Anyone running to lose weight?

Options
tgirl0825
tgirl0825 Posts: 10 Member
edited January 2017 in Introduce Yourself
Ready to get my diet back in check and start training for the Chicago Marathon in October! If you're new to MFP, keep using it and it will work!

Replies

• lowcarbog
    lowcarbog Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My ultimate goal is to run 1/2 marathon. I am targeting March 2018. I have been dealing with a stress fracture for well over a year but I should be cleared to start training next month and yes, I am using running as a weight loss tool also.
  • lisawants2bskinny
    lisawants2bskinny Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting to run in hopes of getting healthy and lose weight
  • tgirl0825
    Options
    Good luck! I have had a stress fracture twice on the same ankle so I hope you heal quickly! I hate wearing a boot!
  • ellielove2017
    ellielove2017 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I don't like to run outside when it's cold, but I've got a 5k in March so it's time to get training! It's good to schedule things in advance like races cause it forces me to get in shape cause I want to do well. Good for everyone and their running goals!
  • runningkel
    runningkel Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    My goal this year is to run 1000 miles and 4-half marathons. The first is coming up mid-March! I have definitely been running better since I started back on track eating-wise!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I run, but it's not helped me lose weight... training for a half last year I actually gained a couple of pounds, got rungry....
  • tgirl0825
    Options
    I ran Marine Corp Marathon last year and gained but did not track all my food. I think I thought I could eat more than I actually could after an 18 mile run!
  • Mizzaf
    Mizzaf Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I run, but last year my diet was letting me down. Hopefully this year the weight will dos off. Ive entered a few races already, not sure if I can sign up of another marathon. The one i completed in october really took it out of me, couldn't walk properly for days!! :#
  • tgirl0825
    Options
    Understand! I basically quit running after my full last year because I was burned out with all the training but man I packed on some lbs this year. Hoping to get it all off and then some....good luck! Half marathons are my favorite!
  • tmurnin1
    tmurnin1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I ran Chicago in 2016 - it's a lot of fun. It can be hard to lose weight if you're really training for a distance run because you get so hungry and you tend to eat a lot of carbs for the energy. Lots of people add weight during marathon training instead of lose it. One suggestion is to get your carbs via whole fruits rather than bread and grains. It's ok to have pasta/rice 1x/week before your long run, but if you really want to lose weight, I'd limit it to that.
  • jason3105
    jason3105 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Good luck with Chicago. I've heard it's a fun run. After taking a year off, I'm considering another marathon this year. My last was New York in 2015.
  • Derfmen64
    Derfmen64 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm running, but only the shorter distances. I'll probably sign up for the Soldier Field 10, since that used to be my favorite run. Anything longer, gives me knee and ankle problems. Good luck on the marathon! It takes dedication for sure. I spent a year training for the Chicago one, then hurt my ankle and ended up in a boot a few weeks before the race. So, I spent the next year training again and finally finished. It was fun training with friends, but eventually it started to seem like a chore. Now I do it to get outside and enjoy being by the lake.
  • Mayesy23DAZ
    Mayesy23DAZ Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hey... aim to do 10 miles a week. 4x 30mins slow fat burning pace. Nothing beats a good run!
  • Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I don't like to run outside when it's cold, but I've got a 5k in March so it's time to get training! It's good to schedule things in advance like races cause it forces me to get in shape cause I want to do well. Good for everyone and their running goals!

I too scheduled a 5k in March, a colleague of mine ran 5k races every month and lost all her weight. I might do one every other month.