How to make chicken not so bland?

Options
Without adding too many calories to it?

I've been eating a lot of chicken and turkey taco meat. I can eat the turkey taco meat all day without a problem but the chicken is really hard for me. I Cook it then freeze it and just pull it the night before I'm going to eat it and then heat it up. I've seasoned it with season salt but it just doesn't taste great.

What do you all do?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Joe's Stuff. Amazing.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    The door of my fridge is filled with various types of hot sauce and marinades.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Depends on what kind of chicken dish I'm making...I have a ton of different marinades or rubs I use when grilling...this time of year, it tends to go into stews and enchiladas.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    When you heat it up after it's been in the fridge...do you stick it in the microwave? If so, try adding a bit of water into the dish to create steam so it's not as dry.

I like hot sauce, dipping it in a bit of ranch, or I experiment with different seasoning shakers from the grocery store.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    Depends on what kind of flavor profile you want.
  • kelseymallen
    kelseymallen Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I really like shake n bake. There are several different flavors to choose from and none of them are terribly high calorie. About 35 calories per serving.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Various flavours of Mrs Dash, a good BBQ rub, etc. are all worth trying. Marinades and sauces that fit in your chosen macro and caloric profile...
  • quartknee11
    quartknee11 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Various flavours of Mrs Dash, a good BBQ rub, etc. are all worth trying. Marinades and sauces that fit in your chosen macro and caloric profile...

When you're making it all at the same time, how do you count the calories per serving?
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I use it in a stir fry, pizza, soup, salad, sandwich if I have pre-cooked meat.
    Herbs, spices, garlic, onion, hot sauce, salsa. If you like a seasoning blend try Mrs. Dash seasoning blends.
    Reheat cooked chicken more slowly in oven or stove top instead of microwave.
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Salt, pepper, marjoram, garlic or onion powder. Don't be afraid to over season, it takes more than you think.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    I marinate skinless chicken thighs in teriyaki sauce and roast them in the oven. The teriyaki sauce I use adds a minimal amount of calories (maybe 20 or so per serving) and the outcome is so tasty, especially with rice and steamed veggies.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I really like shake n bake. There are several different flavors to choose from and none of them are terribly high calorie. About 35 calories per serving.

I <3 pretzel shake n bake.
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    You may never like it. I can't stand left over chicken unless it's cold, it just gets a really gross taste to me when it's reheated.
  • jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member
    Options

When you're making it all at the same time, how do you count the calories per serving?

Figure out how much you're making, then divide by the number of servings

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You may never like it. I can't stand left over chicken unless it's cold, it just gets a really gross taste to me when it's reheated.

I don't like it reheated either. Same with turkey. I like both cold though.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    You can put your chicken plus additional ingredients or sauces in the recipe builder and divide it into portions. By taco meat, I'm guessing you mean it's ground chicken?

Things I regularly add to chicken:
    Marinara sauce
    Lemon, garlic, and white wine
    Salsa
    Taco seasoning packets
    Soy sauce, ginger, garlic
    Cajun seasoning
    Chili in adobo
    Barbecue sauce
    Buffalo or hot sauce

• meeemy
    meeemy Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I put it in marinade the day before i will prepare it.

200 gramm chicken breast ( cut in cubes or just leave it in 1 piece)
    1 teaspoon oil
    1 teaspoon yogurt
    1 teaspoonlemon juice
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    Salt and pepper
    1/2 teaspoon paprika powder
    1/2 onion

Mix it all 2gether n let the chicken marinade in it till u prepare it.
    Tastes amazing if u grill the chicken breast or prepare the chicken breast cubes in a frying pan
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I always use chicken thighs instead of breasts. Way more flavorful in my opinion and much more forgiving if you overcook them. Chicken breasts are way too bland for me, even when cooked properly.
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    For something like boneless, skinless chicken breasts, I usually add it to something strong and yummy; chicken taco soup, chili, but my fav is curry.