Spartan Racers

Options
Are there any Spartan Racers out here?? Trifecta winners possibly? I woukd like to do 3 Trifecta's in the new year but my eating habits and workouts need to change! What do you guys do to get you through the races?

Replies

• esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Been doing OCR's for a few years now. Earned a 3x Trifecta in 2015. Qualified for and ran OCR World Championships in 2015 and 2016.

Eat healthy. Train consistently (and not too hard, you will just hurt yourself). Be determined to reach the finish line. Anything specific I can give more advice on? What races are you thinking of doing? Most likely you'll want a lot of incline practice - get out and start hiking mountains! Looking for race day hydration and nutrition suggestions?

Feel free to friend and/or PM me. I don't check the forums on a regular basis.
  • huber_19
    huber_19 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    Been doing OCR's for a few years now. Earned a 3x Trifecta in 2015. Qualified for and ran OCR World Championships in 2015 and 2016.

Eat healthy. Train consistently (and not too hard, you will just hurt yourself). Be determined to reach the finish line. Anything specific I can give more advice on? What races are you thinking of doing? Most likely you'll want a lot of incline practice - get out and start hiking mountains! Looking for race day hydration and nutrition suggestions?

Feel free to friend and/or PM me. I don't check the forums on a regular basis.

This year I'm not sure of where I'll be racing expect a beast and possible sprint in Ohio this May. Also, what is healthy eating to you? I hear so many different things I don't know what is "correct"
  • Pam_Shebamm
    Pam_Shebamm Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Me! I started Spartans this year and went on two do a 2X Trifecta. I also tried out a lot of other OCR'S this year. Next year I'm aiming for a 3X or 4X.

Like Emilie said, eat healthy and train consistently. Most of them are up a mountain. Practice grip strength and carry a Home Depot bucket with you everywhere you go.

As far as on course, I like to make friends with the people around me. Even if it's just for a moment, until one of you carries on ahead of the other, it makes it fun. Imagining the finish line and that margarita (or beer, or pizza, or whatever) you're going to treat yourself with after always helps too.

Feel free to add me if you're looking for a like-minded friend.

P.S. - I'll also be at the Ohio races.
  • esjones12
    Options
    If you speak to any serious athlete they will tell you that a diet of beer, pizza, cookies, and so forth are not healthy. They won't fuel your performance in a positive manner. Some people can get away with it due to a high metabolism, but they could perform at a higher level if they fueled their bodies properly. Losing weight is great, definitely increases your performance (assuming you are overweight to start with). But losing weight while eating healthy food will increase your performance even more. In it's simpleist term I would say "healthy" means more whole foods. Less packaged stuff that just requires a microwave.

Ohio is not on my schedule this year. I ran the Beast there in 2014 (stories of hail and cold haunt that one) and 2015. But I'm pretty sure they changed locations this year. I heard last year they made it harder than previous years. Expect a challenge....but it's not going to be a mountain race, so it's definitely a doable finish for the vast majority of people who just keep putting one foot in front of the other.

Don't underestimate the cardio portion of OCR. If you can't get a coach, follow a plan for like a half marathon to help slowly build up your mileage and avoid injury. Work on grip strength and body weight exercises. Slowly add some heavy carries. Get used to doing some burpees.
  • KeepingMyCircleSmall
    Options
    I'm a 44 year old guy working my way back from a bad truck wreck. Ten months ago the tire on my truck blew out sending me into a spin and launching me into the support beam on a highway sign. I broke my left femur in two places and both bones in my left forearm.

One of my goals for 2017 is to complete four obstacle course races. The first one I'm looking at is a mini-Mudder (5 miles) in Atlanta on the weekend of my birthday (April 30). I also know there is a local (NW Florida ) 5k fun Mud Run in May. I would love to do a Spartan race also.

My question is if it would be wise to focus on one "brand" of races instead of a variety of them? Anyone can answer.
    @huber_19
    @esjones12
    @Pam_Shebamm
  • huber_19
    huber_19 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm a 44 year old guy working my way back from a bad truck wreck. Ten months ago the tire on my truck blew out sending me into a spin and launching me into the support beam on a highway sign. I broke my left femur in two places and both bones in my left forearm.

One of my goals for 2017 is to complete four obstacle course races. The first one I'm looking at is a mini-Mudder (5 miles) in Atlanta on the weekend of my birthday (April 30). I also know there is a local (NW Florida ) 5k fun Mud Run in May. I would love to do a Spartan race also.

My question is if it would be wise to focus on one "brand" of races instead of a variety of them? Anyone can answer.
    @huber_19
    @esjones12
    @Pam_Shebamm

I think that no matter the "brand" you will get the same affect...but I am all for spartan races..why? Because I never did a tough mudder or anything else. Being at the spartan race alone gives you such great vibes. Participating in the race will definitely give you the confifence and support you need for anything. I don't know how it is for other races
  • Pam_Shebamm
    Pam_Shebamm Posts: 167 Member
    Options

@huber_19
    @esjones12
    @Pam_Shebamm

I say race a variety. Focusing on one brand gets boring. I primarily do Spartan simply because they have the most events. However, I would prefer to run a Tough Mudder or Savage Race or Bonefrog event over a Spartan any day.
  • esjones12
    Options

@huber_19
    @esjones12
    @Pam_Shebamm

They can actually vary greatly.

A local fun 5k isn't going to have as much hype to it. The obstacles will most likely be on the easy to construct side and not overly challenging. People won't be taking things very seriously. The course may not be well thought out and have backups or whatever.

When you get into the bigger names with multiple race locations....they tend to have their own vibe. Spartan Race is going to be competitive in the mornings (though honestly everyone is super nice 99% of the time and will help you over walls in the open heats no problem). Spartan tends to use the terrain as a big obstacle. If you are near a mountain you will be up and down it as much as possible. Savage Race has more technical obstacles, they've started venturing into ANW style stuff. Tough Mudder is very relaxed and obstacles lean towards team effort to complete, again you can go by yourself though and be fine. Rugged Maniac and Warrior Dash are geared to flat, fast and easy to complete obstacles - very general public aim.

I you are just looking for a challenge and some self confidence building - I'd recommend giving various ones a try. To figure out what you like, don't like, get exposure to a variety of obstacles, etc. Price points can vary greatly too.

Good Luck!
  • KeepingMyCircleSmall
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »

@huber_19
    @esjones12
    @Pam_Shebamm

They can actually vary greatly.

A local fun 5k isn't going to have as much hype to it. The obstacles will most likely be on the easy to construct side and not overly challenging. People won't be taking things very seriously. The course may not be well thought out and have backups or whatever.

When you get into the bigger names with multiple race locations....they tend to have their own vibe. Spartan Race is going to be competitive in the mornings (though honestly everyone is super nice 99% of the time and will help you over walls in the open heats no problem). Spartan tends to use the terrain as a big obstacle. If you are near a mountain you will be up and down it as much as possible. Savage Race has more technical obstacles, they've started venturing into ANW style stuff. Tough Mudder is very relaxed and obstacles lean towards team effort to complete, again you can go by yourself though and be fine. Rugged Maniac and Warrior Dash are geared to flat, fast and easy to complete obstacles - very general public aim.

I you are just looking for a challenge and some self confidence building - I'd recommend giving various ones a try. To figure out what you like, don't like, get exposure to a variety of obstacles, etc. Price points can vary greatly too.

Good Luck!

Thank you, @esjones12 !