Carrot and Coriander Soup (Comfort food at it's best)

Options
Lexie_86
Lexie_86 Posts: 9
I am really big into comfort food and as such ended up really big. So I came up with this recipe that ticks all the boxes, warming, comforting, filling and most importantly LOW FAT

6 Large carrots
1 medium onion
1 medium potato
1.5 pints of either vegetable or chicken stock
2 table spoons of dried coriander
Salt and Pepper to taste

Optional ingredients; Garlic
Henderson's Relish or Worcestershire Sauce

The preparation for this is so easy because it all gets blended at the end, so start by peeling your carrots and potato and put to one side. Peel your onion and thinly slice, place in a hot pan with a couple of sprays of One Cal (or some other low fat cooking oil), whilst the onion gently fries (if using garlic add that to the pan with the onion now) chop the carrot and onion into similar size chunks.

Carefully add the stock to the pan, along with the coriander, carrot and potato, season to taste at this point. (If using Henderson's or Worcestershire add at this point). Place the lid on the pan and leave to simmer until all the veg is soft. Remove from the heat and leave to cool. When the soup is cool place in a liquidiser or blender and blitz until smooth. Return the soup to the pan to re-heat before serving piping hot, if the soup is a little thick add more stock, if it needs thickening add a little cornflour.

This is a great starter for a dinner party just add a swish of low fat natural yoghurt to the top of the soup and serve with home made crunchy bread.

Hope this helps to fill some hungry tummies on those days when we all need a bit of comfort eating

Replies

• jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    That does sound very good, and different than most soups because of the coriander. Might have to try it, thanks!
  • ruffledviolet
    Options
    Agreed it does sound good! Thanks for sharing!
  • estack73
    estack73 Posts: 1
    Options
    Yum! Can't wait to make this!!!
  • LurayneMarie
    LurayneMarie Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    BUMP!! Thanks!
  • Lexie_86
    Options
    Hope you enjoy it guys, and any questions or problems just send me a message
  • sooby1
    sooby1 Posts: 8
    Options
    Great I needed another soup. I will do it this week. Try Squash, red onion and pepper, cut up the same season to tase. let it cool and then blend. Thick and yummy and a free food. Enjoy.
  • jessradtke
    jessradtke Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Sounds lovely, and I have all the ingredients. I know what I'm making for lunch...
  • mathlete99
    mathlete99 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this recipe! When it cools down, I will give it a try.
  • Lexie_86
    Options
    Oh by the way it freezes really well, so if you wanted to make a batch and freeze some ready for a late night dinner or a take to work lunch, you know you've had something that's good for you but has only take 5 mins to sort out
  • Lexie_86
    Options
    Great I needed another soup. I will do it this week. Try Squash, red onion and pepper, cut up the same season to tase. let it cool and then blend. Thick and yummy and a free food. Enjoy.

don't mean to sound a bit dim but what is squash exactly?