Question

Options
Most people on here suggest to set your macros at 40%carbs,30% fat & 30%protein.

Now would that help to lose weight or what, I'm not really sure I understand

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Idk about "most". Mine are 35p, 30f, 30c. I'm going lower calorie higher protein. That changes depending on how much exercise I get.

Do what works for you. It's just a tool, not an absolute.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    The only thing that matters for weight loss is a calorie deficit. Some people find it easier to stick to that deficit with a different macro percentage than MFP gives you when you sign up (50/30/20). Personally I've mostly stuck to the default, sometimes going 45/30/25, and felt fine.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I usually stick with the recommended, if anything I up the protein a bit. Some people swear by certain percentages but my experience is that calorie deficit is more important unless you are trying to build muscle or have cardio goals.
  • Troutsy
    Troutsy Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    The only thing that matters for weight loss is a calorie deficit. Some people find it easier to stick to that deficit with a different macro percentage than MFP gives you when you sign up (50/30/20). Personally I've mostly stuck to the default, sometimes going 45/30/25, and felt fine.
    Agreed.

OP: Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit. People adjust their macros based on personal preference. Mine are 35/30/35 I think. Adjust your macros to goals that you will keep you satiated through out the day.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Mine are 35% carb, 35% protein, 30% fat currently. I eat higher protein because I lift weights. Your macros should be fine. Weight loss comes from eating fewer calories than your body burns regardless of your macros.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I usually stick with the recommended, if anything I up the protein a bit. Some people swear by certain percentages but my experience is that calorie deficit is more important unless you are trying to build muscle or have cardio goals.

Speaking purely in terms of weight loss, calorie deficit is all that matters. Macros can make a difference for satiety, workout performance and retention of lean body mass, so in that sense they're worth playing around with if any of those things matter to a person - but arranging your macros at any particular ratio isn't going to make any significant difference as far as increasing/decreasing the rate of weight loss.

Mine are set in the neighborhood of 40/30/30 (carbs/fat/protein) because I find it offers me the best satiety while putting me where I want to be as far as proteins and fats go. I don't obsess over hitting macro goals, but the way I eat puts me at least somewhere close most of the time without having to do much conscious tweaking of my diet.

OP, here's a good read on setting up your macros, along with some explanations of why: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1
  • Jokerz9
    Jokerz9 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    That doesn't help you to lose weight, because losing weight depends on how much carb,protein,calories and fats you are eating per mean and that should be clean carb and fats. If you need any help, feel free to text me.
  • Michelle2622017
    Michelle2622017 Posts: 17 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I only pay attention to calories and I ignore fat, carbs, etc... I agree with those who have said that weight loss results from a sustained calorie deficit.

I have found that if I don't want to be hungry, I end up eating pretty healthy. It just works out that way because I am trying to get the best bang for my calories. And I eat things I like. I do not drink any calories.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Jokerz9 wrote: »
    That doesn't help you to lose weight, because losing weight depends on how much carb,protein,calories and fats you are eating per mean and that should be clean carb and fats. If you need any help, feel free to text me.

Whilst a certain % split doesn't mean much in regards to weightloss, (you can have that split but be in surplus), you don't need to eat a certain amount or type of macros or calories per meal. Meal size, breakdown and timing is personal... Do what works for you!

I disregard % breakdowns - I tend to keep protein and fat (grams) constant and move carbs depending on my goals. When I'm prepping for comp, fat does get lowered, and protein if really desperate!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Its not the macros that help us lose weight, its eating less calories than we burn. Set your macros to whatever you prefer. I just left mine at the pre-set ones. Its all about CI/CO.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

please stop saying that when its WRONG.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    rosej31 wrote: »
    Most people on here suggest to set your macros at 40%carbs,30% fat & 30%protein.

Now would that help to lose weight or what, I'm not really sure I understand

its the calorie deficit that helps you lose weight... chose macros that help you with this (some people like low carb, some low fat etc etc)

40/30/30/isnt a bad starting point. mine are 40/35/25 because 25% of my calories from protein is plenty, and i work better with slightly more fat.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

Please don't. There is no such thing as a clean and dirty carb.

Just concentrate on calories. Eat less than you burn.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options
    lordgod2 wrote: »
    i burn 1000 on exercise...i should eat less?? lol

How do you burn 1000 on exercise? That sounds way too high.

Calories you burn, >CO is the total energy expended by your body in a day. Most of that comes from just living. Read up on BMR and TDEE.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options
    Elliptical numbers, theyre accurate bc i put in age weight height

They are far from accurate. Work on only half those calories to eat back then adjust after 6 weeks if needed.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    im at gym on elliptical from 4-8 am. daily. ith pushups and some cycling but mostly cardio. going at fat then slow then fast intervals

you do 4 hours of cardio and only burn 1000 cals?! :huh:
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Nonsense.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options
    Elliptical numbers, theyre accurate bc i put in age weight height

They are far from accurate. Work on only half those calories to eat back then adjust after 6 weeks if needed.

no actually they are accurate, depends on the machine , ive emailed the Precor company ,trust me

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/estimating-calories-activity-databases-198041

This is a good read on estimating calories burns.

We have all been where you are, believing woo as I call it.

Keep reading and you'll start to see that what we once thought was gospel is actually a load of manure. And once you realise it you start to achieve your goals and sort of get angry that you were lied to for years.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    so i might only burn 500 i n 2 hrs...???. but i eat 1400!!! no wonder im gaining ☹☹☹☹

if you have questions about your weight loss journey, why not start your own thread?