reliable scale?

Options
My scale gives erratic readings -- as in, it varies up to 2 lbs up or down within 1 minute. I know I shouldn't obsessively weigh myself 4 times in a row, but now that I noticed that the readings aren't consistent, I feel like I should take multiple readings and then average them!

But really this is demoralizing and I'd prefer a better scale. My question: are all affordable battery-operated bathroom scales (mine is from Weight Watchers, but it's 5 years old) this unreliable, or is there a better one?

9504067.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• rosebslim
    rosebslim Posts: 27
    Options
    Hi

I have a set of Tanita battery scales that measure fat as well. Mine are about 25 years old, but I have never had any problems with them. They are very accurate and never vary unless I put them on a different surface, but I always weigh in the same place. Don't know what the newer models of this make are like, but maybe some online research on reviews for the make would be helpful to you and identify which are current models and how much they are.

Here is a link to one set of Tanita scales via Amazon UK, not sure if they are available on Amazon.com, didn't check there. Anyway, the reviews look pretty good.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000BB0BVG/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=103612307&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0000AL3ET&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=0G499AFMV74SB41E926E

HTH :happy:
  • jlschuh44
    jlschuh44 Posts: 218
    Options
    Mim-

Sounds odd? Make sure you're on a good hard surface....or you will get erratic readings. Perhaps it's time for
    a new scale. My scale differs a bit from my sister-in-laws...but as long as it's consistent..I'm happy.
    Good luck!

Jerry
  • UnclePeter
    Options
    I was experiencing the same problem with an old bathroom scale. Went on-line and did some research. Settled on the Tanita HS-302 Solar scale from http://www.thecompetitiveedge.com for about $50. It is very accurate, large digital display & measures tenths of a pound.

Best of Luck

Peter
  • karencharron
    karencharron Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Before you weigh yourself, zero the scale. Most good scales allow you to do so. If you can not zero the scale, you might want to get a new one. You do not have to spend a fortune either. Weigh yourself once, and that should be it

K
  • paradog
    paradog Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    buy a new scale, place it in the same location on the floor every time you use it, make sure it is zeroed out before getting on and lastly......try weighing in once a week
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    My scale gives erratic readings -- as in, it varies up to 2 lbs up or down within 1 minute. I know I shouldn't obsessively weigh myself 4 times in a row, but now that I noticed that the readings aren't consistent, I feel like I should take multiple readings and then average them!

But really this is demoralizing and I'd prefer a better scale. My question: are all affordable battery-operated bathroom scales (mine is from Weight Watchers, but it's 5 years old) this unreliable, or is there a better one?

9504067.png

Mine is very reliable, although also digital and battery operated: http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Digital-Bathroom-Technology/dp/B001KXZ808/ref=dp_cp_ob_hpc_title_2
  • mimmish
    mimmish Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your advice. I'll try a new scale that I can "0" -- mine doesn't seem to have that option. And of course I should weigh myself less frequently -- it's just hard not to beg the scale to give me some encouragement (stupid thing rarely complies anyway).
  • tonilizzy88
    tonilizzy88 Posts: 968 Member
    Options

9504067.png

mine do the same however i know its becasuse my flor is slightly unevern but then again they all are in my house. so ive drawn little lineson the floor and if the scales move i put them back where my lines are lol.... it can differ 1/4 of a pound now but i go on it 3 times and the one that is the same twice is what i go with.