Heart Rate Monitor HELP?

Options
I am thinking of buying a HRM I have no idea where to start! I exercise about 3 times a week e.g Zumba, walking and swimming. I don't really trust the mfp exercise calories so i want something more accurate but not too pricey.
Any ideas and help would be appreciated :)
Thanks

P.s I am in the UK!

Replies

• ramius
    ramius Posts: 91
    Options
    I'm sure you'll get lots of responses but I have a polar Rs300x and love it.. its not super expensive .. but for more basic functionality I think a lot of people have the Polar F4 which is just under 100 -- the Rs300x can be found for right around 100 to a little over online -- Prices listed are in USD
  • mistyb47711
    mistyb47711 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    for myself the Polar was to much that I could spend at the time...so i went to Target and go the NewBalance N4.....works great im very happy with it. I could get the Polar now if I needed but Im happy with what I got....I paid $60
  • BJC78
    BJC78 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I bought the polar ft4 and I love it! Comes with chest strap. Calculates heart rate, calories burned, etc. I swim with mine also :) I got mine on sale for 69.99 reg 89.99. Amazon normally has them for 69.00!
  • MissJoy18
    MissJoy18 Posts: 45
    Options
    I also have a Polar FT4F and I love it! I only paid $58.89 on Amazon. Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Womens-Heart-Monitor-Bronze/dp/B001U0OFD2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310891090&sr=8-1
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I got a Polar F7 last week & used it yesterday for the first time. so easy to use, accurate & very interesting to see the results compared to the gym machines. It's more expensive than other models but not as pricey as others. If u are in the UK base.com sell it at a discount. I got mine at argos for 89.99
  • MoonShadow_1au
    MoonShadow_1au Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I also have a Polar FT4F and I love it! I only paid $58.89 on Amazon. Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Womens-Heart-Monitor-Bronze/dp/B001U0OFD2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310891090&sr=8-1

Dam, I paid $100 for my PT4 (a basic model that does not calculate how fast you are going, like I would show any speed on a stationary bike !!! ). If you can ignore the beep when you are not working out hard enough it could measure your calories all day.

Love it, makes the calories on MFP look low. Most (if not all) will use a chest strap. Make sure you wet the contacts to get it working properly from the get go.
  • mormas
    mormas Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I just bought a Polar F11 from ebay. I had been looking for a cheap Polar heart rate monitor for a while. It watch was an ex display item which is no longer made, but I only paid £5.99 plus £3.99 postage. I also bought from ebay a brand new chest strap and transmitter for £14.99 plus £2.99 postage (Total £27.96 delivered). On the normal internet sites they retail for around £89.99+.

It may be worth looking at his site and buying seperates, but remember if you are buying a second hand strap and transmitter, It may be covered in another persons sweat and skin particles, I would suggest you always go for a new chest strap and transmitter at least.
  • Sofpt
    Sofpt Posts: 2
    Options
    i use a garmin 405, and i love it
  • bassettpig
    bassettpig Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    It may be worth looking at his site and buying seperates, but remember if you are buying a second hand strap and transmitter, It may be covered in another persons sweat and skin particles, I would suggest you always go for a new chest strap and transmitter at least.

The strap and transmitter are washable and in fact SHOULD be washed every so often, both to insure that the transmitter functions properly and simply for cleanliness (do you want to wear even your OWN sweat for years in the strap if you don't wash it?) so I don't know that this is a reason to pass up a good deal on a 2nd hand HRM.
  • chrisprice1984
    chrisprice1984 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    are these available in the UK ?
  • lydt5880
    lydt5880 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all you help!! =)