One more day to go........ Mondays day one ......

Options
Fingers crossed for me

Does any one have any tips to help me start?

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Have you done some reading? Do you have a plan? Have you gotten the groceries?

For reading, I would start here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest
  • chocolatedori1
    chocolatedori1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have the food in, but not really got a plan soo many diffrent diets out there, i have got lots of fish veg and chicken as ive struggled before i thought id try eating less and training at the gym but wouldnt know where to start with a diet plan i failed in the pst :-(
  • chocolatedori1
    Options
    Thank you for the link looking at it now
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    I failed a lot of times in the past too. Here's what's been working for me: I consume what I would normally, and then frequently review my logs to see if I'm meeting my nutritional needs, and if I'm feeling full and content. If those things are in line, then I don't worry about it. If I'm not meeting one of those, then I look to see where I can change it.

While some people feel it is important to make dramatic changes, in my experience it often leads to failure, because it is so different from how I normally eat. I still have ice cream, cookies, muffins, etc. just smaller quantities of them. I did have to stop bringing them into the house for a while though, because I sucked at not eating the whole pile of them. But as time goes on, it becomes easier.

Read through the links. My suggestion is to just log whatever you eat for a few days to get a good picture of what you are actually eating, and then look for small changes that you can make, which are things you can live with. Don't overwhelm yourself with big changes, not right now. Baby steps. And be kind to yourself. You won't get through all of this without a bad day or 12, so remember that you are human and that when you have a rough day, tomorrow will be new.

Does that make sense?
  • tracykreczmer
    tracykreczmer Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Change one food habit..and add one exercise. People try to revamp their whole lives but honestly its just adjusting your lifestyle..not a diet..say today u cut out one bad food like chips..subb it for carrots with hummus..one small thing..then add one exercise ten minutes of something..each week u add something else..and take away another bad food..its gradual..and forever..and u can do it!
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    cropped-dory-fish.jpg
    I couldn't help posting this because of your profile picture. After thoroughly reading through the stickies and taking the advice already given, stay consistent and persevere. Not every day in a deficit is easy, and you may slip up sometimes, but just keep at it. Good luck!
  • chocolatedori1
    Options
    All of the advice you have given is great and i think the main failing ive had has been due to a massive change then after 3rd week seeing very little results after a huge loss the first 2 ive become defeated and failed .... Cant be healthy yoyo dieting like that

And lol that image is the story of my life!!!!!!
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    All of the advice you have given is great and i think the main failing ive had has been due to a massive change then after 3rd week seeing very little results after a huge loss the first 2 ive become defeated and failed .... Cant be healthy yoyo dieting like that

And lol that image is the story of my life!!!!!!

That realization, right there, was the game changer for me. I still floundered about is bit, but it helped me take the pressure off. To begin to realize that continuing to move forward would still give better results than giving up. I love the first two week drop. It's a great feeling, but it is also not sustainable. Keep reading.
  • chocolatedori1
    Options
    I just really hope i dont fail again, i used to be so healty and it was easy then didnt even need to think ..... but now ..... Eating healty again seems like such a struggle when it really shouldnt be, im hoping making a new habbit of ewting better and exercise might work..... I think its about replqcing one habbit (eating bad) with a new one
  • Shutterbuggg
    Shutterbuggg Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    As other posts have said, small changes can add up. No need to turn your life upside down. Make small changes you can stick with. I personally think that there is no need to follow a "diet plan". It is as simple as calories in and calories out. Find out your calorie goal, log your food, and be realistic. Any weight that you want to lose didn't get on you in a day or week, so don't expect it to come off that quickly. Trust the process and be honest to yourself about what you are consuming. Find things that motivate you to stay on target. For me, it is my FitBit and finding motivation on MFP.
    No need in waiting till Monday to start! Go for a 10 minute walk or substitute a healthy snack today. Allowing yourself to eat however you want and start fresh on Monday doesn't help your cause. Today is as good a day as any to begin taking those steps :)
    Good luck!
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    I just really hope i dont fail again, i used to be so healty and it was easy then didnt even need to think ..... but now ..... Eating healty again seems like such a struggle when it really shouldnt be, im hoping making a new habbit of ewting better and exercise might work..... I think its about replqcing one habbit (eating bad) with a new one

Stop looking at it as eating bad though. Stop defining any of it. Personally, when I'm working out, I eat in a manner that is more supportive of that activity. Maybe focus on logging what you eat, and increasing activity. Just take it one day at a time. You only fail, when you give up and stop trying.
  • marifrie33
    marifrie33 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I haven't bought any special food since starting this weight loss journey. I've lost 22 lbs in 82 days eating the same foods that made me fat. I just try to stay within my calories. I go over lots of times. I also 'try' to run on the treadmill 5x a week, but I end up missing weeks at a time:/ But I'm still happy with the progress I'm making. Slow and steady :)