Macro tracking?

Options
I know weight loss is all about calories in and calories but how exactly does macro tracking play in? I'm trying to stay close to my macros 40/40/20. Anyone shed some light would be great thanks guys :)

Replies

• jessiquoi
    jessiquoi Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    making sure you eat enough protein will help manage hunger. protein digests slower than carbs, so it stays in your belly longer, keeping you full. (fats digest the slowest of all). if your meal contains a balance of these, you will digest slower than eating just carbs.

that's all I got lol... hope it helps some.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Macros are calories/calories are macros. Just a more specific way to look at them.
    Protein and carbs are 4 calories per gram, fat is 9.
    (Personally I just aim to hit my protein goal and carbs and fats usually fall into place just fine - unless you're intentionally avoiding carbs or fats for some reason.)
  • jester13
    jester13 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Macros are easier to track because companies tend to round calories up. Find your maintenance calories which there are tons of websites for. Each carb is 4 calories and each protein is 4 calories. Fats are 9. So if your maintenance calories are 2100 and you want to lose 1 pound per week start with a deficit of 200 calories. 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight. 180 lbs= 180grams 720 calories. Fats I like to keep low. About .25 grams per pound of body weight. 45 grams = 405 calories. Leaves 775 calories for carbs so 200 carbs. Track for a week and adjust more if losing to fast less if not losing. Hope it helps.
  • noemorales1022
    noemorales1022 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Not much to add to what has been said but maybe the fact that everyone's macros are different for your specific goals and sometimes you have to play with it to see what your body reacts better with. I'm a 50/30/20. P/F/C
  • kearly206
    kearly206 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the responses