is 15 minutes enough

Options
Hi I have kind of a stupid question. I have an Air Climber that I do my cardio on and I really like it, however if I go more than 15 minutes at a time it starts to make my knees hurt. My sister told me that for it to work you have to get and keep your heart rate up for at least 30 minutes at a time. Well I'm just not there yet, so my question is, is 15 minutes enough? Also what if I do 15 minutes in the morning and 15 minutes at night, is that the same as 30 minutes all at one time? Also if anyone knows of a good video for beginner pilates I would love to know. I have the 10 minute solution pilates and I can't do it. So I really need something simple for now. Thanks guys and good luck everyone.:tongue: Happy Friday!!

Replies

• throughHisstrength
    Options
    Hi I have kind of a stupid question. I have an Air Climber that I do my cardio on and I really like it, however if I go more than 15 minutes at a time it starts to make my knees hurt. My sister told me that for it to work you have to get and keep your heart rate up for at least 30 minutes at a time. Well I'm just not there yet, so my question is, is 15 minutes enough? Also what if I do 15 minutes in the morning and 15 minutes at night, is that the same as 30 minutes all at one time? Also if anyone knows of a good video for beginner pilates I would love to know. I have the 10 minute solution pilates and I can't do it. So I really need something simple for now. Thanks guys and good luck everyone.:tongue: Happy Friday!!
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    There are lots of different theories and exercise. Recently I read an article that taking a break during your cario is actually better for you (I'm not sure they mean an all day break) I think it has something to do with letting your heart rate go down and then back up again. Kind of like intervale training.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I have read that you get plenty of benefits from short sessions added up, so I think starting w/ 15 in the am and 15 in the pm would be an excellent thing. Moving, even for a short time is so much better than not moving. When I started working out, I could only do ten minutes on the treadmill!

I really enjoyed the Winsor Pilates starting out. Also, there is a great book called "The Pilates Body" by Brooke Siler that has complete workouts and very good form breakdowns. I like it because you can build your workout with it, as she designates beginner, intermediate and advanced moves, with plenty of modifications.
    :flowerforyou:
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    There have been lots of articles I've read and seen that say that even doing 10 mins at a time 3 times a day has the same benefit - Plus it won't do you any good to hurt yourself then you won't be able to do it at all!! Keep up the good work - as you get stronger you'll do more. :flowerforyou:
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Options
    Whenever you're starting a fitness routine you need to build your stamina up over time. Whatever you do you do not want to go past a point where you hurt or you can cause damage that will set you so far back it will be difficult to get back into a workout routine again.

So, in my view, the answer to your question is yes, 15 minutes is enough because your knees are telling you it's enough. You may have to do some strength training to build up the muscles around the knees to help get them stong enough to go longer during your routines.
  • leg8
    leg8 Posts: 49
    Options
    Winsor Pilates 20 minute maximum burn is a good workout for a beginner. It is quick and challenging when you're first starting out, but it is manageable, and you will notice that it gets easier for you as your body gets stronger. Good luck!
  • sr2000
    sr2000 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    If you can get in two 15 minute workouts, that's great, and if you can build up to a longer workout, go for it, but only do what you can for now. Especially if your knees are hurting, don't push your knees. I have bad kees myself and need to ease up once in awhile.
    Try doing a circuit/interval trype workout
    10 minutes on the machine,
    25 crunches,
    5 minutes walk in place, (shake your legs, relax knees) keep arms moving,
    25 crunches,
    10 minutes on machine,
    5 minutes walk in place,
    stretch.
    I've read that changing up your workouts is best for burning calories, so try to keep adding something different here and there.
  • owensme
    Options
    Actually, I just talked to my doctor about this Wednesday. He says if you do 10-15 minutes 2-3 times a day, it all adds up and does the same thing for your heart AND your weight loss. So - 15 minutes twice a day works! I'd bet your heart rate is up in that 15 minutes anyway. I know mine is! Of course, as we build up our stamina, we can stay on our steppers longer, and will probably need to to get our heart rates up -- or step faster for those 15 minutes!!!
  • Marvyl
    Options
    For what it's worth, 15 minutes is better than no minutes! Take it easy on those knees and work on it very slowly, gradually. To change it up a bit sometimes, try an aquacize class - it's easier on the joints and you can work at your own pace. Bravo to you for getting after it!
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    The GAIAM Pilates beginning mat workout is super easy and they go slow and explain the positions. to you. Plus in the same video they have a Pilates energy boost bonus workout which is great also. It really helped me when I just started doing Pilates. I think I bought it at Target. Good luck:smile:
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    Options
    IMO we all start off slow and at the beginner level with whatever we do. You wouldn't just go out and run a marathon and never had ran before. So 15 min is a good start. Move up do something else when you and your body is ready. And for what it is worth in prevention magazine (going witht he rest in between working out)......they say those who rested halfway through an hour long cycling session for 20 min lost 20% more fat than thos who did an hour straight. Interesting. I bring my heart rate down during my workouts but not for 20 min?

Goodluck

dd :happy:
  • wuzzi
    wuzzi Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    If you can get in two 15 minute workouts, that's great, and if you can build up to a longer workout, go for it, but only do what you can for now. Especially if your knees are hurting, don't push your knees. I have bad kees myself and need to ease up once in awhile.
    Try doing a circuit/interval trype workout
    10 minutes on the machine,
    25 crunches,
    5 minutes walk in place, (shake your legs, relax knees) keep arms moving,
    25 crunches,
    10 minutes on machine,
    5 minutes walk in place,
    stretch.
    I've read that changing up your workouts is best for burning calories, so try to keep adding something different here and there.

This is an excellent suggestion! :heart:
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    If I were you, make sure your heart rate is up for that 15 minutes and try for two workouts a day. And the way I look at it is, 15 minutes is better than no minutes. Do what you can, when you can and hopefully you can build up for a longer time. Exercising is hard enough without being in pain. You don't want to HATE it. Have you tried other forms of exercise that might cause less pain in your knees?
  • RKJR925
    RKJR925 Posts: 254
    Options
    I have had a doctor tell me about a thing called Oxygen Debt. That is where your cells are depleted of oxygen and they use fat for fuel. In order to do this you have to exercise 20 minutes non stop and your metabolism will stay at that rate for 24 hours following. Do it 4 times a week and your metabolism stays at a high level.

As far as intensity and heart rate do the best you can

and of course longer is better.

If you do HIIT training which is sprint for 1 min then walk for 1 min on a treadmill they say at least 20 minutes as well

I mix both and it seems to be working well