Getting Started with fitness

Options
themousevn
themousevn Posts: 13 Member
edited January 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi! My husband and I are both looking to start a 2-3x a week fitness routine. We have a pool with a crappy gym in our neighborhood that we would like to join. We had the idea that we could go together with our daughter and take turns going to the gym while the other plays in the pool with our daughter. Ideally, we would each do a 20 minute workout in the gym and get a good swim on. We are both of normal weight (I am looking to lose a little weight while my husband is looking to build muscle.) We aren't in the best shape and my husband has a slipped disc in his back that acts up from time to time (part of why he wants to work on his core..) When I look up 'getting started working out' I am pretty overwhelmed. Any one willing to share their routine or point me in the right direction to get started? I don't even know hat sort of things to do - the gym has a ton of free weights, so we were both thinking some sort of weight routine for arms/core, the some crunches/push ups? While we have both worked out in the past, we feel like total newbies getting going again!

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I would suggest something like strong lifts 5x5 but make sure that you learn proper form on the compound movements...
  • themousevn
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I would suggest something like strong lifts 5x5 but make sure that you learn proper form on the compound movements...

What are strong lifts? any videos or articles that you would recommend to teach us good form?
  • valadez210
    valadez210 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    good form takes much time to develop! Im not the biggest fan of machines but that I would think would be the safest route without having someone there who can watch your form to prevent injury.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    themousevn wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »

What are strong lifts? any videos or articles that you would recommend to teach us good form?

A quick internet search should give you all the info you need. Strong Lifts 5x5.
  • valadez210
    valadez210 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Id start off higher rep though to start regaining Y'alls endurance 5X5 could be after learning some good form! And working on gaining muscle in 20 minutes is going to be difficult.
  • themousevn
    Options
    valadez210 wrote: »
    And working on gaining muscle in 20 minutes is going to be difficult.

Could we call it 'strength training'? IS that possible in 20 minutes?