Food to avoid for white teeth ?

Options
mandadavs
mandadavs Posts: 4 Member
Hi all,
I wanted to know something. I recently came across this article, http://www.pearldentalburlington.com/blog/teeth-whitening/8-foods-to-avoid-if-you-want-to-keep-your-teeth-white/, where they are discussing about some foods you need to avoid if you want to keep your teeth white. But, most of this of food items are something that I really cannot avoid in my life. I can’t start my day without coffee. And I also love citrus fruits and blueberries are my favorite too. I want to know, does all this really lead to discolored teeth? I don’t have perfect white teeth, and I need some suggestions, or home remedies that can be done to get sparkling white teeth. Also, I want to know more about this, what other food items to avoid to have white teeth ?

Replies

• KerrieMac10
    KerrieMac10 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the article. I don't avoid any foods for whiter teeth. Mix a little peroxide, baking soda and some Of your tooth paste to make a paste and brush with that. It works. A whitening tooth paste and whitening mouth rinse works too
  • 44to44
    44to44 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Some foods do lead to discoloured teeth, but there are so many affordable products out there to whiten teeth now that I wouldn't worry about it too much. I use Crest Whitestrips 1 hr express once in a while when I want to make them brighter - it's like $50/box and lasts for like a year (the ones you use for 2 weeks straight work better but I'm lazy).
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Fluoride/whitening toothpaste, whitening gel and also fluoride/whitening rinse. Regular dentist checkups. And this does not get me that "sparkling white teeth", just healthy, stain free and moderately white.
  • angelxsss
    angelxsss Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I don't think you necessarily have to avoid those foods, just brush right after or if nothing else, rinse with water
  • SeagalDeeDee
    SeagalDeeDee Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Brushing right after you eat(floss too!) will keep food from staining. Dental rinses that remove any plaque also come in handy when you're out and about.Those tiny bottles your dentist gives you are refillable so keep one with you.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Can't see my teeth through my beard anyways. And I can't force a smile. Makes me look like serial killer.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Who has perfectly white teeth anyway aside from people with dentures?
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I just came from the dentist. She asked me the same thing they always ask- do I drink coffee or tea? Yes. I am not willing to give it up. I second the comments above- I think frequent brushing and regular dental care, and accepting less-than-movie star-white is fine for me.
  • dc8066
    dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I'd avoid chewing and smoking tobacco. Bitumen is also bad
  • R_is_for_Rachel
    R_is_for_Rachel Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Teeth discoloration can have a few causes.
    Most common is surface stain from foods drinks and nicotine. These are not permanent and can be removed by lovely Dental Hygienists like myself!

Next up is intrisic stain, smoking is a big cause but also just ageing. This can be improved by teeth whitening through your dentist or in USA with white strips.

One cause of yellowing teeth that most people aren't aware of is acid erosion! Now this is probably very relevant to My Fitness Pal users.

Basically erosion is caused by dietary factors, it thins the enamel (which is what gives your teeth their white appearance) and causes the yellow dentine to show through.

Acid erosion is caused by acids in the diet- fruit juices, smoothies with fruit, carbonated drinks (including diet soda) and excess consumption of fruits. Also NEVER brush after eating or drinking anything acidic!

So bear this is mind