Is working out on an empty stomach okay?

Options
I wake up around 5:30am and go to the gym at 6:00am, so I'm not very hungry. I usually eat 3 carrots before I go just to give me a little something. Is not eating anything before going to the gym good or bad?

Replies

• cahubbard6421
    cahubbard6421 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    If it feels bad for you, it is bad.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    nope - many people work out fasted and then eat after they are done - personally, if I am going to do that (normally on mornings when I swim) - I make sure to have a good snack before bed
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Totally fine to work out "fasted." I hate it honestly. I have to eat prior to the gym, but everyone has their personal preference.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    It's up to you. I get up at 4:30 and arrive at the gym at 5:30 with nothing in my tummy except coffee and/or water. Then I usually don't eat till about 8. I get some great work outs in.
  • sschrock
    sschrock Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I work out everyday without eating first. I take a medication as soon as I get up and I cannot eat anything for an hour after taking it anyways, so that works out for me. My fitness coach did encourage me to have a higher protein snack packed in my gym bag to eat as soon as I'm done working out! I'm thinking of doing a piece of cheese and some almonds. He also said to make sure to stay hydrated!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I go out for a bike ride or a ski before I eat anything pretty often. I don't want to wait to start having fun.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I work out before eating, I always have. If I'm feeling really off, or need something to settle my stomach, I'll eat a small handful of cheerios or something equally bland. But I don't eat anything substantive until after my workout.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    do whatever feels best, as long as you have general good nutrition and aren't starving on a few calories a day. I usually work out on an empty stomach because sometimes i throw up , or i get major heartburn
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I prefer to work out somewhat fasted in the mornings. Having said that, I generally will drink water, a pre-workout, or coffee first, or a combination of those things. So it's not a true fasted state. I also generally eat a snack before bed on the night before an early workout. For me, without putting solid foods in my stomach, I can push harder, longer, and only need some water during my workout. Solid foods before my workout, even if I wait a half hour or so after eating, always make me lethargic. It's not only harder to get started, but harder to keep up my endurance. Dunno why, but that's how it works for me. Everyone is different.
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    its all good...whatever works for your body! there is no correct answer for everyone
  • ksenya03
    ksenya03 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Depends on you and how you feel working out on an empty stomach. I personally can't work out on a completely empty stomach. I need a little something, sometimes it's as light as a mug of tea with milk, usually a banana or a small cup of yogurt is about the amount of food I need to make it through the work out. Most importantly I need water before working out.

Other people may find something different works better for them.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I always do my early morning run on empty and prefer it. If you like a little fuel a snack bar or half beagle with almond butter or peanut butter also works. That is my pre half marathon breakfast.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    In the summer I cycle in the mornings at around 5 AM...I don't eat anything beforehand...'cuz 5 AM.

There is no right or wrong, it's personal preference...why would it be bad?
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    It's fine. I personally don't like it because I feel like I have no energy without good
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    It's fine, and some will say preferable for losing fat (I'm not one of those).
    One of those things that matters most what you prefer and feel good about.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I eat 1-3 hours before I lift, but for cardio I don't really worry.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Unless it's a long run, I never eat before working out. As long as you feel okay, there's nothing wrong with it.
  • rachaelh84
    rachaelh84 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I work out in the morning, and I never eat before I go. The few times I've done it, I feel like I'm going to barf after I really get going. I eat right when I get home, especially after weight days (PB toast w/ banana, honey, & cinnamon, and yogurt).
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I hate working out with much in my stomach. Half a banana, piece of toast sort of thing at most.