Runner-to-be just joined you today!

Options
Hi everyone! I'm a newbie and looking forward to hearing about everyone else's goals, progress and struggles as I start my own journey to better health and fitness. I have a 6-month goal for significant weight loss and improvement to my health. I've been starting walking on the treadmill and working out on the elliptical, a little tennis and weight training when I can fit them in. I'd like to get back to running eventually, slowly, so yesterday I started Week 1 of the 5K101 podcast program - anyone else have an easy and effective running program they recommend? Or have your own running journey to share?

Good luck to all of you in your own goals! :smile:

Replies

• craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!
    I just re-started the Couch to 5K program, but doing it at my own pace. I am still on Week 1 and am comfortable doing 1.5 min run/ 2 min walk intervals. My time is about 30 minutes total not including the cool-down. Being a smoker, this running thing is something difficult for me. But I am proud of what I have done and can do.
    You can do it too!!!
  • jmijaressf
    jmijaressf Posts: 215
    Options
    Welcome! There's nothing like the thrill of heading out the door and going for a run. Good luck to you as you start the C25K program! It's the best one out there to help you get started in running.
  • cmduncan
    cmduncan Posts: 69
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of Couch to 5K also, and the NHS podcasts that accompany it. It has worked for me so far - I'm on week 6. Good luck and happy running!
  • jessradtke
    jessradtke Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome! I started C25K about 6 weeks ago. I'm up to running 20 minutes straight and just signed up for my first 5K this fall. I'm pretty darned proud of it, but if I were to do it over again I would have slow my progress down just a bit more. I pushed myself a little too hard and had to take a short break due to tendonitis. It's hard for me to remember I'm 40 not 20! lol
  • curlyjayne
    curlyjayne Posts: 120
    Options
    Hi
    I managed my second workout today on the treadmill, my goal is to run a mile without stopping.
    It dosent matter at what pace that will improve over time.
    So far i managed the mile on both workouts, I will continue to do this for at least another two weeks before i will move on to running 2k, then 2.5 then 3k and so on unitl i can comfortably run 10k again.
    it will be a struggle but i will get there.
    Please add me as a friend and we can motivate each other.
    curlyjayne
  • jlloyd
    jlloyd Posts: 68
    Options
    Have started the C25K program completed W1D2
  • Davali
    Davali Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 8 of C25K and would never have believed I could have achieved a 28 minute run when I first started. It's a great programme - just need to work on my pace now.
  • MadBabysMama
    MadBabysMama Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Glad to see so many folks doing what I'm doing! And many of you are already pretty far ahead of me down the road, but I hope to catch up to you in a few months! Keep up the great work, guys!
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I started the C25K program in February, ran my first 5K in March (before I finished the program) and finished C25K in late April. This program is a great way to get into running! I am trying to run one 5K a month now (maybe skip a few in the heat of the summer). I am running 3-4 miles a day 4 or 5 days a week.
    Feel free to ask me if you have any questions.....
    OH.... once you are running a bit more a few weeks into the program, it is worth it to go to a running store and get fitted for a great pair of running shoes.... it may prevent trouble down the road.
  • BlondeViki
    BlondeViki Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

I completed C25K last year and I count that as the reason I was able to lose my first 21 pounds! Some stages in the middle are quite hard, but just repeat weeks when you need to and don't feel you have to complete it in the 9-10 weeks and you'll be fine! Seriously, I couldn't run to the end of the road when I started and in my first week only managed 5 of the reps, but I just kept at it til I could do it and last month I did my first 10k race :) Running really becomes a good habit if you let it!

Best of luck with the programme and I hope you achieve your goals :)
  • Cccaroline
    Cccaroline Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Welcome!! I am also doing C25K. I'm starting week 3 tomorrow. I've never been a runner, and this is the first proper exercise programe like this I've done and it's great! Good luck on your journey, and if you want to give and recieve lots of encouragement, feel free to add me:)