends :)

But yes, another here for unintentional 16:8 IF. I'm not hungry until noon or 1, so I'm not going to make myself eat when I could save the calories for when I actually want to have them. Unless you have blood sugar issues or need to take morning medication with food, do what feels right!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    coffee, greek yoghurt and my daily allotment of cheese - i normally have that after i get to work each day
  • pacingoamy
    pacingoamy Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Eating breakfast keeps me from having those "OMG I haven't eaten in forever" moments of binge when I get sidetracked at work and lunch isn't until late. It also helps me (personally) from eating later because I am better spacing my food.

But like you, I wait until I get to work to eat (about 90 minutes or so after I wake up). I bring yogurt to work, eat a protein or granola bar, have a string cheese and some pretzels, etc. Don't get locked in to thinking it has to be breakfast food just because of the time of day. Do what works for you.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I rarely have eaten breakfast in my lifetime (because I never feel hungry at the time) but I've noticed when I skip breakfast by lunch time I'm ravenous but we're talking about a good 7 hours between waking and lunch for me with a workout thrown in as well.

Nowadays, I eat breakfast at my desk, but it's usually something light. Greek yogurt, granola bar, protein cereal, fruit, boiled eggs, turkey sausage, bagels, toast, oatmeal, etc.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I'm usually not a breakfast person. But I've found that when I eat a full breakfast (particularly one that's high in protein), I tend to snack less throughout the day which, in turn, makes it much easier for me to stay under or at my daily calorie goal.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I'm often hungry when I go to bed at night so I definately eat breakfast almost every day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I enjoy breakfast...I don't eat it first thing, I eat it at my desk when I get to work. I usually have an omelette that I can do really quick at home in the microwave and then just reheat at work smothered in green chile sauce and oatmeal with almonds or peanutbutter.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I eat a good, balanced breakfast during the mid-late morning during the week. During the weekend I sometimes go longer and have a bigger lunch or dinner.

I am not hungry when I wake up so I no longer force it.

Just water and unsweetened herbal tea until it's time to eat.