Quest for 20 straight pull-ups

Options
2»

Replies

• Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Cylphin60 wrote: »
    Thanks, I need to work on keeping my legs still as I get tired.

That's my issue right there. I'm forcing myself to just stop when I can't resist the urge to kick a bit. It is getting easier as I get a bit leaner too, but the leg movement needs to stop.

I wouldn't stop because of a little leg movement, as long as it's for only the last few reps. If it's all the reps I would focus on negatives (you can't kick during a negative), or even doing slow ones with an assist band (there's no shame in it, that's how I got started). Good luck!

Thanks for the tips @singletrackmtbr - I started with a chair behind me and toes resting on it for assists lol. I can do 10 now with near perfect form, 12-14 jerking around lol. I do need to do more negatives though. I've read those are excellent for strength building.

Anyway - did you send a FR earlier? I had a notification that you did, but no request showed. I tried to message you and kept getting "server errors"...
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

That's my issue right there. I'm forcing myself to just stop when I can't resist the urge to kick a bit. It is getting easier as I get a bit leaner too, but the leg movement needs to stop.

I wouldn't stop because of a little leg movement, as long as it's for only the last few reps. If it's all the reps I would focus on negatives (you can't kick during a negative), or even doing slow ones with an assist band (there's no shame in it, that's how I got started). Good luck!

Thanks for the tips @singletrackmtbr - I started with a chair behind me and toes resting on it for assists lol. I can do 10 now with near perfect form, 12-14 jerking around lol. I do need to do more negatives though. I've read those are excellent for strength building.

Anyway - did you send a FR earlier? I had a notification that you did, but no request showed. I tried to message you and kept getting "server errors"...

I did send one. Strange. Perhaps I've been banned. I'll try again. Great progression. 10 in good form is better than most!
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

I did send one. Strange. Perhaps I've been banned. I'll try again. Great progression. 10 in good form is better than most!

LoL, I don't think you're banned. Sending one - I just wanted to make sure because I had not seen that before.

edit: Got it :)
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I like your idea and plan. Pullups are tough and so rewarding when you can actually do them. Trying to get to 20 is a noble and difficult endeavor...good luck.
    Nice form singletrack! Awesome
  • singletrackmtbr
    Options
    I like your idea and plan. Pullups are tough and so rewarding when you can actually do them. Trying to get to 20 is a noble and difficult endeavor...good luck.
    Nice form singletrack! Awesome

Thanks, it's a work in progress!
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    https://youtu.be/WnBvr66cwUs

Here is day 2...I took out all the dead time between sets. Hopefully these are a little more strict :#
  • singletrackmtbr
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Overall that looks a hell of a lot better. The first set was the best. You took your time on the up and down without any jerking, and hit a true dead hang in between. I say keep this your focus and try to slow down the time at the top (get a good squeeze of the lats there) and the negative even more. Pullups are awesome for negatives because if you fail you can just let go of the bar, where other exercises if you failed you're probably dropping a weight on your head.

I would be willing to sacrifice numbers in the beginning to keep this level of control. It will pay off big time later.
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I found doing as many pull- ups as you can do every set is too much of a heart rate spike, leaving you feeling fatigued. I think it's better to do more sets of less reps. You can hold your last rep and go side to increase the resistance on each arm at a time. You can check out the bartenders on Youtube.
  • McCloud33
    Options
    mgalovic01 wrote: »
    I found doing as many pull- ups as you can do every set is too much of a heart rate spike, leaving you feeling fatigued. I think it's better to do more sets of less reps. You can hold your last rep and go side to increase the resistance on each arm at a time. You can check out the bartenders on Youtube.

I'm doing them trying to leave 1-2 in the tank with every set...45ish seconds between sets.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I use 20 and 40 lb chains around my neck to add some resistance 20 pull ups is a great goal good luck I put a Pull up machine/ roman chair in my living room every time I walk by it I do 10-15 some days I'm over 400 pull ups.. Goals are addicting!!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    WAY better!
    Another thing that no one mentioned yet and sometimes gets mixed opinions about, but it one thing I'd wish I'd started doing long ago. Don't stop pulling when you chin gets over the bar. Try to pull as high over the bar as you can. Now this doesn't have to be done every time you practice pullups, but I think incorporating it into at least some of your training is going to make a big difference in the long run. Once you are nearing the end range of motion, the difficulty of squeaking out another inch or 2 is exponential.
  • McCloud33
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    WAY better!
    Another thing that no one mentioned yet and sometimes gets mixed opinions about, but it one thing I'd wish I'd started doing long ago. Don't stop pulling when you chin gets over the bar. Try to pull as high over the bar as you can. Now this doesn't have to be done every time you practice pullups, but I think incorporating it into at least some of your training is going to make a big difference in the long run. Once you are nearing the end range of motion, the difficulty of squeaking out another inch or 2 is exponential.

Especially if you're wanting to move to muscle ups. When I've done weighted pull-ups in the past I've noticed a big difference with going more chest to bar opposed to chin. That's more of an explosive movement in my opinion though and hard to do if I'm going slow and strict.
  • singletrackmtbr
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    WAY better!

I agree,and you are don't actually have to achieve it, but if you're TRYING to, it will help ensure you aren't short changing yourself at the top by craning your neck to get the chin over the bar and helps you get a squeeze up there.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Good luck with that!

FWIW, I spent 3 months doing 100 pushups, 50-60 dips and 20-40 neutral grip pull-ups a day and totally wrecked my elbows. Upper body and arms looked great but developed severe tendonitis in both elbows.

Stopped doing these exercises for a month and the elbows still hurt a bit when I do bench presses and overhead presses 2x's a week. Wear an elbow strap on each forearm to attempt to reduce the stress. I could do 20-25 pushups, 15-20 dips and 8-10 pull-ups in a row, which was good enough for me, before I stopped doing them.

May ask for an ortho referral to get some cortisone shots if the pain doesn't go away entirely on it's own in another couple of months.
  • McCloud33
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Good luck with that!

FWIW, I spent 3 months doing 100 pushups, 50-60 dips and 20-40 neutral grip pull-ups a day and totally wrecked my elbows. Upper body and arms looked great but developed severe tendonitis in both elbows.

Stopped doing these exercises for a month and the elbows still hurt a bit when I do bench presses and overhead presses 2x's a week. Wear an elbow strap on each forearm to attempt to reduce the stress. I could do 20-25 pushups, 15-20 dips and 8-10 pull-ups in a row, which was good enough for me, before I stopped doing them.

May ask for an ortho referral to get some cortisone shots if the pain doesn't go away entirely on it's own in another couple of months.

I'm only doing it 3 days a week, so hopefully I won't mess up any joints. I did a 10,000 push-up challenge about a year and a half ago and that was a brutal month...basically 500 push-ups 2 days, 1 rest day, repeat.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    much better form, you are well on your way.
  • singletrackmtbr
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Good luck with that!

Sorry to hear that. Were you doing strict form on pullups with a slow eccentric? If you were swinging, kipping, or coming down too fast that could be definitely shred the ligaments and tendons. Hope you feel better!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that. Were you doing strict form on pullups with a slow eccentric? If you were swinging, kipping, or coming down too fast that could be definitely shred the ligaments and tendons. Hope you feel better!

No swinging or kipping. Controlled descent. Using neutral grip to supposedly prevent the problem but it didn't help.

Self diagnosis leads me to believe that it is an injury to the ulnar collateral ligament which includes a couple of tendons that attach between the medial epicondyle (a bone protrusion at the bottom of the upper arm (humerus) and the end of the ulnar forearm bone. The pain is right at the tip of the medial epicondyle.

If this is a proper diagnosis, I've got a form of medial epicondyilitis (aka golfer's elbow), which has been know to be caused by weight lifting among other sports activities (most commonly golfing). Here's an excellent description of the problem and the ways to treat it:

http://www.houstonmethodist.org/orthopedics/where-does-it-hurt/elbow/medial-epicondylitis-golfers-elbow/

The pain is not severe and I can still use both arms for BP and OHP with only minor discomfort but am laying off the pull-ups, pushups and dips until the discomfort goes away. If that doesn't happen w/in a couple of months, I'll ask for a referral to an orthopedic surgeon for a professional assessment and to get cortisone shots which won't fix the problem permanently but if past experience holds true, should relieve the pain.

• singletrackmtbr
    Options
    Sounds like you've got it under control. Feel better!