weight gain from a cheat day?

Options
I had a cheat day yesterday ate 300 over my calories and this morning ive gained just over a lb is this water or fat.

Replies

• justaloozer
    justaloozer Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Definitely water. This happens to me every "cheat" meal.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    yes it is just water. it would take 3500 calories to gain a pound of fat.

I have eaten Thai or Sushi and gained FIVE pounds overnight:sick:

By day 3 I am down 6. The scale will fluctuate througout the day, so don't go frettin' bout a few extra calories cuz stress makes you store fat!! :wink:
  • ylandra
    ylandra Posts: 5
    Options
    It's probably water. 300 calories by themself are not going to make you gain a pound. Are you making sure to drink enough water and not take in too much salt (sodium)? If you don't your body will retain fluid and make you gain some weight back.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Water from extra sodium or carbs most likely. Might even just be a normal daily fluctuation and have no relationship to what you ate yesterday.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    It's water weight. It's not humanly possible to gain fat over night. You would have to consume 3,500 calories over your regular 'maintenance' cals.
  • giammarcor
    giammarcor Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    My guess is it's probably water and solid waste to a certain extent. Let's look at it realistically, it takes 3500 calories to gain a pound, so unless you ate that much you shouldnt gain. I've had this happen to me where I'll go over my calories and maybe have some things I shouldn't have only to find a weight gain the next morning. Then in a matter of a couple of days, I lose that pound plus more. So, I assume it's the body holding on to some extra calories until it regulates itself.
  • misscfe
    misscfe Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    It could be water weight, bloating or something else. I could take it lightly and if you aren't back at the previous weight after a couple days then you may have really gained a little but I really doubt it after just one cheat day.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    It's def water. Just drink some extra today to flush it out and you'll be ok. I had a cheat meal yesterday at lunch and I know that if I weighed myself today, I'd be up in the scale.. so thats why I'm giving it to at least thursday or friday before I weigh again.
  • Jennra
    Jennra Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing - more calories though. I am glad to hear that it is water. :)
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    One day last week, a relative was visiting and circumstances led us to eating out twice in one day. I did awesome and stayed underneath my caloric goals, even exerciszed, but I still gained at least 2 lbs from all the sodium. It's water weight.
  • OURLADYPAULINE
    OURLADYPAULINE Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You might have a bowel movement formin'...don't stress about it.... :wink:
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    You might have a bowel movement formin'...don't stress about it.... :wink:

Of course you are right, but lets hope it's water because I wouldn't wish a 2 pound BM on my worst enemy.
  • clleste
    clleste Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    ROTFL!!!! "I wouldn't wish a 2 pound BM on my worst enemy. Hilarious!!!