Sick for the past 2 days

Options
I have been sick for the past 2 days, bad congestion and a horrible cough. I wanted to start working out but i don't know if i should rest or sweat it out of my system. Mind you i know nothing about working out.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I train if my illness is above my neck, but take it a bit easier during the session if I feel I need to. Below the neck I take time to rest... That's just my own guide

I've had a sore throat and stuffed up nose for the past 3 days.... And trained like normal, surprisingly well for how I felt!
  • jen_092
    jen_092 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    For me personally, I try to do what I can when I'm sick because I've been known to use it as an excuse for taking a long break. Also for me personally, I do worry about my breathing whenever I'm sick because I have exercise induced asthma and it just wouldn't be a fun combination. Try walking if you're up for it, maybe? Feel better!
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    If you go to a public gym please stay home just in case you are contagious. I have had a cough and something funky in the back of my nose for two days as well. I ran yesterday in the snow and felt better, but tried lifting today in my nice cozy house and felt worse. You just never know how it will go when feeling under the weather. I wish there was a definitive answer to the question, but all I can say is if you feel good go. If you don't, or you feel worse after starting, rest.
  • MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    It depends are you contagious? If so do everyone else a favor and stay away from the gym for a few days.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    it sounds like you were intending to start with the new year? i'd say do something else - mild - at home until you feel like you're back to normal.

more because you'll probably have a better idea of how much intensity is right for you atm, if you're starting from your 'real' state. taking a few days' delay doesn't invalidate your plans for the entire year.
  • Charlene_1985
    Charlene_1985 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I had a cold with a moderate fever. I ran the day I started feeling like crap and it made me feel worse. The next day I had a 101 fever so I went outside for a walk and fresh air in place of my 6 miler. Yesterday was a rest day so I used my day to take down my Christmas decorations. Today I am just stuffy but feel better and no fever. I'd say just go outside for a walk if you live in an area where you can stay a little warm. But forgo the gym.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I vote no.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    MrsMBS2017 wrote: »
    I have been sick for the past 2 days, bad congestion and a horrible cough. I wanted to start working out but i don't know if i should rest or sweat it out of my system. Mind you i know nothing about working out.
    I'm not sure people read your entire OP. Since you say you "know nothing about working out", wait until you are back to 100% to start a new undertaking. You want to set yourself up for success. Use this down time to decide what workouts you will do and read the HELPFUL sticky posts on this forum about exercising. Get well soon!

• cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    When I have an sinus infection like now, no. As much as I hate missing the gym, my body is already taxed enough, and I don't have the energy to give 100%. That, and I don't want to pass it on to others.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Please people don't go to the gym sick. As someone who is immunosuppressed I would appreciate that. Thankd
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    jenxbowers wrote: »
    For me personally, I try to do what I can when I'm sick because I've been known to use it as an excuse for taking a long break. Also for me personally, I do worry about my breathing whenever I'm sick because I have exercise induced asthma and it just wouldn't be a fun combination. Try walking if you're up for it, maybe? Feel better!

Me too. I can barely walk to the car when I'm sick, let alone try to work out. I almost passed out leaving a voicemail today. It required more oxygen than I was capable of producing :/