I want to kill it at the gym...

Options
What do you tell yourself when you want to kill it at the gym?!

Replies

• thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I took the time to come here, might as well make best use of that time.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Not sure I understand what you're asking.

If I already want to kill it at the gym, I don't have to tell myself anything.

If I'm not feeling it, and find myself trying to talk myself out of going, I promise myself I can do my favorite exercises when I get there (squat, bench, deads) and be done.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I tell myself to make small daily improvements while pacing myself too because it is easy to overdo it. You don't have to accomplish a year's worth of fitness in one day, and CANNOT. If you don't know what you're doing and "kill it", tomorrow you will be posting about soreness, pain, and/or DOMS. Have fun!
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I always write down my work out. I go and make every minute count. It helps a lot to play some great, motivational music that pumps you up. I also sometimes bribe myself with a protein bar or coffee afterwards, but honestly, for me I love lifting so much that I'm always ready to crush it. It's cardio that I have to try and stoke myself up for.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    There are definitely days that I feel more aggressive towards my workout, but I don't really tell myself anything. I just embrace the days I feel like being amped up and appreciate the fact that my milder days are for balance (because you can't stay hyped up every day, nom'saiyan?)
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Are you thinking that way in order to motivate yourself or to impress others? All for it if it's the former, not so much if the later.

Funny thing is that I just got a free membership for a gym via Medicare. Big gym w/lots of equipment - - machines, free wts, cardio, crossfit and pool.

Went there for the 1st time to use the facility yesterday. Walked around and "looked" at everything to see if they had anything that I wanted to use that I didn't have at home already, which includes a full Olympic weight lifting set up in the garage, a Concept 2 rower and LeMond spin bike inside plus a Crossfit power sled, battle ropes and 200# tractor tire set up in the backyard.

Did a little wall ball tossing and spent a few mins on the Stairmaster but ultimately I just spent time in the hydrospa, steam room and dry sauna. Had a wonderful time just relaxing at the gym.

That's all I'll be using my gym membership from now on. LOL!!
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    The gym is my daily release. It's the one thing I look forward to every day. Especially now that I have a training partner that keeps me on my toes.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Absolutely nothing. The program is written. The percentages are set. All I have to do is show up and do it. No killing. No "let's add a bit extra" to the bar, at least without my coaches consent. Do the work day in day out, the long term results speak for themselves.

I get a lot of grief for this- no adding- nothing less than- nothing more than.

You just do what the program says.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I say "Come on Nancy, grrr you gonna feel so good when you done, you hot stuff!" Yes, I do, and I do say it in English. ( I'm Mexican )

This is really awesome if your name isn't Nancy!

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i don't want to 'kill it' every time i go to the gym. lifting settles and integrates me. i don't see the point of going out of my way to get myself all riled up and snorting before i get started and do anything.

it's sort of fun to watch some of the mega-lifters going through that whole mountain-gorilla performance to psych themselves up, but only from the popcorn zone. me, i like 'ordinary' workouts. it's really satisfying to just go, week in and week out, and do my thing while my body quietly makes itself stronger and better at it in the background.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I just follow my programming which means there will be sufferfest days and mellow days. Tonight is going to be pretty light and easy in the weight room...tomorrow is going to be a pretty intense interval session on my bike and Saturday is going to be a sufferfest in the weight room.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Absolutely nothing. The program is written. The percentages are set. All I have to do is show up and do it. No killing. No "let's add a bit extra" to the bar, at least without my coaches consent. Do the work day in day out, the long term results speak for themselves.

"Plan the lift and lift the plan."
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

Preach. And the people who tell me, "it's ok, just add weight" are the ones who also can't figure out why they are stuck at the same weight and I keep adding to my maxes.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    "It's gains o'clock MF...lets do this!"
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I ask myself what Dom would do.*

*I really don't.
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Good clean food a few hours prior with a chunk of carbs. Energy drink/preworkout, good music and just push to beat my previous day in there. Try to shave off time from my 5 mile elliptical cardio session, or run longer if I'm doing treadmill working on my 5k time. As for lifting maybe try that extra 10-20 lb slot. Push out that extra rep or two. If anything I've surprised myself where I had been lifting "comfortably" when I should have been a good 30-40 lbs heavier while still maintaining good form and proper reps. Days like that I leave the gym feeling like I won the olympics, it's a great feeling