Appetite suppression?

Options
I'm always hungry. Like, always. I'm also caffeine sensitive. I've heard coffee and green tea can help suppress appetite, but I can't handle the jittery feeling I get. Ideas for something in between meals to help tide me over?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Feeling hungry isn't the same as starving, and appetite isn't the same as hunger. Eat more if you aren't eating enough!
  • FatChickToNotSoFatChick
    Options
    Water and gum help me if I'm having a tough time not eating out of boredom. Eating more protein to keep me satisfied longer.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    That jittery feeling makes me more hungry. I found the best way to suppress my appetite was to eat. Play around with your food choices. Personally higher protein and higher fibre combinations keep me feeling full longer. Others find higher fat to be filling, and others feel more full on carbs. Trial and error takes time, but it is an individual experience.

Another thing to consider is your calorie goal. Are you hungry because you are trying to lose too quickly? Slowing the rate of loss can make this much more sustainable.
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    drink more water. a lot of folks are dehydrated and think they are hungry verses thirsty...also like poser above, gum or mints...I also feel eating higher protein/fat helps me stay full a TON longer then carb laden meals
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Water and gum help me if I'm having a tough time not eating out of boredom. Eating more protein to keep me satisfied longer.

Water is a great appetite supressant, has 0 calories, and also has the benefit of helping your digestion and hydration levels. Gum helps me to not have the 'munchies' when I'm bored.
  • Control_Dopamine
    Control_Dopamine Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Decaf coffee..studies have shown that decaf coffee actually suppresses appetite more than normal coffee..weird but I verified by finding the research paper..
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Decaf coffee..studies have shown that decaf coffee actually suppresses appetite more than normal coffee..weird but I verified by finding the research paper..

Care to share it with the rest of the class? Please?
  • Control_Dopamine
    Control_Dopamine Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Blah..I'm on my phone ..let me try.
  • cat_lady77
    cat_lady77 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Try spreading out your calories, or eat smaller meals more often. I am constantly hungry too, even with coffee! If you snack, make sure it's something good like carrots or other veggies, maybe some wheat crackers, cottage cheese, yogurt, fruit or other stuff that isn't high in calories & will keep you from feeling super hungry. You could try decaf coffee/tea as well, I have a coworker who swear it works just as well!
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    more fibrous veggies and protein. But there's always the ECA stack Can't recommend that though.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    The calorie deficit is hard, no way around it. Like others have said hunger is not the same as starving. Most of us can eat up to maintenane or over and still be hungry! Stress is the biggest driver of hunger, especially lack of sleep. Staying hydrated, eating just enough to be a deficit for fat loss yet still under maintenance. Get sleep, stay hydrated, eat enough protein/carbs/fats, eat up to maintenance at least one day a week to help keep hormones stable, and there are some natural nighttime supplements that can help with reducing cortisol and extra hunger that also provide muscle reccovery.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Wow. Thank you for posting the link to the study.

"CONCLUSIONS:

Our randomized human trial showed that decaffeinated coffee can acutely decrease hunger and increase the satiety hormone PYY."

A small test with 11 healthy male subjects, but still is interesting. Would like to see a bigger test.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Cool. Thanks. Not sure how much stock we can really put into an 11-person study, but it's at least worth considering.
  • sarajenivieve
    sarajenivieve Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I drink herbal teas no caffine i dont add milk or sugar just get fruity flavours it helps alot! sometimes decaf coffee if iv already had coffee (also caffine sensitive)
  • TarahByte
    TarahByte Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I used to eat several small meals a day but lately I've learned that 3 bigger meals a day works for me. Also eating a later breakfast helps me too. Play around with it. Figure out what works for you.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Sigh. If only. I drink strong coffee all day. Doesn't have that desired effect on me. :/

I can only drink coffee in the morning, as it affects my sleep if I drink in the afternoon. So I switch to water. If this were more than 1 study of 11 men, I might consider switching to decaf in the afternoon. I'd be interested to see more studies.

The study does suggest decaf has better result suppressing appetites than coffee.