I'm new to MFP. Any runners out there?

Options
I am new to MFP. I was a recent weight watchers memeber and reached all but that last 5lbs. Now I'm just trying to eat healthy and stay active. I love to run! I have completed 2 5k's, have 3 more this year and a 1/2 marathon in March 2012. Any runners out there trying to fight through the heat and humidity? I would love a few online running buddies to get tips and info from!

Replies

• paradog
    paradog Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I love to run, but the summer heat has driven me indoors. Getting ready for a 10k in Sept and a 12 mile in Nov. drink water, and more water and more water
  • jscook54
    jscook54 Posts: 6
    Options
    I run. During the summer I run almost exclusively on the treadmill. It is just too hot for me to run outside. I have run/walk a marathon 5 years ago and am thinking about running without the walk a Feb 2012 marathon.
  • road2peachtree
    road2peachtree Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I am learning to love the sport of running :flowerforyou: I move kinda slow, but at least I'm not walking LOL I read in a mag recently that drinking slushies or eating snow cones prior to your run will help keep you cool in the heat. It cools your core temp. I'm going to give it a try one day :drinker:
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I try, first 5K in 4 weeks. :bigsmile:
  • casey_when_u_go
    casey_when_u_go Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner. Done quite a few 5km's, a 10km, and a Half Marathon. Currently training for a 10km in August and a Half Marathon in September.
    I'm in the UK so currently running in the rain :laugh:
    Have sent you an add.
  • RunningAddict
    RunningAddict Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I'm addicted to running lol. Glad to see other fellow runners out there! =)
  • hope324
    hope324 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi! Sounds like you are doing great! I just started running and completed my first mile. My goal is to do a 5k in November.
  • WolffEarl
    WolffEarl Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Lots of us folks run. To avoid the heat and mugginess I run early in the morning, normally around 5:30 am (but I live in Ontario so probably not as dreadful as TX:). I started with 5 k runs about 4 months ago, now run 4 miles every other day and then a longer 6 to 9 mile most weeks. Doing my first official 1/2 marathon in Sept. (run 3 of those on my own so far) but finished a few 10 k also. An alternate days I cycle to give my legs a break. Be well. Enjoy your running.
  • swinginchandra
    swinginchandra Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Hey!
    I always run at night, after dark... I hate the heat, and I hate running indoors. Luckily, thanks to the fact that I'm spending the summer fenced in a national laboratory, it's pretty darn safe. I used to run at night outdoors in San Diego, and my roommates were pretty convinced I was going to die.
    Amy
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I am getting back into running after knee setback earlier this year. I am running 5k nearly daily with a 4-5 mile run once a week if my knees allow. My speed is slow but so thankful and excited to be running again. That's awesome that you are signed up for and doing so many runs!! It really keeps it exciting and is motivating! Best of luck training for the half next spring, that's an awesome goal!
  • HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I started running half marathons last year. I lost 20 lbs in the process but gained half of it back after the training during the winter. Now I'm trying to get my eating under control with healthy choices and I'm back to the training. I'm working on those last few pounds as well.

I run as early as possible (5:30 am) during the summer. It's not easy to get up on the weekends but if I wait, the heat and sun drag me down and I can't complete my long runs. I also take water!

Feel free to add me! :o)
  • garrettnicole92
    Options
    I'm a runner! Well, I'm trying to become one for the second time in my life. Haha. I've ran tons of 5k's, as I was on the track and cross country teams for my high school, but I got out of it my senior year. I'm up to running two miles now, trying to work my way up to three and then work on getting faster!

Welcome to MFP! (:
  • maholmes77
    maholmes77 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone for all of the encouragement!
  • jessradtke
    jessradtke Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I'm currently running 2.5 miles, working my way toward 5K. I just signed up for my first 5K in September, but my goal is to run one before my 41st birthday in August, so I'm looking for another between now and then.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner and regularly run 5Ks (just got back from one, in fact). I'm trying to work on improving my times and working toward 10Ks this fall. I'm in Texas too, and it is sooo hard to train in this infernal heat. Feel free to add me.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I started running in December, and have finished three 5ks, a 4.5 mile, a 5 mile and a 3.5 mile Warrior Dash. My first 10k is next weekend. :drinker:
  • poseyj88
    poseyj88 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'm working on being a runner. I just complete my first 10k and have a 7 mile trail run in about 3 weeks. I try to run EARLY and in neighborhoods with lots of trees. I also have a Nathan's water belt with two little bottles that sit in it. The other thing I do on runs that will last more than 45 minutes or so it take some shot bloks (made by cliff) about 3 miles in. They replace electrolytes and prevent me from feeling nauseous the rest of the day.
  • badwaterultra
    Options
    Hi,

My name is Don. I've been running for 32 years. Have completed 29 marathons, I can't run fast anymore so now see how far I can go. I've run six 50Ks four 50 milers and two 100 milers. I am currently training for a 100 miler in late August.

Looking at your bio I would say you are a runner.

Be glad to pass along any tips you need.

Good luck.
  • sufikitkat
    sufikitkat Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Training for my first half marathon since January of this year and I think my running schedule is now just a part of my routine. Without it I would be lost! i started running to give myself something to aim for and in the process I lost 20 pounds and have gained so much confidence :-) The Running bug bit me good. Good luck with all of your runs!!
  • Virgo09
    Virgo09 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'd like to say I'm a runner. I'm not that fast yet but trying to get there. The next race I have is the San Francisco half marathon (my 3rd one) in a couple of weeks. Feel free to add me if you want. =)